2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to the site and didn't see this posted so I wondered if anyone has come across this issue. One of my key fobs had a low battery for several weeks, I finally replaced the battery and went out in the driveway to unlock the van and nothing happens. There is a red light on the key fob that blinks when I push the button but the van does not unlock, same when I tried the other key fob. Next I took out the actual key from the key fob to open the door, the key inserts and turns, but the door will not open. Same with the other physical key in the other fob. As of right now the van is in my driveway, I cannot open or unlock the driver door to even get in the vehicle. I've owned the vehicle for about a 18 months and never had any issue like this. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Shamy79

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
819 Posts
Have you tried both front doors with the physical key? If it turns, it should unlock the door. Not trying to be smart here, but did you try turning the key in both directions?

Did you purchase this vehicle new or used? It could be an issue with your vehicle's battery or batteries.

If you can place your vehicle information in your forum signature it can help us help you going forward. ie Year, gas/hybrid, trim level, options, build date.

Reactions: SciTchr

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for responding and don't worry about being smart, sometimes the dumbest suggestions end up working out the best. I did purchase the vehicle used, but that was over a year ago and have had no issues since I bought it. I tried turning the keys both ways, the key will turn but not unlock and I don't hear anything click to indicate unlocking. There is no key unlock on the passenger side, as far as I can tell, the only place to unlock using the key is the driver door. I only had to replace the battery in one key fob and it has a red light when I push the button so I believe the battery is in correctly, even so, the other key fob does the same thing (won't work).

Of course all of my vehicle info is locked in the car. I do know its a 2018 Gas Pacifica Touring L, leather, moonroof, 2 tvs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
555 Posts
Thank you both for responding and don't worry about being smart, sometimes the dumbest suggestions end up working out the best. I did purchase the vehicle used, but that was over a year ago and have had no issues since I bought it. I tried turning the keys both ways, the key will turn but not unlock and I don't hear anything click to indicate unlocking. There is no key unlock on the passenger side, as far as I can tell, the only place to unlock using the key is the driver door. I only had to replace the battery in one key fob and it has a red light when I push the button so I believe the battery is in correctly, even so, the other key fob does the same thing (won't work).

Of course all of my vehicle info is locked in the car. I do know its a 2018 Gas Pacifica Touring L, leather, moonroof, 2 tvs.

Thanks.
Do any of the other functions (remote start, power liftgate, power sliding doors, panic) work when pressing buttons on the fob? When was the last time you drove the van? Is it possible the batteries are dead? You should still be able to manually unlock the driver's door with the physical key even if the battery is completely dead unless the linkage somehow became disconnected inside the door.

You need to turn the key clockwise to about the 2 O'clock position to unlock the driver's door. Turning the key counter-clockwise to between the 9 & 10 O'clock position will lock the door. The key should automatically return to the 12 O'clock position after performing either action because the lock cylinder is spring-loaded. Make sure you aren't turning the key both ways. You'll be reversing the intended action if you do.

Lastly, you most likely have a Touring L Plus. The Uconnect Theater (dual rear screens) option wasn't available for Touring L trim.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do any of the other functions (remote start, power liftgate, power sliding doors, panic) work when pressing buttons on the fob? When was the last time you drove the van? Is it possible the batteries are dead? You should still be able to manually unlock the driver's door with the physical key even if the battery is completely dead unless the linkage somehow became disconnected inside the door.

You need to turn the key clockwise to about the 2 O'clock position to unlock the driver's door. Turning the key counter-clockwise to between the 9 & 10 O'clock position will lock the door. The key should automatically return to the 12 O'clock position after performing either action because the lock cylinder is spring-loaded. Make sure you aren't turning the key both ways. You'll be reversing the intended action if you do.

Lastly, you most likely have a Touring L Plus. The Uconnect Theater (dual rear screens) option wasn't available for Touring L trim.
Thank you very much! I think I figured it out. I was turning the key both ways, however, I think when I turned it clockwise I was stopping before it unlocked because I felt resistance (perhaps cold whether or the fact that its a little weird to hold because its not a real key). I turned it further clockwise and it did unlock. When I got in the van the battery was dead. I'll charge it tomorrow, but at least I can get in the van now.

Appreciate all the help on this!

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,235 Posts
...Of course all of my vehicle info is locked in the car. I do know its a 2018 Gas Pacifica Touring L, leather, moonroof, 2 tvs.
Thanks.
Welcome to the forum.

Glad you were able to figure out how to use the metal key to unlock the van with help from the forum.

You can download more extensive owner's manuals from the Mopar website if desired.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
555 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Glad you were able to figure out how to use the metal key to unlock the van with help from the forum.

You can download more extensive owner's manuals from the Mopar website if desired.
Do you want to hear something odd? The owners manual barely mentions the physical key. It tells you it's in the fob and how to remove it, but I couldn't find any text or pictures that described using it to unlock the driver's door at all.

A friend of ours recently purchased a 2015 Ford Escape. I've never owned a Ford, but I was amazed at how informative their owners manual is. It provided serpentine belt diagrams for all three available engines. It describes exactly how to adjust the horizontal and vertical alignment of the headlamps and provides pictures pointing out exactly where the adjustment screws are.

In contrast, Chrysler's SERVICE manual doesn't even point out where the adjustment screws are on the Pacifica or what they do. There are two headlamp adjustment screws on each side of the Pacifica. The inner two adjustment screws are easily visible/accessible. The outer two screws are somewhat hidden and have little brackets that purposefully cover them up to deter people from adjusting them. I suspect the inner two screws allow vertical adjustment of the entire headlamp assembly and the outer two screws allow vertical adjustment for the projector low beam alone. I could be wrong, but I haven't messed with it yet to see if I'm correct.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thank you very much! I think I figured it out. I was turning the key both ways, however, I think when I turned it clockwise I was stopping before it unlocked because I felt resistance (perhaps cold whether or the fact that its a little weird to hold because its not a real key). I turned it further clockwise and it did unlock. When I got in the van the battery was dead. I'll charge it tomorrow, but at least I can get in the van now.

Appreciate all the help on this!
You may get away with charging the battery(s) to start your van but I would seriously consider replacing BOTH batteries. If one is bad it has most likely degraded the life of the other. If you only replace one, chances are in the near future the one you did not replace will fail and also degrade the life of your newer battery. It is a vicus cycle and very poor design on the Pacifica's ESS system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts