2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

2020 Pacifica Hybrid

158K views 822 replies 96 participants last post by  fotomoto 
#1 ·
Does anyone know when the 2020 Pacifica Hybrids will be coming out? I don't see any dealers with the vehicle, but the dealers have plenty of voyagers and standard gas version.

#2 ·
The collective knowledge is that Chrysler is not making any Pacifica Hybrids for general lot sales. They are being manufactured for two recipients: customers who order one and Waymo for its autonomous driving fleet. Several folks (including me) on the forum have placed orders and are awaiting fulfillment in the next 4-10 weeks. Tri-pane sunroofs have been a delaying factor for many, though anecdotally I've seen one person who was able to put in a successful order including the sunroof.

At this point, you should be able to find 2018-2019 models in lower trims on lots, but not at all in great numbers; you might have to search a bit. But 2020 PacHys won't be something you can "try before you buy".

#4 ·
I’m planning to purchase a 2020 hybrid. I would have settled for 2019 but the advanced safety tech is a must for me. My local dealer in FL has told me they can order 35th Anniversary 2020 hybrid model only. However, I want to take a look at this appearance package in a gas model first. Gas models with 35th Anniversary package are arriving at dealerships now. Honestly, I’m worried about FCAs commitment to this hybrid vehicle model. Per my search there are zero 2020 hybrids in inventory across US at start of Oct 2019, and incredibly low inventory on 2019 models, there are zero 2019/2018 in my region of the US with the advanced safety tech. This thinking that the 2020 hybrid vehicles are customer order only, if true, tells me FCA is not committed to this vehicle. How does a traditional US dealer sell vehicles he can not offer to customers for a test drive? Doesn’t make sense to me. I get it that these vehicles are not selling in big numbers, but no vehicles to test drive. Come on FCA!! Do you want to sell these vehicles or not?

#5 ·
It's not a money maker for FCA so they wouldn't put too much marketing or sales effort into it. Consider it more as a proof of concept; Jeep is rolling out two PHEVs in 2020 with similar EV architecture. The minivan market is just way too small, as more and more people migrate to crossovers and SUVs; even with a niche product like a hybrid van, the only one available, isn't making it a sales success. But the tech will transfer nicely to other higher margin vehicles in the portfolio.

Reactions: RC Mike
#6 ·
I think the hybrid's main customer is google; their purchases have far outweighed individual consumers. I believe it was designed in conjunction with waymo which also explains a few of their odd design decisions (no light in glovebox, no led headlights, comfier 2nd row seats, etc). Purchases by consumers have been a nice addition, but we're not the target audience. Having hybrids sit on dealer lots until the right buyer comes along has probably proven problematic for dealers. Also it probably hasn't brought in the foot traffic that they thought, so why bother having one token hybrid on the lot when they can just have a buyer order exactly what they want and have it arrive in a couple months. Most dealers don't even understand what the hybrid is and are focused on Jeeps anyway.

With that being said, order it, there's nothing like it, yet! (y)

Reactions: 1tg1
#8 ·
I think the hybrid's main customer is google; their purchases have far outweighed individual consumers. I believe it was designed in conjunction with waymo which also explains a few of their odd design decisions (no light in glovebox, no led headlights, comfier 2nd row seats, etc).
How would no glovebox light help waymo?
By keeping the cost down?

#10 ·
We are also looking at buying a 2020 PacHy. We’ve been told by the local dealer that they have some ordered but production is SLOW and the fastest way to get one on the lot is out a customer name on it. There aren’t any others available anywhere close to us. It is frustrating to have to place an order before getting to test drive or see it in person. For all you current owners out there, would you buy one again? With the reliability issues and fire scares we’re reading about on this site plus the supply issues, we are having some doubts. Thanks for your feedback.

#11 ·
We are also looking at buying a 2020 PacHy. We’ve been told by the local dealer that they have some ordered but production is SLOW and the fastest way to get one on the lot is out a customer name on it. There aren’t any others available anywhere close to us. It is frustrating to have to place an order before getting to test drive or see it in person. For all you current owners out there, would you buy one again? With the reliability issues and fire scares we’re reading about on this site plus the supply issues, we are having some doubts. Thanks for your feedback.

#12 ·
At least test drive a 2019, even if gasser. Hybrid will be the same only way better, as long as you don't overwhelmingly require 2nd row stow&go and towing.

And yes, would posilutely buy one again, and throw a wireless fire/CO2 alarm in the garage. (y)

#15 ·
Haha..., 7-12 weeks would be a dream. I am on week 16 and it hasn’t made any production progress in 45 days. Total halt since August. No answers from customer care. I was told it was escalated to corporate resources but it’s been several weeks with no answers other than they are looking into it. Uh-huh. Much like I am working on being a supermodel.

#16 ·
Think what was meant was 7-12 weeks from beginning of production. At least, that’s what my local dealers told me: once I ordered and production began it would take 7-12 weeks. Now they’re saying 10-12, so clearly things are going more slowly. I think @Kmcneil got caught between model years. 16 weeks ago is June, when they had stopped manufacturing ‘19s but long before production of ‘20s began. They really ought to manufacture up until the minute they have to close the plant to prepare for the next model year. Stinks. I was in the same boat. Waited until mid-September to order and hoping I don’t run into the same delays you’ve faced!

Reactions: Frig
#17 ·
I think it’s possible being caught between model years contributed to initial delay, but it has little bearing on why the vehicle got all the way to “paint” and then stopped all progress for 45 day’s.
Note, I was told the timeframe was from order NOT from the time production begins.
Also googling suggests FCA has had ongoing issues with the Windsor Plant regarding ending/reinstating/ending/extending 3rd shift Union workers. News on Aug 15 suggest 3rd shift reinstated following large fleet order. Suspect that large fleet order (Wemo?) is taking priority. If it’s a big enough fleet order to change Union shifts, guessing it’s big enough for FCA to not care about my one off order.

#18 ·
I seem to remember 2019 hybrids started showing up on dealer lots in late Oct/early Nov. I'm sure others on here can verify that or not. I tried poking around last year's New Member Introductions to get a better idea of the timeframe but there's only relative posting dates (ie "8 months ago") so I gave up.

Anyway I think part of the problem is we now have visibility into the manufacturing process, but who knows how accurate that visibility is. It's kinda like tracking a fedex package and watching it go halfway across the country when it just needed to go across town, but it still got delivered in 2 days.... it's like that only completely different. :unsure:

#19 ·
I just received the following response to my inquiry on timing of delivery for a vehicle ordered in June.
"Due to a supplier parts shortage, FCA is managing production of the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid until the issue can be resolved. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause our customers and are working with the supplier to address this issue as quickly as possible."

#23 ·
I'm also considering ordering a new 2020 PacHy.

The 3rd shift at Windsor was extended due to a 62,000 vehicle order from Waymo. When this was announced, the end date for 3rd shift was declared as Oct. 21 which is next Monday, so I'm assuming that the Waymo order is expected to be essentially complete by now, and regular customer or dealer stock orders should be starting to be built. With all 3 shifts working, the production rate is supposed to be close to 2000 vehicles per day, so even with only 2 shifts I have to assume they'd be able to produce over 1000 vehicles per day, barring parts or production problems.
In short, I think we should see 2020 Hybrids starting to come out next week or very soon after!

#28 ·
You know this how? I don't think waymo needs their order fulfilled right away, it's an ongoing, phased in thing. Last time I checked they had a fleet of less than a thousand.

#58 ·
Just thinking through this issue a bit more. Several have reported back to the forum that various parts are unavailable (hybrid battery, hood, etc.). Using the Chrysler build codes that have been posted here (the first posting on our forum was sourced from this posting on the ChallengerTalk.com forum), the "parts are unavailable" excuse doesn't hold up. D status is defined by Chrysler as "Firm schedule - dealer has allocation and all parts available". The veracity of the codes seems to be borne out by my interactions with Chrysler Cares phone staff, who definitely understand the "language" of the codes that I use to interact with them. So, if the code list is correct and if the system is telling me (and others) that our vehicles are in D status, then, by definition, all parts are available. I can't imagine that FCA would be able to function if it applied stati to vehicles that weren't accurate. With thousands of vehicles being produced every week, vehicle status simply must be 100% accurate within the internal tracking system.

So there must be another reason for the significant delays that some on the forum have reported. That, or all Chrysler Cares representatives have been given instructions from "up on high" to tell any inquiring customer that the status is D--regardless of what the system says at any given time. This, though, treads into uncomfortably conspiratorial territory for me. I just can't reconcile the "lack of parts" with the "total availability of parts" contradiction that we who have ordered PacHys are encountering.

Reactions: Oandtmaster
#32 ·
I don't think it was an order for 62k hybrids. More like "up to" rather than actual orders, and over an extended period of time.

#30 ·
If any of you on the forum would care to explain how you'd go about delivering 62,000 PacHys ALL AT ONCE, I'd be most interested to know!

Hmm, let's see, the only specific part that was mentioned as not being available is the sunroof. Waymo PacHys have no sunroof due to having a big ugly self-driving dome installed on top of the roof. Co-incidence??

#33 ·
Waymo built a new factory to convert HyPacs in Detroit. So I'm sure they can take the capacity. Also, I like to browse my local dealer stocks and even for GasPacs, inventory is way way down. I wonder what's really going on.

#35 ·
in my case that's what happened; D status and VIN arrived together. It seems that the process is that Chrysler doesn't commit to assigning a VIN until BG (Passed edit n/a for schedule), BX (Passed edit available for schedule) and C (Sub firm - Tentative schedule) have been completed.

There was a thread where @Gohawks1224 posted the full code listing, I'll attach below.

Pacifica Build Codes

#43 · (Edited)
You guys have these links? Its been 2 years since Waiting for my order but the still work for my vehicle

Cut and paste them with your own 17digit VIN once it’s available to follow the progress.

• Build sheet comes online after its assembled.
https://www.chrysler.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin= [Insert full VIN here without brackets]

• Window sticker check is posted once the vehicle is ready to ship - KZ status apparently.
https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin= [Insert full VIN here without brackets]
  • I’m Canadian and this wasnt valid or even what came with the vehicle. It was issued way before the real one, so it didnt function in parallel with the USA site above for my vehicle. If your Canadian - use the American link, But its there if its of interest.
http://ccdw.chryslercanada.ca/windowstickerca/getWindowStickerPdf.do?language=en&vin= [Insert full VIN here without brackets]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.