2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've never seen "<1%" on my 2018. It is either 1% or 0%.
That's a new one. Is the sequence...2%...1%...<1% or ...2%...<1%? Frankly, I'd be happier with a simple declination of...2%...1%...0%.

I wonder if it has to do with how long it takes for it to switch over to ICE operation. It doesn't seem to be an immediate switch over upon hitting 0%.

Recently, I had gotten down to 0%. However, I was near a charging station and it 'seemed' like it stayed on battery, for maybe as much as a half mile (or more).

So, the question is, how long does a PacHy actually remain on battery power, even if it indicates 0% (or <1% on a 2019)?

I suppose it's some sort of legal/engineering thing. Removing every last bit of charge from a battery is not good and holds the potential of shortening its life (if not outright bricking it). So, maybe in an effort to make it more accurate to say a tiny bit of charge is retained, they went with "<1%" instead of "0%" the latter of which, technically, looks like the battery is completely discharged (when it really isn't).

·
Registered
49 Posts
2%..1%..<1%

Also, they don't completely drain the battery ever so that they won't brick it and can offer the long warranties that everyone wants because they're scared of battery replacement costs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Looks like another difference between 2018 and 2019 PacHy has been discovered.

I wonder if there's any actual difference between '0%' and '<1%' or if it's just some engineer's idea of being more technically correct in the readout since the battery is never really down to a completely discharged state of '0%'.

It sounds rather like the readout on the Prius which, although it would show between "100%" or "0%", in actuality, a Prius' battery is only charged to 80%, and is never discharged less than 60%.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes I noticed this - our work fleet '17 Pachy went to 0% but my personal '19 Pachy does the <1% thing. I figured it was just noting the same thing. Like mentioned above, 0% isn't accurate as there is always some minimal charge being held.

Didn't know that a Prius only does 60%-80% of use - why is that? I understand peak performance ranges on a battery but why limit use like that

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yes I noticed this - our work fleet '17 Pachy went to 0% but my personal '19 Pachy does the <1% thing. I figured it was just noting the same thing. Like mentioned above, 0% isn't accurate as there is always some minimal charge being held.

Didn't know that a Prius only does 60%-80% of use - why is that? I understand peak performance ranges on a battery but why limit use like that
From what I’ve heard it is harder on lithium-ion batteries when you charge/discharge them when they are near the fully charged or fully discharged state. It’s much better to keep them in a range of, say, 20%-80%. I’m sure that most devices like cell phones do a similar thing. Their indications of 0% and 100% are not necessarily indicative of reality.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The % is misleading. Think of it as the % left of pure electric before going into the hybrid mode. It probably switches to the hybrid mode at about 20% of actual battery charge left, although it will display 0%.
If you plug into a charger that tells you the delivered power you will see >13kW even when you charge from 0% display. The battery is 16kW so at 0% display there is probably ~3kw left.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm glad FCA is still working on these vans, but I wish they would introduce something more useful than changing display from 0 to <1, like adding an option to use only electricity for preconditioning for the vans plugged in garages.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm glad FCA is still working on these vans, but I wish they would introduce something more useful than changing display from 0 to <1, like adding an option to use only electricity for preconditioning for the vans plugged in garages.
Or gas only for my highway portion of my commute so I can save the electricity for the city portion.

·
Registered
185 Posts
From what I’ve heard it is harder on lithium-ion batteries when you charge/discharge them when they are near the fully charged or fully discharged state. It’s much better to keep them in a range of, say, 20%-80%. I’m sure that most devices like cell phones do a similar thing. Their indications of 0% and 100% are not necessarily indicative of reality.
The only problem is that, for a long time, Priuses used a Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMH) battery (don't know if the latest version still does). But I think the same principle applies.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The only problem is that, for a long time, Priuses used a Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMH) battery (don't know if the latest version still does). But I think the same principle applies.
Yeah, I think the rule applies generally to all types of batteries with some (like the Li-ion) being more sensitive than others.

·
Registered
73 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts