2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So within 3 days our van has had 3 issues. First the CEL came on, wife took it to dealer, they said our charger caused p0cf3. We've got a juicebox pro 40......Any idea what my next steps are to figure out what's causing the p0cf3 CEL?

Then my wife went to fuel up and the fuel door wouldn't open she said, (i wasn't there, and now the fuel door works fine for me, I also showed her the manual release in the air pump cubby by the fuel door.

But she said she couldn't fill it up. The pump kept clicking off for her. She tried 3 different gas stations, and ended up just pulling the handle 22 times to get 10 gallons in there.

I've had it kick off once, but then i just pulled the fuel nozzle out a bit and it worked fine. I'll give it a shot later today and see if i can replicate her issue.

the P0CF3 issue is frustrating me though. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. We've never charged our pachy on anything but our juicebox pro 40. We're at about 18,000 issue free miles now.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
i did see that @stop-eject had posted, https://www.pacificaforums.com/threads/p0cf3-error-after-plugging-into-a-l2-public-charger.42787/post-555403 about P0CF3 being caused by a bad pilot circuit.....Any way i can test the juicebox pro 40 for this?
You'll need to have an oscilloscope and build an ev emulator https://github.com/OpenEVSE/OpenEVSE_EV_Simulator
For all practical purposes checking if the van charges from any other EVSE is sufficient. Even the included L1 EVSE will do- it also sends a pilot signal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
On the clicking off thing, this is an annoying incompatibility between some gas pump designs (trying three is useless if they are at the same gas station...) and the capless tank design.

It seems to work more or less always if you put the pump in at a 90 degree angle, so the “trigger” of the pump is resting on the gas tank door as you fill up. Learned that from a gas station attendant.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the clicking off thing, this is an annoying incompatibility between some gas pump designs (trying three is useless if they are at the same gas station...) and the capless tank design.

It seems to work more or less always if you put the pump in at a 90 degree angle, so the “trigger” of the pump is resting on the gas tank door as you fill up. Learned that from a gas station attendant.
we've now tried 4 gas stations this week, some of them worked just fine before, though it could be some weird thing, i'm thinking something is actually broken in ours.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had a problem with the fuel tank door also (check engine light came on at the same time, while we were about 800 miles from home so thank goodness for the manual override), and the dealer replaced a valve in the fuel tank after checking the codes. It took a week for them to get the part in, but they were fine with us driving for the duration.

Sadly we also get the problems with the pumps clicking off during fueling. It's not related to the fuel door issue, since it happened both before and after the fix. We had the same problem with another car that had a capless tank. Holding the pump handle at 90 degrees works some of the time... endless patience is needed at other times.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a problem with the fuel tank door also (check engine light came on at the same time, while we were about 800 miles from home so thank goodness for the manual override), and the dealer replaced a valve in the fuel tank after checking the codes. It took a week for them to get the part in, but they were fine with us driving for the duration.

Sadly we also get the problems with the pumps clicking off during fueling. It's not related to the fuel door issue, since it happened both before and after the fix. We had the same problem with another car that had a capless tank. Holding the pump handle at 90 degrees works some of the time... endless patience is needed at other times.
The dealer replaced a valve in the fuel tank to fix the fuel tank door issue?

i'll give this 90degree pump handle bandaid fix a try.......I was excited for this capless design.......not any more.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The dealer replaced a valve in the fuel tank to fix the fuel tank door issue?
Opening the door doesn't just open the physical exterior door... it also prepares the gas tank to receive fuel (by depressurizing the system and so on). This is why the car makes you wait a few seconds between when you push the fuel button and when the door actually pops. The physical door is really there to keep you from putting gas in the car until the car is prepared to take it.

I'm guessing his issue was that something was kaput internally with the tank which caused the door-opening-and-depressurization process to error out.

all of this complexity is to make the car more environmentally friendly...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Opening the door doesn't just open the physical exterior door... it also prepares the gas tank to receive fuel (by depressurizing the system and so on). This is why the car makes you wait a few seconds between when you push the fuel button and when the door actually pops. The physical door is really there to keep you from putting gas in the car until the car is prepared to take it.

I'm guessing his issue was that something was kaput internally with the tank which caused the door-opening-and-depressurization process to error out.

all of this complexity is to make the car more environmentally friendly...
ohhh, that makes sense, and I also had no idea. I'm telling the wife to take it to the dealer and explain the issues. got a lifetime warranty for a reason, right?

·
Registered
285 Posts
ohhh, that makes sense, and I also had no idea. I'm telling the wife to take it to the dealer and explain the issues. got a lifetime warranty for a reason, right?
If you look in your quick reference guide, on page 4, it says it can take up to 15 secs for the door to open. It also states in high ambient temperatures it can possibly take longer than 15 secs for the tank to depressurize and the door to open.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You and me both! My last Chrysler van lasted 15 years, but all the new tech had me concerned about repair costs. So far my PacHy has been great but I bought the warranty since I tend to keep cars a long time.

The fuel pump clicking off is fairly common... as mentioned, I've had it happen with other car brands too, but the door not opening for your wife is something I'd have checked even though it started working again. It happened twice to me... the first time about 5 months after I got the car and again about 18 months later. I just checked my service records: they replaced the Fuel Tank Isolation Valve both times. FYI, these are the only problems I've had with my car in 2 years / 38,000 miles. Both times it took about a week to get the part in, but I was able to keep driving it, and then it took 1-2 hours for the dealer to install.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts