2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had our 2018 Chrysler Pacifica PHEV since late December and now have approximately 7100 miles on it. We've had our check engine light come on twice (once in March and again yesterday). Both times we took it into our local Chrysler dealership. We live in truck and SUV country--we purchased the car from California and had it shipped to us here--and ours is the only PHEV that this dealership has ever had to service and they clearly aren't comfortable with it.

The first time we took the car in they said "We can't find anything wrong. Doesn't seem like anything to worry about. Come back if it happens again." And they reset the light and sent us on our way. Well, the light came on again yesterday and we dropped off the car late this morning. This time they mentioned that "the code" had something to do with an "emissions leak" and informed us that this is the same code as last time. They simply reset the light again after several hours at the shop. We also informed them that we had a big road trip coming up in July so they rotated the tires, changed the oil. Again, they sent us on our way but have asked us to drop off the vehicle again next week so they can contact Chrysler to get instructions from them. They said they couldn't get that done today for whatever reason. , As we drove away, we discovered that during their time with the car today, they drove the minivan well over 15 miles to use up the battery range and then put several additional gas-consuming miles on the car and didn't inform us of this either. I think they don't know that they could have just hit the gas pedal to bring the engine on and its not necessary to completely deplete the battery range to get into hybrid mode...the irony is that the check engine light has come on on days that were all-electric use. (Most of our days with this car are all-electric).

When we got back to the house from the dealership today, we did our usual and plugged the car into our Level 2 charger in the garage. Several minutes later we heard a VERY loud (insanely loud) fan noise coming from the garage. The fan noise that we sometimes hear while charging was orders of magnitude louder than it's ever been. I disconnected the Level 2 (only 5 miles of charge had been delivered), opened and entered the driver's door and turned the car on but the fan noise continued. The coolant and battery temperatures both were 180. I turned the car off, stepped out closed the driver's door, and when I opened the driver's door again, the fan noise abruptly turned off. I plugged the Level 2 charger back in and the fan didn't come back on.

We have a multi-state road trip with our young kids coming up in a couple of months and we're getting nervous about taking this vehicle given how glitchy its systems seem and how clueless our local dealership service department is.

Other issues we've encountered with the car involve the UConnect system:
1. The black screen issue - the car worked but the interface didn't boot up and stayed dark and didn't respond to car being turned off and on, driver's door opening, rebooting efforts etc... Took the car for a drive anyway and while at a red light 10 minutes later, I plugged in my iPhone to the CarPlay USB port and the console booted up immediately and started working again. Could've been coincidence, I suppose but the timing with plugging in the iPhone really was instantaneous.

2. Complete disappearance of the camera system from UConnect - the morning of 4/19, we turned the car on for the first time that day and were pulling out of the garage in reverse as we normally do and we noticed the rear and 360 camera view did not automatically come on. we put the car in park and tried to activate the camera system through the UConnect interface but the camera button was completely gone! It was as if it didn't exist. We turned the car off, opened driver's side door, etc... but the problem persisted. Calls to Chrysler using the rearview mirror call button led to a very long troubleshooting session over the phone that did _not_ fix the problem. We were asked by the Chrysler rep to take the car to our nearest dealership to attempt a fix. We made an appointment for the next day and used the car as usual but the camera system never returned. When we turned the car on the next morning, the camera system was back and was working normally.

Could really use some guidance from Chrysler as I have little confidence in my dealership due to their lack of experience with this model and their questionable come-back-if-it-happens-again approach to dealing with problems.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I live in S TX and have a 2018 PacHy that I picked up in late NOV.

As to the fan noise: the ambient temperature the last few days has been as warm as it has been all year. If your coolant and battery temperatures were 180, the fan should have been running at full blast to try to cool them. Since the dealer used up all of your battery and you drove home on the ICE, the coolant was already warm and the immediate charge cycle just exacerbated that. Since most of your days are all electric, you just haven't had a chance to try to charge your car with a warm engine in higher ambient temperatures. Your experience in that instance seems 100% normal to me and is exactly what I would expect. Your PacHy was doing exactly what it was properly designed to do. No worry about that at all - in fact, you should be worried if it didn't do that.

As to the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp [Check Engine light]), there are emissions systems that do not depend on the ICE to run. If our Pacs were truly all-electric we wouldn't have to worry about these, but since you have an ICE, you also have gasoline in storage in your gas tank. It warms with temperature and creates pressurized vapors. Those should be captured by the evaporative emissions system. It is entirely possible that there is a small fault in that system. It is also possible that it is small enough that the typical gas Pac owner would never know because the ICE would run and consume those captured vapors quicker than they could build up to any substantial degree. Since you rarely run the ICE, and the ambient temperatures may have been higher lately, it may be that you have a very small fault and the "stress" of high temps and infrequent ICE use are highlighting the fault.

Your Uconnect issues are not unique. Don't get me wrong, they shouldn't be happening, but it does appear that there are some issues with the software that cause intermittent problems. No software is perfect, but the Uconnect software does seem a little less so than what we have become accustomed to in our everyday experience. Those problems are, however, at the end of the day, the same kind of problems that you are likely to find in any sufficiently complex piece of software, they just occur far more frequently than they should.

To sum it up, I would not be worried about your upcoming trip. While your Pac is not behaving exactly as it should, it doesn't seem to me like you have any serious issues, although you may have to endure some minor annoyances. Chalk it up to being an early adopter. All-in-all, Chrysler mostly got it right, but they still have some things that need sorting out. My ownership experience thus far, while not flawless, has been very good. Tomorrow I make a 300-mile one-way trip (600 miles in 2 days) and I'm looking forward to seeing how my PacHy performs. I have 1/2 a tank of gas that I put in it in early February that I need to burn off, so the trip is timely. I hope I'm not eating crow on Sunday, but I really don't think I will be. Go on your trip and enjoy it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts