2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious for feedback, we were hit on the left side tire and some strut parts and knuckle were replaced on the left side. Immediately upon picking it up once we reached highway speeds, I hear a droning from the left side front over 65, it changes w turning. Shop says it’s unrelated to the accident so the guy who hit us insurance won’t pay, seems odd that this never happened before but it’s unrelated. Repair and alignment is $815.

Van has 30k miles if that helps at all. Curious to hear others thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
980 Posts
Curious for feedback, we were hit on the left side tire and some strut parts and knuckle were replaced on the left side. Immediately upon picking it up once we reached highway speeds, I hear a droning from the left side front over 65, it changes w turning. Shop says it’s unrelated to the accident so the guy who hit us insurance won’t pay, seems odd that this never happened before but it’s unrelated. Repair and alignment is $815.

I would say that it’s very possible that the accident caused this. If the accident was severe enough to cause damage to other suspension components then it could do damage to the wheel bearing. I have looked at the races of bad wheel bearings and sometimes you can’t even see the damage without the aid of a magnifier.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Bearings usually last about 60-80 , depending on quality , and go bad with weight load , water penetration, poorly balanced tires and rims , roads that are poorly kept . A accident will indeed cause the bearing to go bad , any force imploded on that strut will cause the bearing to go out of round ( bearings and grease will wear unevenly ) and a good auto shop will know that a accident will also cause this .

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
1,247 Posts
If the sound is coming from the left front, I would say you need a left hub assembly, not the right one. If they needed to replace the corresponding (left) strut and knuckle, they were stupid not to also replace the hub assembly IMO.

·
Registered
2021 Hybrid Limited "S"
280 Posts

So where does the right side wheel bearing (in your title) recommendation come from? 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I told the body shop ( who is dealing with the guys insurance) about the noise, he has us take it to Dobbs who did the mechanical work

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dobbs said the noise was from a worn out RIGHT side wheel bearing and the timing w the accident is coincidental.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The insurance company used and approved Dobbs for the work and thought this was going to be a smoother process

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ugh. This post doesn’t bode well for me. I was in accident May 20th and I still don’t have my car back because they keep finding other issues and there are delays getting parts. The guy who hit me was underinsured so repairs are coming from my insurance who is approving as little work as possible. I know at least 2 struts were replaced. Already over $20k in repairs and I doubt it will be done right.

·
Registered
2021 Hybrid Limited "S"
280 Posts
When I told the body shop ( who is dealing with the guys insurance) about the noise, he has us take it to Dobbs who did the mechanical work
Dobbs said the noise was from a worn out RIGHT side wheel bearing and the timing w the accident is coincidental.
No offense, but you're not making much sense here.

YOU said the droning was from "the left side front over 65." So why would they have even looked at the right side?

They should/should've changed the left side wheel bearing though if that's the side that was hit and making noise

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree with you! They said they traced the noise I was hearing on the left and determined the droning was caused by the right side wheel bearing failing

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Didn’t fix it and turns out dobbs never actually heard the sound because they only test drive up to 40 mph. Had they told me that I would have drive them 65 mph to hear it. They also said it was fixed because they never drove fast enough to hear it after it was repaired.

Now I’m out $800 and still have to get the noise fixed and get the persons insurance who hit us to pay for it. Shitty job dobbs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Shouldn’t have trusted them

How long did it take for you to discover the noise? I’m supposed to pick up my van this week. The body shop has had it for 11 weeks. I’m not optimistic they fixed it back to pre-collision condition so I’m going to test it as much as I can when I pick it up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How long did it take for you to discover the noise? I’m supposed to pick up my van this week. The body shop has had it for 11 weeks. I’m not optimistic they fixed it back to pre-collision condition so I’m going to test it as much as I can when I pick it up.
I heard it immediately once I was at highway speed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts