2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure whether to laugh, cry, or be embarrassed by this post. As most of you know, I gave back my 2017 Pacifica because of issues with the car- I used the FL lemon law. I decided to purchase a 2018 because I loved the car and really thought those were isolated incidents. I took the car on a 1000 mile trip last week. I brought the car in for an inspection just to make sure everything was okay before my trip.
I hit about 10 hours into the trip and the traction light came on with the error "service electronic stability control" and then another light came on, the A with the circle and the exclamation point at the end, and the error message "Stop/Start Unavailable. Service Stop/Start System."
I called chrysler cares using the assist button, after being on the phone with someone for about an hour I got disconnected. They never called me back and I kind of lost my patience.
I was able to connect with the rep at FCA that helped me with my 2017 and she arranged for me to drop the car off at a dealership where I am now. However, this is a very small town and they don't even sell the Pacifica at this dealership. I am hoping they can still fix the car but who knows.
My bigger concern is what do those errors mean and why is this happening again?!?!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wow, that is unfortunate. First, don't panic!

Ok, here is what the systems do. Traction control prevents you from spinning the tires if you try to accelerate too hard in wet, snowy, or slippery conditions. Stability control helps keep the car on your intended path if you make a very fast turn, or do something that would throw the car off balance, such as apply the brakes very hard while also turning very hard. Both of these are good to have advanced safety systems, but the car can be driven without them. Until recently they did not even exist.

Guessing here, but probable the traction control/stability control error is caused because the cars computer has detected a fault with one of the several sensors that feeds input to these systems. They will be disabled until the sensor is replaced.

The A with an arrow is the engine stop/start system that shuts off the Engine when you stop at a traffic light. It is disabled when any other error is present, so almost certainly it is a knock on effect from the original problem. Really not an issue.

I would see what the dealer has to say after reading the computer fault codes. My personal inclination would be to drive the car home even if the faults cannot be fixed immediately. It will drive and run just fine, albeit without the very rarely used traction and stability systems operating. Just drive like your precious kids are in the car and all will be fine.

Good luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I have a few weeks until I am going home so I will let the car stay at the dealership for now. They said they will call someone from one of the big towns an hour away and see if they can help. If not, I will probably have to drive the car home to my dealership and take care of it there. So frustrating and my kids and husband are saying...told you so!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealership called and said it is a vacuum tube that needs to be replaced. Anyone know what that is and if that matches the error messages?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Wow! You have had a run of bad luck. Rest assured, most of us here have experienced no problems with our Pacificas.

If I were in your place, I'd call your contact at Chrysler and find out if replacing a vacuum line makes sense. I certainly wouldn't trust a dealer that doesn't sell Pacificas to get that right (particularly one that called it a "vacuum tube"; the last time I replaced a vacuum tube in anything it was to fix the vertical hold on a 1961 Zenith television!).

Seriously, if you don't feel 100% comfortable with what you're being told, take Shadow5501's advice and drive it home. Get it back soon so you can drive it around locally until you're satisfied that everything else works. One caveat: a broken vacuum line can cause other problems, as engine vacuum is used for several unrelated functions.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks- I actually emailed the service manager at my home dealership to see what he thought. I will put a call into him tomorrow and ask him to call this dealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
Did you ever get a fix for the stability control and start stop light? We just bought a 2018 limited with the exact issues. They said it’s a vacuum pump. It’s on order. However they had a page and a half of codes to go through. The start stop light just came back on after 3 miles of driving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am not sure whether to laugh, cry, or be embarrassed by this post. As most of you know, I gave back my 2017 Pacifica because of issues with the car- I used the FL lemon law. I decided to purchase a 2018 because I loved the car and really thought those were isolated incidents. I took the car on a 1000 mile trip last week. I brought the car in for an inspection just to make sure everything was okay before my trip.
I hit about 10 hours into the trip and the traction light came on with the error "service electronic stability control" and then another light came on, the A with the circle and the exclamation point at the end, and the error message "Stop/Start Unavailable. Service Stop/Start System."
I called chrysler cares using the assist button, after being on the phone with someone for about an hour I got disconnected. They never called me back and I kind of lost my patience.
I was able to connect with the rep at FCA that helped me with my 2017 and she arranged for me to drop the car off at a dealership where I am now. However, this is a very small town and they don't even sell the Pacifica at this dealership. I am hoping they can still fix the car but who knows.
My bigger concern is what do those errors mean and why is this happening again?!?!
D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts