2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Still no windshield for my 2018 Chrysler Pacifica which I think is flat-out ridiculous for a brand new vehicle. I mean they're still making brand new minivans which probably is the same fitting windshield yet I'm driving around with a smashed windshield for two weeks
Who is saying there are no windshields? Your first post seemed to say that insurance is telling you that.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Really? Call any dealer they don't have any windshields in stock. Do you really think i would post this otherwise?

Scott
Really what? I asked a question. So you're saying dealers told you there are no windshields? Your first post said that glass insurance called you back and told you that. Which is it?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Really what? I asked a question. So you're saying dealers told you there are no windshields? Your first post said that glass insurance called you back and told you that. Which is it?
In my case, both the insurance company, the aftermarket glass vendor/installer, and the dealer told me that my windshield was on backorder. Not a mutually exclusive thing.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Still no windshield for my 2018 van. Which I think is crazy.

Scott
As I asked last week, who is telling you there isn't a windshield for your van? Are you calling dealers?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Are you calling dealers?
Some, not all, but some, have better things to do than take the time to call around to dealers, recite the VIN, and hear repeatedly "Sorry, there are none available. Backordered nationwide. Satellite is backordered as well".
We are not talking about a 1948 Chevrolet 5 window coupe or some other rare car.
We are talking about a vehicle that is still in production, with sales actually down.
When one hears the same story from owners in different areas of the country, one starts to believe it may be true. Dealers can't get them, independent glass shops can't get them.
Making more calls is a waste of time to some of us.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Some, not all, but some, have better things to do than take the time to call around to dealers, recite the VIN, and hear repeatedly "Sorry, there are none available. Backordered nationwide. Satellite is backordered as well".
We are not talking about a 1948 Chevrolet 5 window coupe or some other rare car.
We are talking about a vehicle that is still in production, with sales actually down.
When one hears the same story from owners in different areas of the country, one starts to believe it may be true. Dealers can't get them, independent glass shops can't get them.
Making more calls is a waste of time to some of us.
Well I have the time to waste and found out this afternoon that the one independent glass shop I called has them, apparently.

I called safelite auto glass in my town, asked what the current wait was for a 2018 pacifica limited gas with all options. They said there isn't a wait and they could do it monday. I asked if they are sure they had it in stock and they said yes. Of course I may have spoken to a bonehead and if I showed up they might have none but who knows. I'm in the northeast, the nationwide number is 866-685-0237 and you can check yourself.

But getting back to dealers, why call them at all? Back a few months ago when I had windshield issues, a couple local dealers both said that windshield replacement isn't a dealer/manufacturer/warranty issue. They both said that's my insurance's responsibility... but then again dealers lie.

Whether dealers should be service oriented and get involved with windshield replacements on their relatively new vehicles is a different story. They should if that want happy customers but they don't seem to want happy customers.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Well I have the time to waste and found out this afternoon that the one independent glass shop I called has them, apparently.

But getting back to dealers, why call them at all?
Because Safellite said they could not do the camera calibration. They would have to have the van overnight so that they could have a dealer calibrate the camera behind the windshield. They don't have loaners.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Because Safellite said they could not do the camera calibration. They would have to have the van overnight so that they could have a dealer calibrate the camera behind the windshield. They don't have loaners.
So get the glass calibrated at a later time. This is not rocket surgery.

·
Registered
809 Posts
So get the glass calibrated at a later time. This is not rocket surgery.
You still don't get it.
THEY DON'T HAVE THE WINDSHIELDS TO PUT IN.
THEY ARE IN SHORT SUPPLY FOR SOME REASON.
THEY ARE MADE OF UNOBTAINIUM.
I don't understand why you are so dismissive of issues others are having. They are not stupid.
There is a windshield issue somewhere in the supply chain.
"Rocket surgery" has nothing to do with anything, if the glass shops or dealers cannot get the part.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You don't get it. Frig called Safelite and they said they had them, but needed the van overnight. That report may not be accurate, and we won't know for sure unless a forum member goes to that glass place with an 18 Pacifica. But it's believable.

The supply chain issue is partly Chrysler's fault (for the same reaons as the batteries), partly the market and partly the nature of the part: batteries are batteries, but windshields are unique. Both of the batteries in the Pacifica are used in other vehicles by other manufacturers. They're the same batteries with different labels. But a Pacifica windshield is only going to fit in another Pacifica, and the 2018 has 5 different part numbers for the windhield.

A part that fits maybe 1/5 of all 2018 Pacificas isn't going to be as available as a part that fits all Pacificas of all model years, other FCA vehicles and other vehicles from other manufacturers. Aftermarket isn't going to chase that windshield too hard either, because the sensors and whatnot that come on them aren't glass.

There are windshields out there, but unless they're nearby they might as well not exist. You can't expect to UPS one very well, and your warranty or insurance isn't going to pay for that, much less a 4 day road trip to get it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
All I know is that I waited 5 weeks for a windshield to be found.
Two dealers and two glass shops told me they were unavailable.
Another poster is(was) having the same issue.
It is a problem. If trig found one in his town, good for him.
My van is fine until it needs something. So far, that something was an entire engine
and a windshield. Both times the parts took 4 to five weeks to arrive. I have two dealers
I go to in two different parts of the state. They do good work, but can't seem to get the parts.
I don't like being told by someone that it is somehow my fault.
It is a Chrysler problem. The only thing I did wrong was to buy the dam thing.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I think @Van Go said it better than I ever could.

They seemingly do have the windshields to put in, safelite does.

I didn't call a dealer, that's not who's supposed to be involved (allegedly). Dealers aren't to be bothered (allegedly). That's the system we're given and we have to work within it. Dealers need to get involved with the calibration and safelite will tell you immediately that you have to arrange an appointment with them following getting the new windshield.

But that's where I live, in the northeast, with my year and options, your mileage may vary. This was the case 2 months ago when I got mine replaced; they had it in stock along with 2 other pacifica windshields. But that was 2 months ago, for my year and options, this is not negating anyone else's first hand experience today.

This is however showing that 3 windshields in the entire country was a false statement, at least for a 2018 limited with all the options (allegedly).

Stating contrary facts is not being dismissive.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts