2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited with Safety Sphere option.
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, We just joined the Pachy family and love all the features and technology in our 2021 Limited. Of all the cars we have had..Chevy Volt, Traverse, a number of Toyotas including the Highlander and an Acura MDX our Pachy Limited seems the best equipped and more luxurious. The one peeve we have so far is that the tailgate opens too high and hits the garage door, is there a way to limit the height it opens to?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I don't know if it was added to the 2021, but all ealier models did not have that feature.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,235 Posts
Hi, We just joined the Pachy family and love all the features and technology in our 2021 Limited. Of all the cars we have had..Chevy Volt, Traverse, a number of Toyotas including the Highlander and an Acura MDX our Pachy Limited seems the best equipped and more luxurious. The one peeve we have so far is that the tailgate opens too high and hits the garage door, is there a way to limit the height it opens to?
Welcome to the forum.

Not sure about the 2021, but the way I limit the height of the tailgate while opening on my 2017 is to reach up, gab the inside handle, and slow it down with my hand before it touches the garage door opening. Not automatic, but you can stop the liftgate by hand if needed.

You can download more extensive owner's manuals from the Mopar website if desired.

If you put your van info in the signature line of account settings it will show up at the bottom of your posts and will help us answer your questions easier in the future. Build date is on the edge of the driver's door.

·
Registered
2020 Gas Granite AWD Launch Edition
151 Posts
If the tailgate opens any lower a lot of people are going to smash their faces on it ,
That's not the point of Mathew's question!
He's asking if there's a feature to limit the opening height.

There's a "custom height limit function" that many MANY other similar vehicles have had for years. I agree it's weird that the refreshed Pac wouldn't have it.
In fact, I'm surprised the 2017 didn't have it. It was such a hi-tech rig... and this "adjustable liftgate height feature" has been around longer than that.

Reactions: PMinivan and Tsuter

·
Registered
151 Posts
I know that , I’m just saying because of the design of it any less height is 6 foot plus guys would smash faces on it
Oh... gotcha.

But it's still a worthwhile feature, cause the tall guy (like me) who uses it... will set it for a certain reason... and will remember it's "set low" for a THAT reason.

If it's a permanent reason, like for a low garage door... I'll eventually remember to "duck" (after I smash my face into it a couple times :)

And if I set it that way temporarily, cause I have a LONG windsurfer (paddleboard, canoe, lumber) on the roof... and I don't want the lift-gate to hit the long load when I raise it... this is a very helpful feature... and again, I'll know my windsurfer is on the roof, so I won't smash my face into the lift-gate (too many times before I start remembering :)

Besides those reasons... it's already too low for guy's 6'6" and taller. You can't please everyone all the time... tall guy learn to "duck" after a few face smashes!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Maybe put a cushion or Bumper on your garage door . Looks like you could get quite
few boards inside up to 10 ft down the middle. Most High performance sail boards these
days are well under 8 foot 5 most around 7 foot 5 and under. What they call surfboards now
are belly boards with fins.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Is your garage door limit set high enough? The limit on mine was a little lower so I set it higher and it doesn't hit the garage door anymore.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Maybe put a cushion or Bumper on your garage door . Looks like you could get quite
few boards inside up to 10 ft down the middle. Most High performance sail boards these
days are well under 8 foot 5 most around 7 foot 5 and under. What they call surfboards now
are belly boards with fins.
Yeah my garage door is tall enough, it's Mathew asking about height issues.

And regarding high performance windsurfers - yes high wind models are short and will fit inside. But you also mention fitting boards up to 10' long inside, and that won't be easy till I remove the center console.
And I'll be able to do that, with the model I bought. Not easy, but do-able.

However what a hassle with the bigger, fancier consoles - pretty much not removable. (Some people want the utmost in practical utility, for their van. So if you want room for long cargo, those models aren't it.)

And regarding high performance windsurfers for low wind... they are often between 12-13' long. So generally roof-top mounted.
I also have boards for teaching, which come in different sizes.
20190525_101213001.jpeg

·
Registered
2020 Chrysler Pacifica Limited
126 Posts
Maybe put a cushion or Bumper on your garage door .
That's what I ended up doing. After I switched from the OEM wheels to Dodge Durango R/T wheels with 255/50/20 tires our van is approximately a half inch taller than it was with the OEM 18" wheel and tire combo. The height difference is mainly due to the taller tires. So now it barely touches the bottom of the garage door when the rear is open. Size 255/45/20 tires would have made the new wheel/tire combo closer to the OEM 18" wheel/tire combo height. If there was a way to limit how far open the rear tailgate opens I would certainly adjust mine down some.

BTW our tailgate did not hit the garage door with the OEM wheels and tires so the half inch made the difference in our situation. Therefore, the tailgate was already very close to our garage door at the OEM ride height.

·
Registered
246 Posts
As others have posted, the earlier models didn’t offer it, and I’m with you, it pisses me off that they don’t. Such a simple addition and likely only a few lines of code in the computer. But alas, we ended up putting a pool noodle on the bottom of our door to keep it from damaging the gate. Not what you want to hear on a 40k vehicle that should have a feature that I’ve had on cars built over a decade ago... rant over...
Until then, zip ties and a pool noodle is my suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
145 Posts
As others have posted, the earlier models didn’t offer it, and I’m with you, it pisses me off that they don’t. Such a simple addition and likely only a few lines of code in the computer. But alas, we ended up putting a pool noodle on the bottom of our door to keep it from damaging the gate. Not what you want to hear on a 40k vehicle that should have a feature that I’ve had on cars built over a decade ago... rant over...
Until then, zip ties and a pool noodle is my suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably more than a few lines of code. You would have to at least have a position sensor to tell the motor when to stop.
My 2011 Chevy Equinox has this feature in it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Agree that this is something that should be offered on the Pacifica. Another instance of even though many vehicle offer power lift gates now, there are still differences in execution and offering. Most OEMs now allow for various preset heights (mostly GM I believe) and then some have more infinite adjustment where you can just hold the power button on the door at the height you want to set it too.

Add it to the quirks of FCA and the Pacifica, like the no auto brake hold even though we have an electronic parking brake and a full speed adaptive cruise control system.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
145 Posts
My 2011 Chevy Equinox there is a rotary knob to adjust the height of the tailgate and a push button to activate it. Similar to the radio on/off volume setup in the Pacifica.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts