2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Touring L
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed the 2021 OEM led headlights bulbs into an 2017-2020 Pacifica?
I drove a 2021 at night and the difference is HUGE as compared to my 2018 Touring L.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Has anyone installed the 2021 OEM led headlights bulbs into an 2017-2020 Pacifica?
I drove a 2021 at night and the difference is HUGE as compared to my 2018 Touring L.
The 2021 doesn't use a bulb, it's the whole LED housing. It's going to be expensive to buy all the parts for the front end plus I'm not sure if the wiring is the same on the 21s.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
1,025 Posts
No. It's impossible to do so as the LEDs are built into the newer housing and the housings are a different shape than those used in older models. You can improve night visibility on your 2018 Touring L by adjusting the headlamps up. They're simply aimed too low at the factory so the projector isn't shooting the light far enough in front of the vehicle. Changing the bulbs doesn't help much if the projectors aren't directing the light to where it needs to be.

I adjusted our headlights up three whole turns clockwise a few months ago and it made a huge difference. We haven't been flashed by anyone yet so it's probably not blinding oncoming traffic either. I highly recommend trying this. You can always adjust them again if you don't like the results. All you need is a 7mm hex socket or a T20 torx driver to adjust the blue screws. Clockwise is up and counter-clockwise is down.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Sorry but adjusting the lights isn’t going to give you the dimensional brightness that the led gives you . Simply adjusting the bulbs footprint does not make up the lights less being intense . A halogen bulb doesn’t show a brighter “ throw “ and casts a lesser field or a less “ wider “ pattern . So simply adjusting the field of adjustment from the factory is really useless .

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Sorry but adjusting the lights isn’t going to give you the dimensional brightness that the led gives you . Simply adjusting the bulbs footprint does not make up the lights less being intense . A halogen bulb doesn’t show a brighter “ throw “ and casts a lesser field or a less “ wider “ pattern . So simply adjusting the field of adjustment from the factory is really useless .
I can assure you that adjusting the headlamps upward results in a huge improvement with the projector beams. Any argument to the contrary is just plain wrong. The projectors [in conjunction with the vertical adjustment of the headlamp assemblies] on the Pacifica determine what those throw/field/pattern characteristics are, not the bulb itself. The closer to the front of the vehicle the projectors are aimed, the smaller the illuminated area is. The halogen bulbs actually do provide sufficient light/brightness IMO. The issue is that the projectors aren't directing the light far enough in front of the vehicle because the vertical alignment of the headlamps is set too far downward from the factory. This has a direct detrimental affect on the observed throw/field/pattern. A good analogy would be the difference between pointing a flashlight down at the ground right in front of your feet and pointing it more forward like you normally would when walking at night.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I can assure you that adjusting the headlamps upward results in a huge improvement with the projector beams. Any argument to the contrary is just plain wrong. The projectors [in conjunction with the vertical adjustment of the headlamp assemblies] on the Pacifica determine what those throw/field/pattern characteristics are, not the bulb itself. The closer to the front of the vehicle the projectors are aimed, the smaller the illuminated area is. The halogen bulbs actually do provide sufficient light/brightness IMO. The issue is that the projectors aren't directing the light far enough in front of the vehicle because the vertical alignment of the headlamps is set too far downward from the factory. This has a direct detrimental affect on the observed throw/field/pattern. A good analogy would be the difference between pointing a flashlight down at the ground right in front of your feet and pointing it more forward like you normally would when walking at night.
The vertical from the factory is there for a reason , it’s not hard to understand that light projection and set up is done for various reasons. But let’s not interject that halogen has the same immittance as a led or hid bulb . So to bring light “ quality “ in the conversation is just plain ridiculous. The government now rates star ratings because of light superiority or lack of there also . By adjusting the headlight up you also lose the ability to drive to what’s in front of you , your now driving to whats way in front of you . Driving like this is only a accident waiting to happen in fog , heavy rain and snow . The settings from factory are calibrated for a reason .

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The vertical from the factory is there for a reason , it’s not hard to understand that light projection and set up is done for various reasons. But let’s not interject that halogen has the same immittance as a led or hid bulb . So to bring light “ quality “ in the conversation is just plain ridiculous. The government now rates star ratings because of light superiority or lack of there also . By adjusting the headlight up you also lose the ability to drive to what’s in front of you , your now driving to whats way in front of you . Driving like this is only a accident waiting to happen in fog , heavy rain and snow . The settings from factory are calibrated for a reason .
Hogwash. I'm not sure what you're getting at here, but I'm definitely sure that the night vision in our van was significantly improved by adjusting the headlamps higher. I don't need to convince you or anybody else of that. I can see it with my own eyes, and that's all that matters. I'm done here.

Reactions: Bpraim

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Does a Touring L have HIDs?

I have adjusted the headlights up in several cars I've owned and it absolutely can make a difference. In a lot of vehicles with HIDs, especially those without leveling systems (like the Pacifica) the lights are positioned low to avoid blinding drivers and can be much improved by adjusting them upwards.

Reactions: freddief73

·
Administrator
2,333 Posts
No. It's impossible to do so as the LEDs are built into the newer housing and the housings are a different shape than those used in older models. You can improve night visibility on your 2018 Touring L by adjusting the headlamps up. They're simply aimed too low at the factory so the projector isn't shooting the light far enough in front of the vehicle. Changing the bulbs doesn't help much if the projectors aren't directing the light to where it needs to be.

I adjusted our headlights up three whole turns clockwise a few months ago and it made a huge difference. We haven't been flashed by anyone yet so it's probably not blinding oncoming traffic either. I highly recommend trying this. You can always adjust them again if you don't like the results. All you need is a 7mm hex socket or a T20 torx driver to adjust the blue screws. Clockwise is up and counter-clockwise is down.
Sorry, I don't think you know what you're doing. If you did, your post would be along these lines: " After consulting the service manual I made a headlight aiming pattern and parked my van in front of it, properly positioned and balanced. My measurements indicated that the right beam was 50mm too low and the left beam was 60mm low. Maybe the assembly plant worker had a hangover from the prior night party". What you are saying boils down to "The engineers who constructed and calibrated the aiming stand at the factory are morons, so the vans are rolling out with misaligned headlights year after year. I raised the beams by some random amount, and it must be perfect because no one is flashing me".

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Sorry, I don't think you know what you're doing. If you did, your post would be along these lines: " After consulting the service manual I made a headlight aiming pattern and parked my van in front of it, properly positioned and balanced. My measurements indicated that the right beam was 50mm too low and the left beam was 60mm low. Maybe the assembly plant worker had a hangover from the prior night party". What you are saying boils down to "The engineers who constructed and calibrated the aiming stand at the factory are morons, so the vans are rolling out with misaligned headlights year after year. I raised the beams by some random amount, and it must be perfect because no one is flashing me".
You guys are being totally unfair to this guy. Its absolutely true that aiming the headlights a little higher than factory can improve visibility without blinding people. When you raise each light by the same number of turns the factory aiming remains in place, just a little bit higher.

If he took it to the dealer and asked them to aim the headlights a little higher, they would have done exactly what he did.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Does a Touring L have HIDs?

I have adjusted the headlights up in several cars I've owned and it absolutely can make a difference. In a lot of vehicles with HIDs, especially those without leveling systems (like the Pacifica) the lights are positioned low to avoid blinding drivers and can be much improved by adjusting them upwards.
No, the 2018 Touring L has halogen projectors.

Btw, not all headlights come from the factory are perfectly aligned. I did have to adjust a couple.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've seen people give a facelift to Ford F-150's. If the hood and fenders are the same you could buy the entire front end and make it work.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I've seen people give a facelift to Ford F-150's. If the hood and fenders are the same you could buy the entire front end and make it work.
I thought of this too, but I'm certain the power source for the LEDs is regulated by a computer so this probably wouldn't be a viable solution.

·
Administrator
2,333 Posts
Btw, not all headlights come from the factory are perfectly aligned. I did have to adjust a couple.
Some cars could have misaligned headlights, but not many, let alone all. Only extremely gross cases may be judged by glancing at the light patterns on the road. All verifications and adjustments need to be done using the template, which is not that hard.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Well, sometimes you don't have the resources necessary to do things the right way and need to improvise. I didn't just raise them by some random amount and call it a day (or night in this case). It took some trial and error. I purposefully adjusted them incrementally by a predetermined amount until I saw the results I was after. This way I could always set them back to the factory setting if I needed to. You all are talking like I might just as well have pointed them upward into nothingness and am driving the van like this. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
2,333 Posts
It is not like you can't aim your headlights without expensive tools. All you need is a level surface, wall, masking tape and a tape measure.
Low beams are called "low" for a reason. They compromise between illuminating your path and not blinding the oncoming traffic. It is worth mentioning that the DOT standards are antiquated and our headlights are inferior to European, we also don't have the automatic leveling mandatory over there.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I'm surprised no one recommended using the high beams to see down the road further, the low beams are not meant to shine into the next county, no matter what type of light emitter is used! :alien:
Its not the same thing. If you drive in a populated area, you can hardly ever use the high beams. But, you can adjust the headlights slightly higher and get better lighting on low beam without blinding oncoming drivers.

My Pacifica seems fine, but I have had several cars with headlights that were lower than they needed to be from the factory and raising them slightly made the lighting much better

Pre-refresh headlights are rated quite poorly in the Pacifica so I understand the need.

·
Registered
2021 Touring L
5 Posts
Its not the same thing. If you drive in a populated area, you can hardly ever use the high beams. But, you can adjust the headlights slightly higher and get better lighting on low beam without blinding oncoming drivers.

My Pacifica seems fine, but I have had several cars with headlights that were lower than they needed to be from the factory and raising them slightly made the lighting much better

Pre-refresh headlights are rated quite poorly in the Pacifica so I understand the need.
After working over 40 years in an assembly plant and several dealerships I can assure you the manufacturers spend a lot of money finding the optimal setting for new vehicle headlights.
Vehicle loading can affect this, especially in trucks, but overall the factory settings are the best.
Adjusting your headlights upward, without really knowing what you're doing, is strongly advised against by the manufacturers and law enforcement and may lead to fines.
Too many people try to make the low beams higher thereby making the high beams useless.
Have your lights professionally adjusted, it's better for you and those you meet on the road at night.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts