2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago one of the 3 fobs stopped working. We changed the battery, but it still wouldn't work. I mentioned it to the dealer and I was told all of the key fobs would need to be reprogrammed. Has anyone else encountered this? We have to make an appointment to have it done, but life got in the way and now we have 2 fobs that don't work. Does anyone know how to reprogram them without having to go to the dealer?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
A few months ago one of the 3 fobs stopped working. We changed the battery, but it still wouldn't work. I mentioned it to the dealer and I was told all of the key fobs would need to be reprogrammed. Has anyone else encountered this? We have to make an appointment to have it done, but life got in the way and now we have 2 fobs that don't work. Does anyone know how to reprogram them without having to go to the dealer?
Someone on the forum mentioned that some hardware stores are able to program fobs. Might not hurt to check, it is probably cheaper if available.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Joanna, we had an identical issue with our 2019 after owning it for about 4 months. All 3 fobs stopped working at one time. We tried replacing the batteries(although it was unlikely that they would all fail at the same time). We discovered that we could get the fobs to work if we held them over the windshield near the center of the dash. We scheduled an appointment with our dealer, but typical of Chrysler it was two weeks out. We continued using this method an after about a week they again began functioning normally...and the problem has not returned in over one year. My suspicion is that it is a problem with their internal
antenna system to receive the fob’s signal. I had a similar issue when we first purchased our Pacifica when up at Mt Wilson observatory. Mt Wilson is the site of multiple cell and radio towers and the EMF interference makes radio, cell phones, etc almost useless there. Check to see if your non working fobs work either inside or outside your Pacifica if they are over the dash center. If so you can point your dealer to a route to correct the issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ran into the problem of replacing one fob required the reprogramming of all fobs with my VW. The service writer said it was more of a CYA measure for them because it ensured that only the fobs in possession of the current owner could open and start the vehicle. I bought the VW new from them so there was no other owner and he knew that but their policy was the same no matter what the situation. Then he told me an interesting story from the days when they would reprogram your fob without the vehicle being there.

At a dealership a lady came in with her fob and said it quit working with her car. She was a long time customer and the service writer knew her so he reprogrammed the fob and she went on her merry way. A week later, that lady's irate husband showed up at the dealership. It turns out they were in the middle of a rancorous divorce and possession of that car was a hotly contested point in that divorce. With the reprogrammed fob she took the car from his place of employment and had it hidden. The police wouldn't take a stolen vehicle report because they were co-owners of the car.
Fact or fiction? I can't say but it does sound plausible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts