2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BLUF: (Bottom line upfront) Should I purchase a new Chrysler 3.6L Pentastar engine part# 68237714AD (Made in Mexico) OR should I purchase a Chrysler remanufactured engine from AER, remanufactured in Texas, I believe. The local Chrysler dealership has quoted me $9,800 to purchase the new engine, take the old engine out, put the new engine in and make it good to go again.

Van Background: 2018 Pacifica Limited, 65,500 miles (5,500 miles past warranty). 2 weeks ago, engine started rough and engine light turned. 2 days later, the engine light started flashing. After a google search, found out it was a miss in section 5. The day after that, coolant smell in the vents and white/grey vapors coming from the tailpipe. Opened the hood saw there was no coolant in the reservoir. Had it towed to the local dealership and they first thought it was just a blown head gasket, but upon further inspection using a scope, they discovered the block was cracked.

I researched many remanufactured engines online and what I thought were great deals ended up being the companies are probably scam companies based on company reviews and BBB reviews. Junkyards are a crapshoot on what you're getting as far as quality and most that I have found are high miles.

So I called the Dealership parts department and listed is what I found out.

OPTION 1: I Called the Chrysler dealership and talked to the parts department. They can order a new (remanufactured) engine from AER out of Texas, which I guess is contracted with Chrysler and a bunch of other car manufactures to produce their remanufactured engines. The engine is $5,200 but when I return the core, the price ends up being $4,850, plus tax for a grand total of $5,125 for the engine. The engine is on backorder with 109 engines already on backorder and no way to tell when the engine will show up.

OPTION 2: The dealership (Service department and parts department on a teleconference with me) called me yesterday and they said they have a brand new (not remanufactured) 3.6L PentaStar engine, part# 68237714AD tucked away in the corner of their parts warehouse. They had ordered it for a different customer about 8 months ago, but the customer backed out of purchasing the engine and decided to just purchase a new vehicle instead. The dealership, according to them, has been fighting with Chrysler Corporation for the past 8 month to return the engine and so far, Chrysler refuses to accept the return and give the money back. Not entirely sure if I believe that story....that they just happen to have brand new engine that I need, when both a new engine from Chrysler or a remanufactured engine from AER are both on backorder.

Bought the van used in late January 2020 for $28,500 with 34,700 miles. Paid it completely off in September 2021. Added new Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires in fall 2021 and with $4,000 worth of interest on the loan (Yes we had a very high APR), we are into the vehicle total about $33,500

Not very interested in paying the very high prices for vans now adays and not very interested in having another $400-600 van monthly payment, especially with the feds raising interest rates.

Any thoughts, opinions and or advice on the differences between the 2 engines and if I should invest $10,000 into the van or if I should just buy a new or used van?

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
971 Posts
I heard a rumor that Youtuber Tavarish is going to put the Hellcat in a Pacifica. But, I have not seen anything from him personally to confirm this.
I personally do not think it will fit, but IDK.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Although a long shot I would first try to have a new engine goodwilled by Chrysler, in whole or in part. A cracked block at 65K is nuts.

Reactions: freddief73

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Are you going to keep it , and is so, for how long do you plan on keeping it for ? . That question alone will dictate your purchase a remanufactured block or a new one . Take the cost into consideration for future down the road problems , if I was going short term I’d dump less money into it and long term do the most costly way . Good luck either way and hope it all works out for you .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Although a long shot I would first try to have a new engine goodwilled by Chrysler, in whole or in part. A cracked block at 65K is nuts.
The dealership contacted Chrysler last week and Chrysler denied a Goodwill repair based on 2 factors; I am not the original owner of the vehicle and the vehicle is past the 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty. And of course, the dealership wont due a goodwill repair either.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
The dealership contacted Chrysler last week and Chrysler denied a Goodwill repair based on 2 factors; I am not the original owner of the vehicle and the vehicle is past the 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty. And of course, the dealership wont due a goodwill repair either.
Please report your failure to the NHTSA.

This is an old gremlin of 2011-2013 Pentastars returning.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
1,247 Posts
Cost, and cost alone should be the only determining factor here. Any difference in quality between an OEM remanufactured engine and a brand new engine is negligible. If a dealership has been sitting on a new engine for a while, this works out to your advantage. That part number only fits a 2018 Pacifica - no other year or model. They will likely be eager to sell it for whatever they can to avoid incurring a loss at this point. They probably can return the engine to Chrysler, but will incur a substantial loss if they do. As someone who works in a parts department at a dealership, I can tell you this is a very realistic scenario.

Dealerships buy parts from the OEM. Any unsold special order parts that can be returned to the OEM are almost always sold back to the OEM for a much lower price than the dealership initially paid for it so the dealership takes a hefty loss. Most dealerships require payment up front and have strict return policies for special order parts to ensure that they incur as little loss as possible.

Please report your failure to the NHTSA.

This is an old gremlin of 2011-2013 Pentastars returning.
I don't think so. Those early 3.6L engines had defective bank 2 cylinder heads (see links below). Bank 2 is the left bank on RWD models or the front bank on FWD models (cylinders 2, 4, 6). Every failure I've read about in a Pacifica has been on the bank 1 side (right/rear bank - cylinders 1, 3, 5) which is the opposite side of the engine.

Reactions: Tri-C

·
Registered
3 Posts
wow can’t believe I’m reading this just last week this exact same thing has happened to me, 2017 Chrysler Pacifica 65,800 miles, check engine light came on idling kind of rough shot down to AutoZone to get a free print out which read, Three possibilities coil, spark plug, intake gasket, decided to take it to a local dealership at drop off he tells me number five cylinder misfire A few days later The service writer tells me, The problem is not electrical we need to takeoff the Plenum/intake and go deeper to do a compression check, I approved five days later he calls back and says I have rodents in my garage they had exposed wires on the coil number five cylinder, also fuel injector number five not functioning properly, doesn’t sound right to me I pick up the vehicle starts to drive home the next day check engine light comes back on vehicle running the same way, go back to the service department and ask for the service manager he convinces me to leave the vehicle with him that he would have his head guy take a look at it now today they’re telling me complete engine block failure head failure due to overheating, but I never saw any white smoke come out of the tailpipe nor did the car ever lose power …I also just put four new Michelin tires on….Right at the moment I’m ready to run through a **** wall…

·
Registered
14 Posts
wow can’t believe I’m reading this just last week this exact same thing has happened to me, 2017 Chrysler Pacifica 65,800 miles, check engine light came on idling kind of rough shot down to AutoZone to get a free print out which read, Three possibilities coil, spark plug, intake gasket, decided to take it to a local dealership at drop off he tells me number five cylinder misfire A few days later The service writer tells me, The problem is not electrical we need to takeoff the Plenum/intake and go deeper to do a compression check, I approved five days later he calls back and says I have rodents in my garage they had exposed wires on the coil number five cylinder, also fuel injector number five not functioning properly, doesn’t sound right to me I pick up the vehicle starts to drive home the next day check engine light comes back on vehicle running the same way, go back to the service department and ask for the service manager he convinces me to leave the vehicle with him that he would have his head guy take a look at it now today they’re telling me complete engine block failure head failure due to overheating, but I never saw any white smoke come out of the tailpipe nor did the car ever lose power …I also just put four new Michelin tires on….Right at the moment I’m ready to run through a **** wall…
Our 2018 with 75,000 miles had rough idle, check engine light. Took it in (on May 12 of this year) and coolant was inside the cylinders. The Chrysler inspector authorized new engine, under our extended warranty, but still no ETA on the engine or when repairs will be complete. Dealership can't even get an answer from Chrysler. We never saw any smoke or had any overheating issues either. And we had just put new tires on too, and paid expensive California registration on a vehicle I haven't been able to drive in almost 3 months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our 2018 with 75,000 miles had rough idle, check engine light. Took it in (on May 12 of this year) and coolant was inside the cylinders. The Chrysler inspector authorized new engine, under our extended warranty, but still no ETA on the engine or when repairs will be complete. Dealership can't even get an answer from Chrysler. We never saw any smoke or had any overheating issues either. And we had just put new tires on too, and paid expensive California registration on a vehicle I haven't been able to drive in almost 3 months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good for you truly I mean that, at 55,000 miles and not a hiccup I did not think it was necessary, My father has always warned me about Chrysler dodge products guess I should have a listened, I have a large family and I am well respected, I will be sure No one from my family (for generations) Will not buy a Dodge Chrysler product ever again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good for you truly I mean that, at 55,000 miles and not a hiccup I did not think it was necessary, My father has always warned me about Chrysler dodge products guess I should have a listened, I have a large family and I am well respected, I will be sure No one from my family (for generations) Will not buy a Dodge Chrysler product ever again.
This was our first time ever buying an extended warranty, and we will for sure be doing so in the future!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts