2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I recently purchased a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring vehicle. When you turn off the engine there is a consistent interior clicking noise which sounds like a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle (for those who are old enough to remember that! :)). It is consistent and constant. It only goes away when you put the vehicle into accessory mode or start the van; although it does appear to stop after 5 minutes or so.

Any thoughts on what this might be? There are no trouble codes, no errors produced and only happens when the vehicle is off.

Anyone know what the van procedures the van follows when shutting down the vehicle?

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello.

I recently purchased a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring vehicle. When you turn off the engine there is a consistent interior clicking noise which sounds like a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle (for those who are old enough to remember that! :)). It is consistent and constant. It only goes away when you put the vehicle into accessory mode or start the van; although it does appear to stop after 5 minutes or so.

Any thoughts on what this might be? There are no trouble codes, no errors produced and only happens when the vehicle is off.

Anyone know what the van procedures the van follows when shutting down the vehicle?

Thanks. :)
I don't have the answer but have been searching. Mine does the same thing. After sitting for a few days without driving, the battery is completely dead. Replaced both the batteries and they still die.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have heard the same "ratcheting" noise and believe it to be one or more HVAC door actuators/solenoids, which are probably "parking" the doors in a default position (open / closed or mid-point - I don't know since the service manuals for my 2020 are still not available for purchase).. The noise is not loud, as when an actuator/solenoid goes bad, but of much lower amplitude, probably typical of their normal operation (to be determined in time).

As regards your dead battery, that is probably unrelated to the HVAC doors (emphasis on "probably", or perhaps "possibly" might be most accurate)... Even with the apparent high parasitic drain that I believe (anecdotally) is an unfortunate characteristic of the Pacifica, a battery in good condition should still be capable of cranking the engine after more than a few days of being parked. I would suspect that there is an abnormally high electrical drain in your vehicle... and parasitic drain is generally a real challenge to diagnose and trace to a root cause. However, a starting point is to ensure that your batteries are both fully charged and tested for capacity, and that the charging system is tested to ensure that it is performing normally. Even brand new batteries may be defective or undercharged. Note that when the engine is off, the main and aux batteries remain connected in parallel, and a defective battery can drain the other (they are not isolated from each other as in GM auto stop/start systems).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts