2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
121 - 140 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
@SciTchr I called the number in your post 106 yesterday, and after a lengthy phone call, I was unfortunately assigned the same case manager as when @ChryslerCares escalated a case for me 9 months ago. I will likely cancel my appointment because it ended with a tremendous amount of frustration for me the first time.
Well, that won't get your problem fixed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, that won't get your problem fixed.
@Waldo I already have personal experience that working with him won't either. I was hoping that this would be a new level of customer service, but it's back to square 1. I could really do without the 2nd round of frustration. I hope the rest of you have better luck.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,508 Posts
@SciTchr I called the number in your post 106 yesterday, and after a lengthy phone call, I was unfortunately assigned the same case manager as when @ChryslerCares escalated a case for me 9 months ago. I will likely cancel my appointment because it ended with a tremendous amount of frustration for me the first time.
I think it would make sense to keep the appointment in case Chrysler will do something this time. Your van was built about the same time as mine so maybe they've decided what to replace on some of the vans.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,447 Posts
@Waldo I already have personal experience that working with him won't either. I was hoping that this would be a new level of customer service, but it's back to square 1. I could really do without the 2nd round of frustration. I hope the rest of you have better luck.
I have to agree with the others that you need to at least see what the dealer comes up with. You have zero chance of a fix if you do not go in.

Reactions: SciTchr

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've given it some more thought based on the feedback. I called the case manager and was advised that he covers the dealerships in my region, which is not exactly what I was hoping to hear. Since I couldn't picture a scenario where the outcome would be different with the same dealer and case manager, I decided that I would give it another shot with a different dealer. As common as this issue appears to be, my hope is that a different dealer may have dealt with it before and knows how to get Chrysler to take care of it. Time (and inevitable frustration) will tell.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,447 Posts
Remember that you can point them to this forum thread for proof that things have been done/fixed in the past.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, there was an interesting development yesterday. It obviously could not be reproduced during a ride-along, but the tech found a Star Online Publication: S2021000005, dated 7/30/2020.

Symptom/Vehicle Issue: The Vehicle May Experience Harsh Shifting

Discussion: The customer may complain that the vehicle has a harsh shifts at times.

These harsh shifts can occur during one or more of the following events:
Upshifting from 2nd to 3rd
Upshifting from 4th to 5th
Downshifting from 4th to 3rd while coasting
Downshifting 2nd to 1st while coasting
During lift foot or change of mind shifts
Repair: Engineering is aware and developing a resolution to address these concerns. A Quick Learn can be performed to improve these concerns. But the concerns may reappear again and another Quick Learn may need to be performed. Valve body and/or transmission replacement WILL NOT correct these concerns.

The last sentence appears to contradict what others have experienced. I have about 12 months and 10,000 miles for them to figure it out before my powertrain warranty is up...

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,508 Posts
Well, there was an interesting development yesterday. It obviously could not be reproduced during a ride-along, but the tech found a Star Online Publication: S2021000005, dated 7/30/2020

The last sentence appears to contradict what others have experienced. I have about 12 months and 10,000 miles for them to figure it out before my powertrain warranty is up...
Thanks for the update. I'm not surprised by the statement since the problem has occurred in newer vans. Unfortunately that implies there really isn't a permanent fix yet.

The Quick Learn did solve the problem for about 7,000 to 10,000 miles each time it was done. Although it was a nuisance to have to return to have it done, it worked for awhile.

I will update whether the problem returns with the new transmission.

·
Registered
944 Posts
  1. "Repair: Engineering is aware and developing a resolution to address these concerns. A Quick Learn can be performed to improve these concerns. But the concerns may reappear again and another Quick Learn may need to be performed. Valve body and/or transmission replacement WILL NOT correct these concerns."
That is an interesting statement from the Star Case mentioned by @knappster

·
Registered
5 Posts
Joining the conversation here, my 2017 Pacifica started occasional hard shifts about a year and a half ago, with the jolting issue starting rarely about a year ago. Dealership of course blew me off with the classic "can't reproduce" after a 10 minute test drive and at the time I didn't think it was severe enough to escalate and figured I'd bring it back when it had a code.

I'm going to be contacting customer care and going back to the dealership this week armed with the knowledge you all provided here. Will report back! I'm curious if they will immediately offer the supposed software fix that was mentioned earlier, or if they'll still be playing the "within normal operation" card.

That said, my vehicle is at 52k miles, and I'm concerned if they do a quick learn to alleviate the issue then it reappears after 60k miles I'll be SOL. Do any of you have any thoughts on if/how I can hold them to repairing it after that when their temporary "fix" fails? I also intend to consult with a lawyer on that in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2017 Pacifica is at about 40k and has started the rough shifting. Going to take the Star Online form with me to the dealer and see what they say.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2017 Pacifica is at about 40k and has started the rough shifting. Going to take the Star Online form with me to the dealer and see what they say.
Wish you luck dude. I just caught mine doing a noticeable and audible jolt on video this morning, hoping that will help make things happen at my upcoming appointment.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have done the owner transmission reset several times recently. Yesterday when driving home, I turned a corner and the transmission shifted HARD 3 times within several seconds. Not good. Felt like if this continues, something is going to break. My '17 Pacifica has just over 30k miles. I bought an extended warranty before the bumper to bumper ran out. I took my van to Atlantic Chrysler today and told them what was happening. 'OK we will do a $89 diagnostic and if its something other than what the Powertrain Warranty covers, your $200 deductible will cover it'. I said, this is a well known problem and I shouldn't have to pay anything. I would like to speak to the manager. Explained the situation and I said should I go ahead and get Chrysler Cares involved. The manager made a note on the repair ticket for some kind of special consideration. Several hours later I got a call that the PCM (powertrain control module) and TCM (transmission control module) were updated and a 'quick learn' was performed. NO CHARGE. The van is driving smoothly. I hope this is a permanent fix.

·
Registered
944 Posts

This has a few thoughtful insights woven into the entertainment....:unsure:

·
Registered
5 Posts

This has a few thoughtful insights woven into the entertainment....:unsure:
I actually JUST decided against getting a Camry because of their transmissions last week. Not that I'll be buying Chrysler ever again either sigh... It's such a shame because I love my Pacifica otherwise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Explained the situation and I said should I go ahead and get Chrysler Cares involved. The manager made a note on the repair ticket for some kind of special consideration. Several hours later I got a call that the PCM (powertrain control module) and TCM (transmission control module) were updated and a 'quick learn' was performed. NO CHARGE. The van is driving smoothly. I hope this is a permanent fix.
Do you have a case number or invoice or anything you can share? I'm getting the run around from the dealership and chrysler cares

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got mine looked at on Thursday and they updated the TCM software (not the pcm though) and did a quick learn. So far no hard shifting or jolting since then. Hoping the software update actually fixed it.

ZenDart, did you point them to the November 2020 manufacturer communication which states this is a known problem? It's on the NHTSA gov website, NHTSA ID Number: 10184679

It describes the problem in detail and referencing it helped me when talking to chrysler cares and the dealership service manager.

EDIT: I see that you showed the the July one, sorry to hear they are still giving you problems... What are they saying, "harsh shifting is per factory specifications"? They've told me that a few times.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got mine looked at on Thursday and they updated the TCM software (not the pcm though) and did a quick learn. So far no hard shifting or jolting since then. Hoping the software update actually fixed it.

ZenDart, did you point them to the November 2020 manufacturer communication which states this is a known problem? It's on the NHTSA gov website, NHTSA ID Number: 10184679

It describes the problem in detail and referencing it helped me when talking to chrysler cares and the dealership service manager.

EDIT: I see that you showed the the July one, sorry to hear they are still giving you problems... What are they saying, "harsh shifting is per factory specifications"? They've told me that a few times.
Dealership wanted $150 to even look at it and maybe the warranty will cover what they find maybe it won't. Chrysler cares was dismissive and said they won't do anything without the diagnostic.

Do you have a link to the November NHTSA report?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dealership wanted $150 to even look at it and maybe the warranty will cover what they find maybe it won't. Chrysler cares was dismissive and said they won't do anything without the diagnostic.

Do you have a link to the November NHTSA report?
The way the site works you can't link to it directly, but it's the most recent one on this page: 2017 CHRYSLER PACIFICA VAN FWD

Sounds like you got both a bad CC rep and a bad dealership. Did you speak to the service manager? You're specifically complaining about a powertrain problem so it's bs they would try to charge you to look at it...

Though come to think of it in my case I brought it to them complaining of hard shifting (and the stall then hard jolt, though I didn't understand what it was then) a year and a half ago during the bumper to bumper warranty, so they may be covering it free of charge as a continuation of that same case (since they didn't do **** to fix it back then.)

121 - 140 of 148 Posts