2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited - Service Charging System

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  ChryslerCares 
#1 ·
Hello everyone - we added a 2018 Pacifica Hybrid as our 3rd plug-in vehicle about 6 months back. The other two are: 2015 BMW i3 Rex; and 2016 Chevrolet Volt.

Yesterday, I was charging at a chargepoint station at work (L2). I have used that very same station many times before. After about 49 minutes, I got a notification on my chargepoint app that the charging was complete because the vehicle was drawing very little power. I was surprised because the battery was at 1% when I had plugged in. I walked over to the garage, and noticed that the two extreme lights were blinking. I unlocked the car and saw an error message: Service Charging System. I have included the charging graph from the Chargepoint app....

I unplugged the vehicle and attempted to restart the charge -- but the moment I plugged in, the very same thing happened.

The first time it happened, the dealer was unable to replicate. So, this time I stopped trying to charge again and took it to the dealer today morning. They are still diagnosing the problem.

I have never had such an issue at any charger with either the Volt or the i3. So, I am a little bit concerned to see many have reported similar issue. Should I be concerned about the reliability of the minivan and its charging system? Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
Should I be concerned about the reliability of the minivan and its charging system? Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
No, you shouldn't. What would that concern buy you? There's nothing you can do about it either way.

It seems this is a fairly frequent issue if you read through the threads, though.

Reactions: EV-Van-2019
#3 ·
The dealer response came in... We cannot replicate the error and there must be something wrong with the charger. A charger that is used day in day out by multiple cars and there has never been an issue. The charging graph also shows no issues.

This just seems to dismissive and condescending attitude that goes... "customer is wrong". It is extremely aggravating. When I mentioned that this seems to be a frequently retorted issue online... "we have never seen it, so a couple of people saying it doesn't mean they don't have bad chargers as well". *sigh *

#10 ·
The dealer response came in... We cannot replicate the error and there must be something wrong with the charger.
This just seems to dismissive and condescending attitude that goes... "customer is wrong". It is extremely aggravating.
Yeah, it's frustrating, but if they can't replicate the error, what can they do? They're not psychics.

My guess would be that there is something about how the Pacifica interacts with the EVSEs that is different. Maybe the EVSE is slightly out of spec in some way, but most vehicles have wide enough tolerances to not care. Or maybe the vehicle is slightly out of spec but most EVSEs don't care. Like, if two people are trying to communicate but can't understand each other, whose fault is it? Each of them might be able to understand other people just fine.

#5 ·
Do you use any other L2 chargers? At home, or any other location. It is possible that there is a fault with the charger you were using. Just because it worked yesterday, does not mean it is OK today. Especially as you say it is well used.

And Welcome to the forums.

#11 ·
Hi EV-Van-2019, I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble resolving this concern. If you do choose to return your vehicle to your dealer for diagnosis again, please feel free to reach out to us here via a private message. We are happy to help with that process.
Rob
Chrysler Cares

#9 ·
I do not have a hybrid, so probably best to wait for those owners to chime in here.

Only other thing I can add is to check that charger again next time you get the opportunity. As with all electronics, you can have some glitch that will only happen the one time. Whether it was the charger or the vehicle may never be known.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.