2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else itching to find out if they will continue usage of the Automatic Shutdown "Feature"? I'd love to use the van as a mini-camper for resting and camping in the cabin. But I can't get past the inclusion of such a ridiculous "feature". Is there any benefit to automatic shutdown? If only they would learn from #hotelprius. The Prius is perfect for camping within - unfortunately Toyota is years behind-the-times. Anyways, I hope whoever gets the first 2020 Model Year will post information about this issue!

Safe travels internet friends.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Mine runs for 1hour and shutsdown.

Start/stop button with no engine running noises makes it easy to forget and walk away with the key on.

IIRC, I heard somewhere but havent confirmed that placing it in Neutral instead of park bypasses the shutdown.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any possibility that you could run a test, while staying in the vehicle? This Van would make a great camper if you could crawl in the back and snooze at a campground or wherever. The manual states it will turn off after an hour "once the driver was exits the vehicle". I'm wondering if it starts the timer once the door sensor is activated.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Every feature in any product creates two groups - those that dont want it, and those that do..

Half of me doesnt support putting padded helmets on the masses to avoid banging heads.. But the other half thinks maybe we could make softer things that we tend to bang our heads on?..

Either way, people will always find a way to die doing stupid ****.

Have you heard of the Darwin Awards?

Good luck ending it all..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Super fun ethics and opinions discussion about why and if the default auto shutdown mode should be overridable, hoping we can revisit the original question.

Yes, am aware of the RasPi and this 2018 PacHy auto shutdown override programmable timer as options, but want to fully exhaust the no-mods options...

Any possibility that you could run a test, while staying in the vehicle? This Van would make a great camper if you could crawl in the back and snooze at a campground or wherever. The manual states it will turn off after an hour "once the driver was exits the vehicle". I'm wondering if it starts the timer once the door sensor is activated.
It does sound like the feature only applies so long as the driver has exited the vehicle. The question remains, how is this event detected? Options include: drivers door switch, seat pressure sensor, seat belt sensor. Two are easily defeatable by: placing some weight in the driver's seat and buckling the seatbelt. The third is defeatable with wiring change or perhaps duct tape over the door switch, unless the door latch/lock is involved. I am going to presume that if the driver exits and then enters again the auto-shutdown feature is once again disabled.

We used to drive a 2005 (self converted to PHEV) Prius and a 2012 PHEV Prius. On road trips it was great to "camp" at rest areas with the climate control running for hours during a nap. The duty cycle of the engine for either heat and/or power was really great. I can't confirm for sure that I would leave the driver's seat though.

Has anyone tried any of these tricks in order to achieve a Pacifica "camp mode" with no one in the driver's seat? Which year(s) if so? How was it achieved?

Does anyone know the minimum approximate weight to trigger the driver's seat pressure sensor?

To state the obvious, of course, NEVER ATTEMPT THIS IN AN ENCLOSED AREA LIKE A PARKING GARAGE OR YOUR HOMES GARAGE Lest the carbon dioxide/monoxide exhaust may induce death.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts