2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
any summary for how 2019 PacHy limited compares to the gas model as well as to Odyssey Elite ?

I can understand missing 8th seat ( must save weight ) or the missing vacuum and spare tire ( 12V has to go somewhere, although ... how does it displace BOTH vac and spare tire ? )

but some other omissions are more perplexing ... like Halogen headlights ... really silly on a $50,000 car.

also if i understand correctly no power folding 3rd row seats ? my mother was really impressed by that feature when we tried it at the dealership - obviously i assumed it was the same on Hybrid.

any other missing features on the 2019 PacHy Limited ? i am hearing the 2019 is not as bad as 2018 as far as missing features go - is that true ?

i also think even the Hybrid version although having less features than Gasser still has more features than Odyssey Elite ... which doesn't have 360 degree camera or tri-pane panoramic roof which are two features that i think really add value ... anything else the Odyssey is missing ?

i'm frankly not very keen on the 9 speed automatic in either Pacifica or Odyssey ... but the Hybrid is really good and so is the 10 speed in the Odyssey ( although i only test drove the 9 speed odyssey and the shifts felt like some kind of rental home depot van which is a shame because handling was excellent ).

i really want a minivan and i ruled out the Sienna already because it's just way too dated inside but Pacifica and Odyssey seem to run neck in neck mainly because they are keeping an eye on each other and adjust pricing and features accordingly ...

as i said i see the Hybrid Pacifica as competition to 10 speed Odyssey whereas the Gas Pacifica as competition to 9 speed Odyssey.

the resale value will be higher on Odyssey but Pacifica has bigger discounts. it all seems to balance out - very hard to decide.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Odyssey in any trim level does not have a rear evaporator and tries to cool the entire van with just the front evaporator. Many complaints on the Odyssey forum I watch.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You’ll find a lot of threads about the differences if you search. The big difference is lack of Stow’n’Go. For me, SnG was the feature that pushed me to Chrysler when I bought my old van in 2009. I used it quite a bit over the years. I’m going to miss it with my new Hybrid.

The inability to tow on the Hybrid may or may not matter to you.

The 2018s didn’t have memory seats, which pushed me towards the 19. I was also concerned about how long the 18s have been sitting on the lot. In my experience, batteries that aren’t properly maintained develop issues at a much higher rate than those which are regulaly used.

Lack of power fold rear seats is an advantage, to me. It’s pulling two cords per seat, and the process happens faster manually than powered. I can get impatient. The power sliding doors don’t close as quickly as my old manual sliders, which I find somewhat irritating. One less thing to go wrong, too.

You should go drive a PacHy. It drives very differently than a conventional transmission. Pretty good handling for a van, too.

For me, the economics of the PacHy won out over the features of the gas version. We’ll see how that plays out in practice. Yesterday I drove to work and back without using any gas, which was both expected and trippy. I’m amazed that a 5,000lbs vehicle can do that.

·
Registered
332 Posts
any summary for how 2019 PacHy limited compares to the gas model as well as to Odyssey Elite ?

I can understand missing 8th seat ( must save weight ) or the missing vacuum and spare tire ( 12V has to go somewhere, although ... how does it displace BOTH vac and spare tire ? )

also if i understand correctly no power folding 3rd row seats ? my mother was really impressed by that feature when we tried it at the dealership - obviously i assumed it was the same on Hybrid.
The vac and spare tire occupy the same space. You can't have both so the hybrid 12v battery takes the place of the vac OR spare tire.

I have the gas limited with the power folding 3rd row and would prefer the manual folding seats. The power folding seats are much slower to stow or unstow and some owners have been stuck with the seats in a partial position due to a failure of the power folding mechanism. The manual folding seats are easy to operate, taking little effort.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
The Honda has 2nd row seating that slides fore-aft and side-to-side. The PacHy has a bit of fore-aft adjustment only. In both cases the 2nd row seats are big and heavy, about 70 pounds each, and awkward to remove. The Honda’s floor is not very flat with the seats removed, the PacHy should be better. The petrol powered Pacifica has 2nd row seats that fold into the floor. It’s a clear winner if you switch between people and cargo on a regular basis. Folks with child seats seem to like the Honda setup.

The 9 speed transmission in the Honda and Pacifica is basically the same - they both purchase it from the German supplier ZF. Pick yer poison...

The manual folding third row in the Pacifica is so quick and easy to put up and down that the power option seems silly and pointless in comparison. It’s one more thing to break, and it doesn’t really add any value, so...

·
Registered
83 Posts
If a hybrid powertrain matters at all to you, the Pachy is the only game in town. I didn't even consider any competitors. We've never used Stow n Go, and kids' car seats take up the middle row so we don't miss that. Like others said, and it makes sense, the Hybrid is built up from the base gas Pacifica, so components are added over time. Agree that HID should be included on a Limited trim, but it's more of a nice to have.

·
Registered
188 Posts
A lot of things are subcontracted in the Automotive

World transmissions are one on them.

bmw used a GM transmission for a long time.
The current auto that is in BMW's is also used
in a few other brands.

I don't think the transmission the Pachy is subbed
though that is a one of kind design though based
on other hybrids.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If a hybrid powertrain matters at all to you, the Pachy is the only game in town. I didn't even consider any competitors. We've never used Stow n Go, and kids' car seats take up the middle row so we don't miss that. Like others said, and it makes sense, the Hybrid is built up from the base gas Pacifica, so components are added over time. Agree that HID should be included on a Limited trim, but it's more of a nice to have.
Another point in favor of the non-Stow n'Go seats is simply comfort. For younger children (particularly those requiring a child seat), Stow n'Go seats are adequate. But woe be it to any adults having to sit in a Stow n'Go seat for any length of time. They have a much sharper angle than the removable seats and those passengers will most definitely not be reclining. FCA has improved them a bit by using thinner material (mostly making them easier to fold) but they're still not very comfortable. I might even go so far as to say that the Stow n'Go seats are actually a bit closer to the old, folding jump seats that were used in cabs and livery-type vehicles.

So, if you're planning on hauling adult-sized humans on a regular basis, Stow n'Go seating is not a good choice.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Do OEMs purchase the transmissions or license the design and build them in house?
Both, I think. Per Wikipedia (hey, what could go wrong?) Honda purchases transmissions manufactured by ZF in their South Carolina factory. Chrysler manufactures the 948TE and 928TE in two of their own factories, presumably under license.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Interesting - i didn't know Honda doesn't have rear AC.

I also didn't realize there is so much hate for the power folding 3rd row LOL.

I still like the power sliding doors though - i don't know why - just feels fancy.

I test drove Odyssey, Pacifica and PacHy TWICE EACH. Only thing i didn't test drive is 10-speed Odyssey.

Regular Pacifica was perfectly adequate but did not excite me. Odyssey surprised me with unexpected agility in the corners but overall felt a bit like a tin can and the transmission was abrupt. PacHy was impressively smooth, linear and QUIET although not super fast and yellow headlights a bit disappointing.

Based on what i read on 10 speed vs 9 speed in Odyssey the 10 Speed Odyssey should drive very well but paying $10,000 extra just to have a smoother shifting transmission seems ridiculous as even in top trim Odyssey still misses premium features like panoramic roof or 360 degree camera.

I definitely feel stow and go 2nd row is lacking lateral support whereas PacHy second row is excellent and Honda 2nd row is in between the two.

Frankly for seats that are so thick and do not fold the Honda 2nd row is terrible ... but now that i think about it they were probably designed for installing child seats or for small children ... so it's actually surprising that PacHy has 2nd row seats that are virtually identical to 1st row ...

but the killer feature of PacHy to me is instant electric heat. both times i test-drove it was this past month ( March ) and it was about 45F outside in NY/NJ but every time i got in the PacHy it was already hot inside even though it was only started 2 minutes before ...

i think this is one of those things like SSDs vs rotational hard drives in computer where once you experience the speed you can't go back ...

It appears that Pacifica Hybrid Limited ***with*** Mopar MaxCare extended warranty can be had for about the same price as Odyssey Elite - does that sound about right ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Don't forget that instead of stow and go, you get much nicer, more adjustable middle seats with the head restraint that is at the proper safe height. I'm surprised this isn't discussed more. I'm only 6' and the middle row head restraint on the non-hybrid seats is way below a safe height. I doubt they go high enough for someone who is 5'6".

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i just got a low tire pressure warning in the Camry and went to fill it up and it reminded me how in an older car i had you had to drive for a while before it would tell you the pressure but in Camry XLE it has "direct pressure readout" meaning it shows pressure in real time as you're adding air to the tire so you know when to stop ...

i think the Volt even beeps at you to tell you when to stop ...

anyway, does PacHy limited have "direct pressure readout" or any TPMS for that matter ?

i really wish automakers would just keep the features the same on hybrid and non-hybrid models but we know that will never be the case as long as hybrid volumes are a tiny fraction of gas volumes and they can't afford to have as many options / trims for the hybrids ...

·
Registered
83 Posts
i just got a low tire pressure warning in the Camry and went to fill it up and it reminded me how in an older car i had you had to drive for a while before it would tell you the pressure but in Camry XLE it has "direct pressure readout" meaning it shows pressure in real time as you're adding air to the tire so you know when to stop ...

i think the Volt even beeps at you to tell you when to stop ...

anyway, does PacHy limited have "direct pressure readout" or any TPMS for that matter ?

i really wish automakers would just keep the features the same on hybrid and non-hybrid models but we know that will never be the case as long as hybrid volumes are a tiny fraction of gas volumes and they can't afford to have as many options / trims for the hybrids ...
TPMS sensors today are all fairly real time. The Pacifica's is as well. But honestly, I don't know how someone uses the in-car readout to know when to stop pumping air into the tires, unless you're doing it home with an air compressor?

·
Registered
237 Posts
There's still cars out there without direct readouts, cough, Prius. You would think an advanced car like that would have readouts. I'm thinking Toyota is slowly transitioning. I like Nissan's tire fill alert feature, it will honk when you reach the correct pressure.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
A digital tire gauge is only $7 https://amzn.to/2KaFQUl
will your digital tire gauge alert me when i start the car that that the air is low ?

or can i use it to verify low tire pressure was the cause after the car rolled over a couple times at 80 mph ?

LOL

TPMS sensors today are all fairly real time. The Pacifica's is as well. But honestly, I don't know how someone uses the in-car readout to know when to stop pumping air into the tires, unless you're doing it home with an air compressor?
i like how it shows all 4 tire pressures at the same time - yesterday 1 was "low" but i put air in 3 of the tires so it was nice and even with the one tire that had the most pressure.

not necessary i guess but more useful than 90% of other features like rear seat entertainment or 3rd row ( i don't have kids ).

i only need 4 seats and ability to haul Bicycles ( ability to haul Sheetrock / Plywood is also definitely nice )

·
Registered
477 Posts
will your digital tire gauge alert me when i start the car that that the air is low ?

or can i use it to verify low tire pressure was the cause after the car rolled over a couple times at 80 mph ?

LOL

i like how it shows all 4 tire pressures at the same time - yesterday 1 was "low" but i put air in 3 of the tires so it was nice and even with the one tire that had the most pressure.

not necessary i guess but more useful than 90% of other features like rear seat entertainment or 3rd row ( i don't have kids ).

i only need 4 seats and ability to haul Bicycles ( ability to haul Sheetrock / Plywood is also definitely nice )
LOL :rolleyes:

I'd trust a $7 tire gauge that will give me exact relative pressures rather than 4 individual tpms sensors any day of the week. It's an added safety feature, you still gotta check each tire pressure periodically, and visually inspect them every time.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
About this Discussion
62 Replies
18 Participants
g1981c
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing