2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Limited
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Las year we had problems with the ESS light and system not working. After doing the research ended up replaced both main and aux battery in June with Super Start Platinum from O'Reilly. 3 year warranty. Everything seems to be working fine for a year or so. Mainly drove with the ESS off because my wife doesn't like it.

About a couple of months ago, we got the "Stop/Start Unavailable Service Stop/Start System" message. No big deal. So we kept driving. A couple of weeks ago I decide to disconnect both batteries for a bit and see if it goes away. It does...for a couple of days. Then my wife says the car is acting funny and it died one day and it seems like it doesn't want to start sometimes.

I'm thinking ok, lets just disconnect the AUX battery and deal with the lights. I read the post about disconnecting the negative from the AUX and unplug the PCR. Last night I tried and there is no power with the AUX negative disconnected. Everything is black. I reconnect everything and it works fine.

This morning i drove it to work. Just for testing I turned ON the ESS. and the next stop sign. It shut off and died. There was power as all the accessories worked but it would turn over. Ended up jumping it. AT the end of the day it started right up as normal.

Got home and disconnected the AUX again and no power at all with just the main battery connected.
AUX voltage is 12.54v and Main is 12.61v

Going to do a load test in the morning, hopefully if one of them is bad I can get a warranty replacement.

Any ideas why I have no power with the AUX disconnected? Ultimately i would like to disconncct the AUX and PCR and us the AutoStop Eliminator to eliminate all this nonses and hopefully keep a battery for more than a year or two.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
1,247 Posts
Las year we had problems with the ESS light and system not working. After doing the research ended up replaced both main and aux battery in June with Super Start Platinum from O'Reilly. 3 year warranty. Everything seems to be working fine for a year or so. Mainly drove with the ESS off because my wife doesn't like it.

About a couple of months ago, we got the "Stop/Start Unavailable Service Stop/Start System" message. No big deal. So we kept driving. A couple of weeks ago I decide to disconnect both batteries for a bit and see if it goes away. It does...for a couple of days. Then my wife says the car is acting funny and it died one day and it seems like it doesn't want to start sometimes.

I'm thinking ok, lets just disconnect the AUX battery and deal with the lights. I read the post about disconnecting the negative from the AUX and unplug the PCR. Last night I tried and there is no power with the AUX negative disconnected. Everything is black. I reconnect everything and it works fine.

This morning i drove it to work. Just for testing I turned ON the ESS. and the next stop sign. It shut off and died. There was power as all the accessories worked but it would turn over. Ended up jumping it. AT the end of the day it started right up as normal.

Got home and disconnected the AUX again and no power at all with just the main battery connected.
AUX voltage is 12.54v and Main is 12.61v

Going to do a load test in the morning, hopefully if one of them is bad I can get a warranty replacement.

Any ideas why I have no power with the AUX disconnected? Ultimately i would like to disconncct the AUX and PCR and us the AutoStop Eliminator to eliminate all this nonses and hopefully keep a battery for more than a year or two.
You will need to do more troubleshooting, but it appears that a ground is not connected to the main battery. I would measure the resistance across the intelligent battery sensor. Place one probe on the negative terminal end and the other probe on the stud where the cable connects to the other side. If you see anything but near zero resistance, the intelligent battery sensor probably needs to be replaced. Of course, make sure the connection at the main battery is tight and clean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was tired of the start stop garbage that never worked properly or shut down at the most inconvenient times, so after the battery failed for the 4th time, I said screw it, and I removed the SS battery and wrapped the cable ends. Best thing I ever did, no more retarded start stop garbage and we can trust out van again. Only downside is the message after starting and a malfunction light. I really don't care about that, and the light is ready to ignore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts