2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
What ia a PIM? Good luck with yours! The FCA staff wanted the dealer to just return the car to as is, i.e. totally undependable.

·
Registered
484 Posts
What ia a PIM? Good luck with yours! The FCA staff wanted the dealer to just return the car to as is, i.e. totally undependable.
Power Inverter Module. There was a recall on some of them for the software bug that would cause a diode to burn up. This was addressed with a software upgrade.

·
Registered
112 Posts
An integrated Power Inverter Module (PIM) mounted to the transmission case converts energy from the high voltage DC battery to AC to drive the electric motors, and also converts the AC power back to DC to charge the battery, when the motors are used as generators (“regenerative braking,” though the motors also generate some electricity while coasting). The PIM can be serviced separately if needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our '18 PacHy was purchased new in Nov '19, had about 15k mi as of Friday. Driving from Phoenix to Palm Springs on Friday afternoon, and it randomly lost power cruising at 70 mph. Heard a ding on the dash, both the Power and Gas gauge needles swept down, MIL light on, a message on the dash to place the vehicle in P to start the car, no acceleration (no engine). Still had steering, so able to make it to the shoulder.

Being stranded on the side of I-10 in the Phoenix metro area during rush hour when its 117* outside sucks, for sure.

Once pulled over, pushing the Start/Stop button while in Park would only turn off the radio console, dash remain lit. Never restarted (which means no A/C). Accessories worked.

Ended up dying right across the interstate from a Chrysler dealership about an hour before they closed, one of the service writers came to pick up the wife and kids so they can get safe/comfortable, very appreciative to him for that because we were stuck in a bad place (between two on-ramps - no where to walk off the Interstate) - AAA took about 90 minutes to arrive 🙁

Towed to the dealership, dash still light up like Christmas tree and the PacHy still 'on' because we couldn't get it to turn off. 12v battery finally died about the time we found a ride back home to grab my truck.

No word yet from the dealership - found a couple other threads about random deaths/restarting - the service writer says he never heard of one giving up the ghost while driving. Thoughts? Will keep folks updated as the info becomes available.
Dealership continues to tease through the issues - really appreciate their diligence in rooting through the problem rather than dismissing the issue as a low battery charge.

Sounds like they had some challenges getting power to the 16kw battery,recommending at a minimum a replacement 12v battery and OBCM for starters. Will continue to update.
Did you have the problem with the car dying after the recall repair or before (recall W46)? Could it have been a problem with their repair of the recall?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Did you have the problem with the car dying after the recall repair or before (recall W46)? Could it have been a problem with their repair of the recall?
No - because dealership 1 did the recall repair at the same time as they were attempting to fix the sudden death issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Update: dealership 2 has a new 16kw battery on the way in addition to the computer and 12v battery. Was able to provider a loaner for my wife, told to hang tight for a couple days while they work through more issues.

·
Registered
484 Posts
You will be fixed up and good to go when the replacement parts are complete.

Reactions: azdrugdoc

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well, interesting end to the saga. Ended up only replacing the MSD wiring (?), no other items replaced or repaired.

Ah well, it's home, and it charges and drives. - that's all we need it to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This happened to my 2020 Pacifica Hybrid twice. Service determined the electronic power booster needs to be replaced. Have them look into it.

Well, interesting end to the saga. Ended up only replacing the MSD wiring (?), no other items replaced or repaired.

Ah well, it's home, and it charges and drives. - that's all we need it to do.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts