2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my wife a loaded 2018 Pacifica in December 2017. At 45k, the engine car started stalling intermittently and/or sputtering at low speeds. The car would jerk while switching gears. We initially took it to a dealer in Leesburg, which said nothing was wrong. The issue continued so we decided to take it to a dealer in Winchester, VA. They immediately recognized an issue and began diagnosing. They replaced the cam phasers, which did nothing, then checked the transmission and discovered metal shards and burnt trans fluid. After replacing the trans, the issue still continued. They’ve replaced the throttle body, sensors, oil control valve, cam shaft, reset/replaced TCM, and looked into the oil and fuel pumps(left out a bunch of other items.) None of this fixed the issue. They finally found an issue with with the lifters and rocker arms on the cylinder head, which they’re working on now. Supposedly, several of them were bad and this is a known manufacturers defect. The car has been in the shop for close to three months. Has anyone else gone through this, and is there anything that Chrysler did for you on their end?
Been loyal to their brand forever since my grandfather retired from there. This experience left me with a bad feeling about the brand and I’ll probably never buy another FCA product.
Side note, the dealer in Winchester has been fantastic; however, FCA does seem to have their s.. together.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Couple questions , what’s the manufacture date of the vehicle and what’s date of the service date . We know about mileage I’m just curious of time frames .

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Did you finally get this fixed? I am not aware of any known defects with the lifters and rocker arms, and it is not a common problem reported on this forum. With all those problems and efforts to fix them, are you pursuing a lemon law remedy?

Reactions: freddief73

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
1,040 Posts
I bought my wife a loaded 2018 Pacifica in December 2017. At 45k, the engine car started stalling intermittently and/or sputtering at low speeds. The car would jerk while switching gears. We initially took it to a dealer in Leesburg, which said nothing was wrong. The issue continued so we decided to take it to a dealer in Winchester, VA. They immediately recognized an issue and began diagnosing. They replaced the cam phasers, which did nothing, then checked the transmission and discovered metal shards and burnt trans fluid. After replacing the trans, the issue still continued. They’ve replaced the throttle body, sensors, oil control valve, cam shaft, reset/replaced TCM, and looked into the oil and fuel pumps(left out a bunch of other items.) None of this fixed the issue. They finally found an issue with with the lifters and rocker arms on the cylinder head, which they’re working on now. Supposedly, several of them were bad and this is a known manufacturers defect. The car has been in the shop for close to three months. Has anyone else gone through this, and is there anything that Chrysler did for you on their end?
Been loyal to their brand forever since my grandfather retired from there. This experience left me with a bad feeling about the brand and I’ll probably never buy another FCA product.
Side note, the dealer in Winchester has been fantastic; however, FCA does seem to have their s.. together.
I'm sorry you're having these issues. I'm sure it's very frustrating. I wonder exactly what happened in the engine and transmission that caused the failures. The transmission has had some troubles, but most have been ironed out with software updates.

The older gen 1 & gen 2 Pentastar 3.6L engines have well-documented valvetrain issues, but not latest gen 3 engine that the Pacifica has. The only valvetrain parts that are the same between the current and older designs are the valve springs and seats. All the other parts have been redesigned to address the issues the older engines had. There's a Mopar service tech on YouTube who claims he has yet to take the valve covers off a gen 3 engine for repair. That's pretty impressive considering the gen 3 engine has been in use for over five years.

Reactions: GregMej

·
Registered
2020 Gas Granite AWD Launch Edition
188 Posts
Wow, what a crappy thing that "virginia" has been going through... very sorry to hear this :(

This crazy and sad post could be under the "Horrible Chrysler Dealers" thread.

I sure hope this problem is finally getting resolved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you finally get this fixed? I am not aware of any known defects with the lifters and rocker arms, and it is not a common problem reported on this forum. With all those problems and efforts to fix them, are you pursuing a lemon law remedy?
The vehicle is still in the shop as of me writing this so I don't have access to the manufacturing date (Might have been October 2017). We dropped the car off at Dulles on 14 October and in Winchester roughly two weeks later.
The dealership was waiting on a head gasket and updates from Chrysler to see if the dealership could look into another cylinder to see if other issues existed (secondhand from my wife). They have the gasket now and Chrylser denied their request to look into anything else so hopefully they'll have the engine back together early this week. I get that there's issues with every car, but at 45k, there shouldn't be a transmission failure and engine issues. My wife drives like an 80 year old.

When talking to customer care, they basically said they couldn't do anything until the dealership stated that the issue couldn't be fixed. I'm going to talk to them this week about having my powertrain warranty extended and compensation. I considered going the arbitration route, but I doubt FCA would do a buy-back, since the car is only under the powertrain warranty now. My parents, brothers, and I currently own 8 FCA vehicles and have owned at least a dozen more over the years. Employee Pricing made it worth it, but as of this year, I don't have access to that program anymore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rocker arms and lifter were replaced roughly two weeks ago, and the mechanic took the car home overnight to test drive from his house in the AM. We got a call that the work didn’t fix the issue; however, the van started throwing a fuel pump-related code. The dealer replaced the fuel pump, and took the van out for a drive. We then received and update stating that our van cut off and was sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow back to the dealer. The tech updated us later to inform us that the newly installed fuel pump was bad, which caused the gas gauge to show the wrong amount of gas. Turns out that the tech ran the car out of gas even though the gauge was showing that their was fuel in the tank. The dealer replaced the fuel pump for a second time, and although the initial issues are mostly gone, he feels that they’re not fully resolved.
we received another update today that they believe the issues are gone but are keeping the van for a few more days to do periodic test drives.
Assuming the issue is fixed, anyone have any idea how this will affect true resale value?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Assuming the issue is fixed, anyone have any idea how this will affect true resale value?
If it's fixed, it shouldn't have any effect on the resale value.

Reactions: GregMej

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, after six months, the car was returned. They replaced so many things that I lost count. The last thing they replaced was the wiring harness. After two weeks of driving, the fold down seat in the back stopped working. A day or two later, the car jerked and rev’d up to 2k when backing into the driveway. Yesterday, same thing happened, but the car cut off this time. Cars back at the dealership now. I’m sure they won’t be able to duplicate the issue and will return it in a day or two. If work is needed, I may just tell them to hold off and call a lawyer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow, what a nightmarish experience. No one should go through that much pain.
You said you bought the van used. I know you said it had 45K when the issues started but you didn’t say what the mileage was when you bought it. Assuming you did not buy the van from a family member or a friend, unfortunately nobody knows how the van was treated by the first owner, which could have contributed to its’ present condition. While Chrysler has responsibility to fix the van while under warranty, not sure they have only other obligation, including buying it back, etc... especially from the second owner. I do agree that they can extend courtesy, but that would be their call.

One thing you should check is to see if the van was previously lemon lawed. If it was and you purchased it from a dealer that did not tell you about this, that’s a big no-no and you can go after the for that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2018 Pacifica is currently at the dealer for repair. My check engine light was on and they initially diagnosed it with a bad plug and coil. All was well for about a week or so when again, the check engine light came on with an additional alert that the start/stop function needed to be serviced. Today, the dealership said they diagnosed the problem with a warn lifter and just went ahead and replaced all of them. I’m skeptical that this will fix the issue as I believe they are just guessing and replacing things. Thankfully this repair fell under power train so additional costs there. My husband and I are pretty sure we’re going to get rid of this van but I am worried this will impact our trade in value.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
There was another forum member that said this couldn't happen on these newer Pentastar engines. :rolleyes:

If you get it fixed properly, it will NOT impact your trade value.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts