2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 2019 Touring L with 235/60 18's and it just has a Repair kit and air pump.
That might work for small percentage of flats, but it concerns me it still might strand me on any length of trip.
I looked into many ways to provide myself more peace of mind.
The original spare is expensive (about $600.00) and lose some storage. It also is not a fix for the semi long term.
That tire "Compact and Collapsible spares are for temporary
emergency use only. With these spares, do not drive
more than 50 mph (80 km/h). Temporary use spares
have limited tread life."
So $600.00 to save a bit of space and only 50 MPH (maybe) does not seem the best overall if outside a City during the workday.
My Idea is to buy a Chrysler 17" rim it's about $80.00 a decent new 225/60 17 tire $70.00, a 18" rim is over $100 and a decent tire over $100 and the total wight would be 60 lbs combined verses the 17" about 52 lbs and a very similar size overall and safe (ask any expert). But it will also save you over 2% in size in Diameter and circumference (almost 2 inches), and over 5% in width. The combination of less weight and smaller size is important since it will need to be stored in the van.

With this set up you could drive on indefinitely until a repair or replacement could be made.
One never knows if you have a serious blow out and or rim totaled this system could work in case you cannot find a replacement rim and or tire in the sort term.
If all you have is the inflatable spare and a rim goes one could be stranded for some time.
Anybody have insights, comments or questions?

·
Registered
470 Posts
The inflatable spare does it for our needs and cost more like $300 not $600. It fits nicely into the 2ND Row Stow N Go well so it is not always compromising interior space. The "about 50 mile range" is an approximation and in a true emergency the point is to get you to a place where your flat tire can be repaired or replaced. We are seldom if ever outside a range of 50 miles from access to a place to repair or replace the flat.

·
Registered
96 Posts
From what I remember another member here "ezdays" has not been successful in finding the factory spare and has been looking for a while. We may be in the market for one as well so if anyone, knows of a source let us all know.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I bought a 2019 Touring L with 236/60 18's and it just has a Repair kit and air pump.
That might work for small percentage of flats, but it concerns me it still might strand me on any length of trip.
The original spare is expensive (about $600.00) and lose some storage. It also is not a fix for the semi long term.
That tire "Compact and Collapsible spares are for temporary
emergency use only. With these spares, do not drive
more than 50 mph (80 km/h). Temporary use spares
have limited tread life."
So $600.00 to save a bit of space and only 50 MPH (maybe) does not seem the best overall if outside a City during the workday.
My Idea is to buy a Chrysler 17" rim it's about $80.00 a decent new 225/60 17 tire $70.00, a 18" rim is over $100 and a decent tire over $100 and the total wight would be 60 lbs combined verses the 17" about 52 lbs and a very similar size overall and safe (ask any expert). But it will also save you over 2% in size in Diameter and circumference (almost 2 inches), and over 5% in width. The combination of less weight and smaller size is important since it will need to be stored in the van.

With this set up you could drive on indefinitely until a repair or replacement could be made.
One never knows if you have a serious blow out and or rim totaled this system could work in case you cannot find a replacement rim and or tire in the sort term.
If all you have is the inflatable spare and a rim goes one could be stranded for some time.
Here are some links to threads about the spare tire. The inflatable spare tire comes on its own rim.

https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/497-accessories-add-ons/35194-inflatable-spare-tire-vs-donut-3.html?nojs=1#goto_threadtools

https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/193-2017-chrysler-pacifica-minivan-general-discussion/14746-tire-service-kit.html?nojs=1#goto_threadtools

https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/393-interior/2306-would-spare-tire-fit-stow-n-go-well.html?nojs=1#goto_threadtools

·
Registered
332 Posts
I bought a 2019 Touring L with 236/60 18's and it just has a Repair kit and air pump.

My Idea is to buy a Chrysler 17" rim it's about $80.00 a decent new 225/60 17 tire $70.00, .. total weight about 52 lbs and a very similar size overall and safe (ask any expert). But it will also save you over 2% in size in Diameter and circumference (almost 2 inches), and over 5% in width. The combination of less weight and smaller size is important since it will need to be stored in the van.

I share your concern about relying on the tire sealant and inflator to get me going after a flat. The sealant will not fix some punctures and there are issues with fixing/replacing a tire after the sealant has been used. I have not had a flat in over 15 years but I still opted for the spare tire for my Pacifica (vacuum delete).

But I think you are over thinking the limitations of the compact spare.
FCA limits the compact spare to 50mph. You added "maybe" as if the speed might be less but, more likely, this speed is worse case conservative. Handling and braking will be affected by the smaller diameter and tread depth/design so I would take 50mph as the minimum "max speed". I expect the tire can be used at faster speeds under normal road conditions (not recommending this).

The diameter for the 225/60-17 you are considering as a spare (27.6") is the same as the 165/80-17 compact spare when inflated (27.4"). I assume that some of the speed restriction for the compact spare is attributable to the handling effects of having one tire 1.7" smaller in diameter than the other 3. You wrote the 225/60-17 is "similar in size and safe (ask any expert)" but any tire shop will warn against running with different tire sizes on the same axle and caution against running with tires that have different tread patterns. Driving with the 225/60-17 spare can be done safely but you will need to drive the van differently, including at slower speeds.

You are concerned that a catastrophic failure of both the tire and rim could require you to use the spare for an extended period of time, longer than the compact spare was designed for, while waiting for a replacement OEM setup. A flat tire is an unlikely occurrence. A flat with an unusable rim is even more unlikely. Consider that an impact sufficient to take out both the tire and rim likely will create a misalignment issue or cause damage to suspension parts that must be fixed. These could keep your van off the road or at least limit its driveability.

With regards to getting a replacement rim/tire in the short term if you experience the unlikely, worse case catastrophic failure; if close to home you likely can make do with the compact spare for a few days if your daily trips are short or you may have alternate transportation solutions. The problem gets more difficult on a long trip away from home but there are options including ordering a suitable tire/rim combination from an on-line seller like Tire Rack and having it shipped to an installer in the place you are visiting or one you will visit down the road. Sure, this may come at a premium cost and cause delays but may be acceptable strategy for an unlikely event.

Where are you going to store the 225/60-17 spare in the van? Seems like it will always be in the way and you may need to remove it if the cargo space is needed for something else. You wrote that you chose the 225/60-17 to get the size down over the original 235/60-18 but the size reduction is not very much. Only 14% less volume. The collapsed compact spare provides a 66% reduction in volume over the original tire. This is significant.

Finally, as mentioned in another post, the compact spare kit is closer to $300, not $600, and I think that includes the jack.

Ultimately you must make the decision that you are comfortable with and meets your driving needs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You must know my good friend who said exactly the same thing I am overthinking this!
I guess I'll get the factory spare.
Where are these $300 spares I hear of? I found these

$514.00
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-2019-CHRYSLER-PACIFICA-SPARE-TIRE-WHEEL-JACK-KIT-OEM-NEW-MOPAR-82215589-/192691621825

Unavailable
https://www.amazon.com/Chrysler-Pacifica-Spare-Tire-Kit/dp/B01DY2V9O6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Mopar retail is $424 sale prices $377 where is it for $300.00?

https://www.moparoneonline.com/v-2018-chrysler-pacifica--lx--c/mopar-accessories-component-parts--interior-protection

·
Registered
332 Posts
You must know my good friend who said exactly the same thing I am overthinking this!
I guess I'll get the factory spare.
Where are these $300 spares I hear of? I found these

$514.00
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-2019-CHRYSLER-PACIFICA-SPARE-TIRE-WHEEL-JACK-KIT-OEM-NEW-MOPAR-82215589-/192691621825

Unavailable
https://www.amazon.com/Chrysler-Pacifica-Spare-Tire-Kit/dp/B01DY2V9O6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Mopar retail is $424 sale prices $377 where is it for $300.00?

https://www.moparoneonline.com/v-2018-chrysler-pacifica--lx--c/mopar-accessories-component-parts--interior-protection
$300 is based on what I think members have posted in the past. Looks like price is now $370.50.
Interesting that part no. MOPAR 82215589 listed on ebay shows up on Mopar site as no longer available. Perhaps that is why seller is asking a premium price.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
There was a thread recently which stated that the inflatable tire was unavailable or out of production for some reason. I guess that has had been rectified now. I’m thinking may be I should get one set of spare as well and keep it in the stow n go compartment.
I swear that I had seen that spare on Amazon for about $300 (about a year ago) but didn’t buy it for some reason.
It’s kind of funny that all my other cars have spare tires and those have never been touched so far. But you never know. :D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I tried to buy the kit for the spare tire from 2 companies for about $300 (w/o side panel about $50.-$75.) and they say it is discontinued PART NUMBER: 82214534AB.(that is for a 2017) no availibility for a 2018 or 2019 model.
https://www.moparpartssurplus.com/p/Chrysler__Pacifica/This-kit-has-all-the-right-tools-to-make-installing-a-spare-tire-easy-and-convenient-Includes-tire--wheel-assembly--jack--jack-tool--and-mounting-hard/68846945/82214534AB.html?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhuvlBRCeARIsAM720HpHh6A_f1-XAOLG85SdbWup8tGVoYPpc4XVn-xWM-i1pglqs-YMx8MaAhc-EALw_wcB

However the spare alone is $600 i've been told of before, but it is not available?
So 2017 (only $300 the whole kit)) discontinued and unavailable, 2018 and 2019 not available!
It's odd the old kit included everything for $300 yet now only the spare is not available and $600.00?
Yet now the 3rd Mopar dealer said no part is available.

Any one have a line on just the spare (I will just keep it in the seat well, or elsewhere)?
This is why I saw the part on ebay $600 tire rim only but that too not available.

Maybe I'm back to my 17" rim and 225/65 x17 tire if I can't get a spare for less than $600?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called Moparonline that part # 82214035 (sold on amazon above) is for a 2014 town and country and WILL NOT fit a current model Pacifica.
I was told that the spare tire kits 82214534(ab) will not be produced again until Dec. 2019 and retail for $434.00. I was told by one Chrysler dealer that that part # included everything spare, jack, hardware and 2 panels both black and biege to fit all Pacificas.
I find it hard to belief it includes both outside panels.
I have found the panels on line from $50-85.

* REQUIRES REAR QUARTER CLOSE-OUT LEFT SPARE TIRE DOOR TRIM PANEL: 5RK06PD2AC (ALLOY) OR 5RK06DX9AC (BLACK) IF NOT CURRENTLY INSTALLED.

My search continues to get a usable spare hopefully less than $400.00, like I said, maybe back to my original post idea.

"My Idea is to buy a Chrysler 17" rim it's about $80.00 a decent new 225/60 17 tire $70.00, a 18" rim is over $100 and a decent tire over $100 and the total wight would be 60 lbs combined verses the 17" about 52 lbs and a very similar size overall and safe (ask any expert). But it will also save you over 2% in size in Diameter and circumference (almost 2 inches), and over 5% in width. The combination of less weight and smaller size is important since it will need to be stored in the van."

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Spare Tire # has been discontinued called many dealers

Thank you for the above link.
It seems most the dealers show that # and appear to have it but when you call them it is not in stock nor available.
Spare tire saga continues!
Maybe someone has a direct line to the manufacture so as to get the true story on spare tires.
Like I said a big dealer told me it showed nothing until December of 2019.
Changing vendors and /or other issues obliviously.

·
Registered
2 Posts
spare tire is available

My local dealer had a 20% off parts coupon that he would apply to the Mopar spare tire kit with the new beige plastic cover for about $400. Available overnight. Amazon had the exact same kit for $350 with Prime shipping included. Took a few more days to arrive but saved 50 bucks.

I have 2018 Limited and spare fit nicely in the passenger side stow & go bin. Later I decided to remove the vacuum cleaner and mount the spare in the back since the kit came with all the parts and cover needed.

Had an 17 inch mounted extra wheel and tire left over from a 2015 Town & Country that I threw in the back with all the luggage for a trip to Texas. (Previously I had carried that extra spare on the roof rack in a roof pod for long trips. But since the Pacifica Limited has the full length sun roof, had to block all that sun.) Back home after a month on the road, decided the compact spare is good enough for my peace of mind. Road service available from Chrysler, State Farm, and AAA, so I hope to never change the tire myself on the side of the road.

Have NOT used the compact spare, the old inflated spare, or the vacuum cleaner, but have all available if ever needed.

I bought a 2019 Touring L with 235/60 18's and it just has a Repair kit and air pump.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts