2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our original battery failed after 26 months of normal use and now 14 months later, the same issue returns. Volt meter when not running shows 11.3 volts and while running, 14.1 to 14.4 I wonder what the issue is with these batteries. The 2nd battery warranty ran out at the end of our factory warranty according to the service advisor. I complained enough that he spoke with the head man and supposedly, today, a new warranty policy came into play. If the 2nd battery is found to be bad, it will be warrantied. Thanks for that! Still, why are these batteries failing? Makes no sense.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Our original battery failed after 26 months of normal use and now 14 months later, the same issue returns. Volt meter when not running shows 11.3 volts and while running, 14.1 to 14.4 I wonder what the issue is with these batteries. The 2nd battery warranty ran out at the end of our factory warranty according to the service advisor. I complained enough that he spoke with the head man and supposedly, today, a new warranty policy came into play. If the 2nd battery is found to be bad, it will be warrantied. Thanks for that! Still, why are these batteries failing? Makes no sense.
What is the build date for your van? (I assume no ESS.)
My van's first battery lasted 28 months then the replacement lasted 4 months and was replaced. I agree that the batteries should last longer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Without going out to check the build date, I want to say April 2016. We purchased new in May of 2016. No ESS that I know of. Service advisor just said "some batteries fail". Seems odd to me. We're in Central FL so heat is a factor for sure but I've never heard anyone talking about short lived batteries. Fortunately it was warrantied.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm beginning to think it has less to do with the batteries and more to do with these vans pulling enough current, even when shut off, to kill these batteries prematurely. My other car is a 2009 Pontiac G8, and uses the same battery as a non ESS-equipped Pacifica. I bought the car used, but as far as I can tell the battery is original. My father-in-law has a Jeep Grand Cherokee - with ESS - and he's had no battery problems. My mother has a 2015 Renegade. No ESS, but also no battery problems.

When I replaced my batteries in my driveway last month, I got some big sparks as I reconnected the terminals, even though the van was shut off. I didn't measure anything (I just wanted to get the job done) but that indicates a pretty good draw.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm beginning to think it has less to do with the batteries and more to do with these vans pulling enough current, even when shut off, to kill these batteries prematurely. My other car is a 2009 Pontiac G8, and uses the same battery as a non ESS-equipped Pacifica. I bought the car used, but as far as I can tell the battery is original. My father-in-law has a Jeep Grand Cherokee - with ESS - and he's had no battery problems. My mother has a 2015 Renegade. No ESS, but also no battery problems.

When I replaced my batteries in my driveway last month, I got some big sparks as I reconnected the terminals, even though the van was shut off. I didn't measure anything (I just wanted to get the job done) but that indicates a pretty good draw.
I agree. I have a wrangler and grand Cherokee with ess and neither have battery issues. One has 50k miles the other 80k. Our brand new Pacifica lasted 37k miles before ess issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts