2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Limited Hybrid
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to report that my '21 PacHy went completely bonkers in traffic last night in the most inconvenient of ways. I was making a k-turn on a moderately busy road, and while switching between forward and reverse it quit responding entirely with me exactly perpendicular to peak hours traffic. The Service Transmission and Service Hybrid messages came on, the blue light above the gear indicators were flashing, and it was impossible to shift into any gear, or to shut the vehicle off. Police were needed to direct traffic for more than an hour while we waited for a flat bed sent by Chrysler Cares. My hope was that we'd be able to disconnect the 12v battery which might reset things, but the driver did not have the right tools. As a result it needed to be dragged sideways to get in position to be loaded on the truck, and as we could not get it into neutral, it had to then be dragged with all 4 tires locked, then towed and left overnight still running. This caused some cosmetic damage and I am concerned about, but have not yet had time to inspect, the tires and other steering components.

As I expected, the dealer disconnected the 12v battery this morning and it came back to life. The service advisor says this is a known problem with the '21's and Chrysler is working on a fix.

While I've seen a number of other reports of similar shutdown behavior here, none have followed the same symptoms as what happened to me, and I want to make sure it is on the record. I have a case number with Chrysler already. As per my previous posts here, I'm pretty tolerant of most of the software bugs we've encountered so far but this is a serious safety issue - hard to believe Chrysler isn't being forced into taking this more seriously. I'm not sure if my wife will be willing to drive our new $50k family vehicle for some time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just wanted to report that my '21 PacHy went completely bonkers in traffic last night in the most inconvenient of ways. I was making a k-turn on a moderately busy road, and while switching between forward and reverse it quit responding entirely with me exactly perpendicular to peak hours traffic. The Service Transmission and Service Hybrid messages came on, the blue light above the gear indicators were flashing, and it was impossible to shift into any gear, or to shut the vehicle off. Police were needed to direct traffic for more than an hour while we waited for a flat bed sent by Chrysler Cares. My hope was that we'd be able to disconnect the 12v battery which might reset things, but the driver did not have the right tools. As a result it needed to be dragged sideways to get in position to be loaded on the truck, and as we could not get it into neutral, it had to then be dragged with all 4 tires locked, then towed and left overnight still running. This caused some cosmetic damage and I am concerned about, but have not yet had time to inspect, the tires and other steering components.

As I expected, the dealer disconnected the 12v battery this morning and it came back to life. The service advisor says this is a known problem with the '21's and Chrysler is working on a fix.

While I've seen a number of other reports of similar shutdown behavior here, none have followed the same symptoms as what happened to me, and I want to make sure it is on the record. I have a case number with Chrysler already. As per my previous posts here, I'm pretty tolerant of most of the software bugs we've encountered so far but this is a serious safety issue - hard to believe Chrysler isn't being forced into taking this more seriously. I'm not sure if my wife will be willing to drive our new $50k family vehicle for some time.
Wow sorry to hear about your issue. I hope that you didn’t have the kids in the car as that could be a dangerous situation. Curious if someone knows an easy fix for this in the event it happens to one of us. Ie. pull a fuse, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow sorry to hear about your issue. I hope that you didn’t have the kids in the car as that could be a dangerous situation. Curious if someone knows an easy fix for this in the event it happens to one of us. Ie. pull a fuse, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The fix, for now, is to disconnect the negative terminal of the 12v battery, wait a few seconds, and re-connect it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is crazy I am expecting delivery of my Pinnacle in a month and I have 2 kids if this were 2 happen while on the highway we would surely be in trouble how is this not an immediate recall? Are they waiting to be sued when a fatality happens?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Were the four updates for the hybrid system and PCM completed before this happened?

·
Registered
89 Posts

Were all connected in the Universe and bad things happen to good people sometimes that we never quite understand at the moment but this is how you'll get to the pearly gates and earn those wings in what doesn't kill you makes ya... Well you know..;).. Probably insensitive and bad timing with this comment at the moment but I see a lot of Issues with these hybrids more than anything else lately whether large or small, I think more years need to go by before we can put all our faith and hard earned money in them just yet considering what they cost. In my opinion I don't think they are refined quite enough yet and technology is still hard at work playing its tune.There are still bugs that need to be worked out which they really don't seem to be yet and can leave many people in a serious hardship situation and stranded most times far from home, and breaking down far from home is a nightmare in itself Iv'e heard complete horror stories. These are vans and people travel far from home regularly with all the kids and the elderly. I'm sure people will disagree and have great luck with their Hybrids and if you just bought one or have one chances are you'll be fine and that's great but I'm just going by what I see and just saying.. I'll stick with gas a awhile longer...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Were the four updates for the hybrid system and PCM completed before this happened?
It was in just last month to receive all updates, and I asked the service advisor to ensure it was still up to date today and he says they checked and all modules were up to date. I received the last batch including the tail gate time out and no-start after charging fixes last time.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I regretted getting a 2020 instead of a 2021. But the more I read about issues with the '21, it may have been a blessing in disguise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Since I had T&C 2008 Limited ,always hawing 10mm flat spanner inside the car... 80% malfunctions of american cars fixes battery dissconnection- my experience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts