2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
There are quite a number of threads / posts on this forum regarding these hub locks. I believe there was even a recent one showing how to break a hub lock if the key was missing as the normal method won’t work as the lock just spins with nothing to get a wrench on. In 2017 these hub locks even though they show on the window sticker we’re never installed at the factory. Some dealers opened the plain white package contains the locks and key and installed them. Other dealers just placed the white package in the back of the van. I decided to just discard the locks on my first tire rotation because I thought it was more likely the locks would give me more trouble down the road and the likelihood of my wheels being stolen was remote. McGuard told me the locks were only made to be used under a hubcap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have to believe a competent, busy tire shop would know how to get locking nuts off without a key, and without destroying the wheel in the process.
I would have expected you would need new lugs pressed in, but not new wheels, and not an exorbitant labor charge.
Yes, I agree a competent tire shop would most likely have been able to remove most wheel locks using likely a specialized tool.
In the past with regular wheel locks my local experienced mechanic used an appropriate sized socket hammered on tight enough for them to remove the wheel lock.

In addition, what I know is that their employees depending on experience may not know how to handle some situations.
One example was a tire on my then new 2019 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Plus (about one month old) I got a nail in my rear driver side tire. They (dealership where I bought my Pacifica) wanted to charge me $29 plus tax (IIRC) to plug up the tire. Well they tried this two to three times, but each time I drove away it was leaking not soon afterwards. After the last time they told me the hole was too big, and they couldn't fix it. To lessen the blow they gave me like a few dollars refund. I contacted a Mavis Discount Tire to schedule an appointment after ordering through Tire Rack and exact replacement 235/60R-18 NEXEN N PRIZ RH7A SL. It's amazing how hard it was to find this tire. Tire Rack shipped it to Mavis and I had them replace the so called defective tire. After it was done I asked the manager to see if they could plug the old relatively new original tire. They easily plugged the tire, and it's sitting my my basement rack as a spare with barely 250 miles on it.

My MacGyver eyes would say that a possible solution would be to weld the collar to the locking lug and then use a socket hammered on to remove the lock without or with little damage to the tire. But that is said with a word of caution and grain of salt.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Touring S(gas), Ceramic Gray, Black-out accents, sharp!
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Is there a picture of the "factory wheel locks" here @2021 Sport Pac Guy ?

The locks are installed by the dealer & should look like this:

Now if you didn't have those style locks on your van, you need to be going back to (and also blaming) your original selling dealer asking why they didn't install the MOPAR locks.
I hear what you're saying... but those locks above are not the locks on the 2021 and 2022 Pacifica, Gas, Touring (may be other models, but at least this yr/model combination I know as mine, and ever one I've see are the open ended, high-security McGard lock that is causing my issue). The ones I'm speaking to have an outside collar that spins free, specifically designed to eliminate the special dig-in socket-like tools that bite into and ruin, but at least remove, locks where there is no key. It MIGHT also be a specific trim line, mine was an "S" package that upgraded whatever regular factory/standard wheels to very large 20", again, 'maybe' that is the only trim-line these specific McGard whell locks were installed on. I specifically remember seeing them on the Pacs when I was shopping, and seeing them on mine, and wondering if this is some new design as I too am used to seeing the ones like you pictured. In any event, I snapped this pic of the only 2 left from my vehicle, the others were dest Wood Gas Tin Cylinder Household hardware
royed (along with my wheels) at this dealer trip to remove those 2 seized ones.

·
Registered
2021 Hybrid Limited "S"
341 Posts
I hear what you're saying... but those locks above are not the locks on the 2021 and 2022 Pacifica, Gas, Touring (may be other models, but at least this yr/model combination I know as mine, and ever one I've see are the open ended, high-security McGard lock that is causing my issue). The ones I'm speaking to have an outside collar that spins free, specifically designed to eliminate the special dig-in socket-like tools that bite into and ruin, but at least remove, locks where there is no key. It MIGHT also be a specific trim line, mine was an "S" package that upgraded whatever regular factory/standard wheels to very large 20", again, 'maybe' that is the only trim-line these specific McGard whell locks were installed on. I specifically remember seeing them on the Pacs when I was shopping, and seeing them on mine, and wondering if this is some new design as I too am used to seeing the ones like you pictured. In any event, I snapped this pic of the only 2 left from my vehicle, the others were dest View attachment 51174 royed (along with my wheels) at this dealer trip to remove those 2 seized ones.
Okay, follow up question......was the (white) Mopar package in the car?
If it was a good dealer, they would've put the original lug nuts in that Mopar package and put it in the glove box -- in case you didn't want the locks.

We had 2x 2021 Pacificas, mine a S line, and they both had the Mopar wheel locks in the picture I posted above.
Both cars purchased from two different dealers too.

I'm 99.99% sure you had aftermarket locks put on your car and not the "authentic" Mopar ones.

·
Registered
499 Posts
When I worked at a tire store in college, 45 years ago, locking lug nuts were called "puzzle locks." There were several different patterns. We didn't have the masters for all of them, but we did for several. The owner of the shop was adamant about brushing a small amount of anti-sieze compound on the lug threads to prevent the lugnuts from rusting or galling in place. He was really insistent when puzzle locks were involved because they were miserably difficult to remove when they got stuck or over-torqued. We also were told to use the torque wrench he had for that purpose when installing the wheels.

It's important to be careful not to over-torque, even with a torque wrench, when anti-sieze compound is used on the threads. It's a good lubricant and makes over-torquing easy.
What do you recommend doing to not over-torque lubricated threads? The torque specs for lug nuts are based on lubricant free, dry threads to provide the proper amount of clamping force and load on the studs. What torque value did you use for lubricated threads and how was this value determined?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Okay, follow up question......was the (white) Mopar package in the car?
If it was a good dealer, they would've put the original lug nuts in that Mopar package and put it in the glove box -- in case you didn't want the locks.

We had 2x 2021 Pacificas, mine a S line, and they both had the Mopar wheel locks in the picture I posted above.
Both cars purchased from two different dealers too.

I'm 99.99% sure you had aftermarket locks put on your car and not the "authentic" Mopar ones.
No package in the van at pick-up, no 'code' telling the wheel lock key code, no removed (if they were) factory non-locking lugs. Wonder, just following this line of thinking, did the factory window sticker on your Pacs state 'wheel locks', or where those dealer add-ons later?? My factory sticker listed the wheel locks (although it did not specify Mopar or these McGards). I did not order this van, this was a dealer lot item.

I have no idea why these open-stud ones were used (regardless if installed at the dealer or at factory) rather than the 'puzzle' ones we're all familiar with - but I do see these (mine) on a lot of late model Pacs... I am hoping to get some definitive answer, but at the end of the day, regardless of which ones and who put them on, they were done or used incorrectly by 'Chrysler' be that dealer rep or factory, and I want my van fixed, brought back to me at pre-damaged condition, at no cost to me. Again, we're talking still within 3 yr/36mo standard warranty.

I gave Chrysler a few business days to respond to my reasonable but determined, fair demands after this horrible event, and the ChryslerCares folks monitoring this site have responded they are researching and will have a response soon.

·
Registered
2021 Hybrid Limited "S"
341 Posts
No package in the van at pick-up, no 'code' telling the wheel lock key code, no removed (if they were) factory non-locking lugs. Wonder, just following this line of thinking, did the factory window sticker on your Pacs state 'wheel locks', or where those dealer add-ons later?? My factory sticker listed the wheel locks (although it did not specify Mopar or these McGards). I did not order this van, this was a dealer lot item.

I have no idea why these open-stud ones were used (regardless if installed at the dealer or at factory) rather than the 'puzzle' ones we're all familiar with - but I do see these (mine) on a lot of late model Pacs... I am hoping to get some definitive answer, but at the end of the day, regardless of which ones and who put them on, they were done or used incorrectly by 'Chrysler' be that dealer rep or factory, and I want my van fixed, brought back to me at pre-damaged condition, at no cost to me. Again, we're talking still within 3 yr/36mo standard warranty.

I gave Chrysler a few business days to respond to my reasonable but determined, fair demands after this horrible event, and the ChryslerCares folks monitoring this site have responded they are researching and will have a response soon.
Keep us posted with what happens!
But yeah....I would certainly hope that they would be at least fixing/replacing the damaged wheel and not charging you.

·
Registered
'21 PACHY Touring
29 Posts
my '21 came with the "White package" locks. They were taken off in the first week, put in the package and tossed aside.. I've been burned too many times by locking lugs.. I don't think anyone wants to steal crummy factory wheels off a minivan. It isn't some exotic sports car :p

·
Registered
92 Posts
Alloy wheels were a pricy option in the 1980s. Most people did not order their cars with alloy wheels because of the expense. So if you did have alloy wheels, there was a sizable market for those stolen wheels.
The wheels on my 1982 Camaro were targeted, but the alarm went off before they could make off with them. (I had the latest in alarms, with a mercury switch motion detector. When they jacked up the car it set off the alarm).

But since almost all Pacificas come with alloy wheels, and the demographic of Pacifica owners does not generally include shady characters buying stolen goods, there is hardly a market for the wheels. I never worry about my wheels.

Now, gasoline—that’s another story.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
News flash... Update, after almost 2 weeks of silence awaiting my reimbursement demand, I just got the sheepish e-mail denial... Chrysler is blaming this on me, stating, and I quote:
"the vehicle should have tire rotations during the oil change. This caused the wheel to lock."

They have officially begun what will now be a public relations and legal battle.

To anyone within ear-shot of thinking of purchasing a Chrysler product... stop for a moment, and consider if you were in the same shoes as I, the same situation.

Anyone care to ask me what I think of my Pacifica purchase experience?

·
Registered
2021 Hybrid Limited "S"
341 Posts
Did Chrysler confirm that those were OEM wheel locks btw?

I'd start with that

Because if not, the dealer is not following the proper guidelines and installing Mopar locks.
The dealer could be buying/installing cheaper locks to save a few bucks

21 - 32 of 32 Posts