2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all: I am trying to install OEM trailer hitch receiver (without the wiring harness). This requires that I remove the rear bumper cover. I manager to detach the clips on the sides but I am unable to remove the bumper cover from the back (under the lift-gate). Are there any hidden clips that I need to dislodge? Does anyone have pictures or instructions.

Thanks a bunch!
RBI

·
Registered
47 Posts
I did this on the 2018 PacHy. Here is a post I made about this with links to the instructions:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the link. I am following the factory instructions but as you mentioned, they are pretty basic and do not capture the all the details. As for the bumper cover...I managed to pull it out with some force. As per your original post: "The cover seemed stuck at the upper edge just below the rubber gasket of the trunk. You really just have to pull it out. Takes some force."

Now I am stuck at step 27 trying to remove the lower valance. I bought trim removal kit from auto parts store, but just can't figure out how to pop those tabs to remove the black plastic pice. By the way, I have Pacifica Limited.

·
Super Moderator
589 Posts
According to the instruction you just drill them out - I'm assuming they are black plastic rivets if they are you might be able to just the center out with a punch then use the trim tool to remove it but I'd probably just drill it because its not like you can reuse them. It says max size drill 5mm or 3/16th

Thanks for the link. I am following the factory instructions but as you mentioned, they are pretty basic and do not capture the all the details. As for the bumper cover...I managed to pull it out with some force. As per your original post: "The cover seemed stuck at the upper edge just below the rubber gasket of the trunk. You really just have to pull it out. Takes some force."

Now I am stuck at step 27 trying to remove the lower valance. I bought trim removal kit from auto parts store, but just can't figure out how to pop those tabs to remove the black plastic pice. By the way, I have Pacifica Limited.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I did drill out the two rivets at each end. But I still have Buch of tongue style clips on the black plastic valence that go in the holes of the painted bumper cover. So far, I have not been able to remove these. I will give it a try again today.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Properly you can remove it just remember to remember where everything goes in return and clips and brackets were only meant for installation as when they remove get weaker or break . The centre valence is easy to change out just remember to get the pieces and hitch side cover . Just take your time and remember to lay a sheet/ blanket on ground for fascia to rest on .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks, I did drill out the two rivets at each end. But I still have Buch of tongue style clips on the black plastic valence that go in the holes of the painted bumper cover. So far, I have not been able to remove these. I will give it a try again today.
I want to say I just pushed them out and the wanted to snap back into place, but it's been to long that I really remember. Maybe share some pictures of the clips to help me remember.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I finally managed to remove rear valance and installed the new one. It took a long time to remove the painted trim piece and the valance.

I installed the dual kick sensors compatible with the tow-hitch but, the bumper cover was really hard put on. After a lot of struggle I managed to put it on only to discover that the bottom lip no longer aligned with the screw holes. It appears either the kick sensors bulk or hitch is interfering with proper install of the bumper cover.

Does anyone have experience installing OEM tow hitch with kick sensors?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts