2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Pinnacle - January 2021 build date
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Van 2 days ago had service charging system error come on

Car towed to dealership and just now getting answer on what needs to be repaired/replaced which is the power inverter module. No ETA yet on how long for part to arrive and when expected to be fixed - been pulling teeth trying to get communication on diagnosis from dealership.

Worried about this potential repair based on other threads I searched and whether I have a lemon on my hands.

@ChryslerCares - I have 2 children under age of 3 which is why we got the minivan. I have not been given a loaner and with this type of repair and how long the part can take to arrive want a loaner ASAP. How can you help get this done? Dealer the van is at is Airpark Chrysler in Scottsdale, AZ

8/27/2021 update - Chrysler has authorized a rental car reimbursement so will be getting a minivan from Enterprise on Tuesday morning

No parts have been ordered as diagnostics between dealership and Chrysler engineering still being worked through. Was told a STAR case was created for the issue on my van

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Does the vehicle run otherwise ? And sometimes you’ll get that display when plugging into a dedicated level 2 charger . Usually it will clear itself when the inverter kicks into charging or you remove the plug from the port and reconnect it again .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the vehicle run otherwise ? And sometimes you’ll get that display when plugging into a dedicated level 2 charger . Usually it will clear itself when the inverter kicks into charging or you remove the plug from the port and reconnect it again .
Nope. Was not able to run after that error. Only have a level 1 charger that we use.

Tried to plug and unplug multiple times. Been at dealership through diagnostics and conclusion was power inverter module needs to be replaced. Dealer is going to place part order tomorrow which needs to be approved/reviewed by Chrysler engineering

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Van would turn on but immediately give the error in the picture - service charging system. Shifter moveable but pedal would not generate any action in drive or reverse.

I had dealer do updates to the car last month for hybrid module (the open RRTs) so that might have helped car start, move the gears and get into neutral.

Dont recall with 100% certainty but believe PRNDL was flashing

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
8/30/2021 update - Chrysler engineers have approved ordering of the power inverter module which hopefully will ship tomorrow.

During the diagnostic process, 12 volt batteries were replaced as well which cleared a large amount of the error codes shown but not everything

Hoping new power inverter will fix the issues and will be able to get van back soon!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hybrids only have 1 12-volt battery.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Was more excited part got approved to be ordered
Hope everything gets fixed quickly and you are enjoying your vehicle again.

Reactions: Dhamp

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
8/30/2021 update - Chrysler engineers have approved ordering of the power inverter module which hopefully will ship tomorrow.

During the diagnostic process, 12 volt batteries were replaced as well which cleared a large amount of the error codes shown but not everything

Hoping new power inverter will fix the issues and will be able to get van back soon!
Please keep us updated on if this resolves your concerns.

Lamar
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Please keep us updated on if this resolves your concerns.

Lamar
Chrysler Cares
Thank you!

Concerns not resolved yet as van still in shop but much better as got rental minivan today which helps - not as nice as the pinnacle hybrid but much better vehicle to use in short term for my family

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
9/10/2021 update - got the van back last night! It’s running, charged to full overnight using level 1 charger and driving great this morning. Driving a 2020 limited gas model is not nearly as smooth or nice as the drive in the 2021 pinnacle hybrid

Service advisor mentioned that power inverter module seems to be a common repair that the tech has done a good amount of. Wonder if high defect rate on the part, something around the heat in the Phoenix area or combo of both

Overall decent experience with opening a case with Chrysler but hope car isn’t in the shop like
this again. Was able to get car rental paid for (was without a car for a week) and Chrysler included 3 years of oil changes and tire rotations to compensate for inconvenience of van being in the shop for almost 3 weeks

·
Registered
2021 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited S
42 Posts
9/10/2021 update - got the van back last night! It’s running, charged to full overnight using level 1 charger and driving great this morning. Driving a 2020 limited gas model is not nearly as smooth or nice as the drive in the 2021 pinnacle hybrid

Service advisor mentioned that power inverter module seems to be a common repair that the tech has done a good amount of. Wonder if high defect rate on the part, something around the heat in the Phoenix area or combo of both

Overall decent experience with opening a case with Chrysler but hope car isn’t in the shop like
this again. Was able to get car rental paid for (was without a car for a week) and Chrysler included 3 years of oil changes and tire rotations to compensate for inconvenience of van being in the shop for almost 3 weeks
Glad to hear you're up and running.

Over the last few weeks I've occasionally received the "Service Charging System" message myself where the check engine light will remain lit for a day or two and then inexplicably go out. I've seen the error after using my Level 1 (included) EVSE at home and perhaps once or twice while out and about and not on a charger. This is in addition to the occasional instance where I turn the van on after unplugging and "Ready" does not light up but the van appears to otherwise turn on. I know to just power off and back on to make it work. I've seen others post about that specifically but I've had it happen other times besides after just unplugging and turning on.

Should I be worried about any of this? I brought it to the dealership to get the liftgate issue fixed (received a letter) and they said there were FIVE software updates they needed to make to the van and that they'd need it all day. Wish I had known I needed all those updates when I made my original appointment so I could have planned things out better.

Perhaps some of these issues will be resolved via update? Anyone else aware of all these updates having occurred to their van? FWIW: mine has almost 7k miles after a back-and-forth trip to Florida from Ohio in May after acquiring it in late April so I'm close to needing an oil change too per the oil life reading.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad to hear you're up and running.

Over the last few weeks I've occasionally received the "Service Charging System" message myself where the check engine light will remain lit for a day or two and then inexplicably go out. I've seen the error after using my Level 1 (included) EVSE at home and perhaps once or twice while out and about and not on a charger. This is in addition to the occasional instance where I turn the van on after unplugging and "Ready" does not light up but the van appears to otherwise turn on. I know to just power off and back on to make it work. I've seen others post about that specifically but I've had it happen other times besides after just unplugging and turning on.

Should I be worried about any of this? I brought it to the dealership to get the liftgate issue fixed (received a letter) and they said there were FIVE software updates they needed to make to the van and that they'd need it all day. Wish I had known I needed all those updates when I made my original appointment so I could have planned things out better.

Perhaps some of these issues will be resolved via update? Anyone else aware of all these updates having occurred to their van? FWIW: mine has almost 7k miles after a back-and-forth trip to Florida from Ohio in May after acquiring it in late April so I'm close to needing an oil change too per the oil life reading.
I had the software updates done on the van prior to the service charging system issue. I didn’t have a check engine light come on for a long period of time at all before the issue that made van not able to run so seems to be some different fact pattern. The software updates are out there for a reason so probably not a bad idea to get them updated with the oil change that is coming due

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think you should be worried about this. I think it indicates a fault somewhere in the charging system, which is active both when you're plugged in and when you're not. I've had it show up when the van was sitting, not plugged in, and I made the mistake of opening the back door. Though I can't swear to it, I believe that there's a problem in the power module which is more likely to fail when the ambient temperature is high.

I REALLY hate the intermittent nature of the problem. It hasn't shut the van down on me...yet...but I'm not convinced that it won't either shut it down or cause some other more catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2021 PacHy Pinnacle, about 6 months old with 5600 miles and just saw this error for the first time today. Unplugged the Chrysler charger and drove my kids to school (few miles away downhill) and parked with battery still about 98%, normal routine. Came back pushed start and the "Service Charging System" message appeared. It would let me shift into drive and you could hear the hybrid pedestrian noise kick on, but it would flash with the message vehicle must be in P to drive and not move. I did the cycle through drive / accessory / off / open door / close door routine twice and it seemed to go back to the normal ready to drive state, I put it back in drive and I was able to drive home. The check engine light is still on, and I have not tried charging it again yet. I have had it at the dealership to fix a broken center console latch (received broken and took about 6 months to get the part) and they did run the patches and software updates.

Like everyone else it makes me very nervous that this failure can happen at any time and potentially leave me and my family stranded. The dealership I purchased the car from is about 30 miles away so not exactly convenient to stop by so I'll roll the dice and see if this happens again before I take it back for the first oil change.

·
Registered
2021 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited S
42 Posts
Eesh! I'm getting more concerned about the possibility of being stranded; especially with a two year old and five week old.

I'm 180 miles from the dealership where I purchased our van but I have two dealerships local to me that are each about 25 miles away. I'm dropping it off Monday morning so they can have it all day to do updates/patches and an oil change/rotation. I'll be sure to mention these occurrences and the concerns I have as I don't want to assume the updates will resolve them (apparently they didn't help you avoid this situation as you had the error today after already getting the updates).

I'm not technically due for an oil change but I'm close enough and just want to get all of this done in one visit.

FWIW: I also think I suffer from loud "FORM" which usually happens once I'm running on gas only or after sitting idle (again, gas only) for a little while. If this isn't FORM and it's something else then I'm even more lost. It's not a collection of noises you'd hear from a normal gas Pacifica and I get there are components associated with the electric engine that may be running during this process but the worst part is when it turns off: it takes a second or two and it sounds like it's dying with a subtle knocking sound and the van eventually goes silent because I'm back on battery for a little until I start driving again. I know there are threads on weird noises but for my own sake I wanted to append that tidbit to this post in case there is some relation.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
60 Posts
Eesh! I'm getting more concerned about the possibility of being stranded; especially with a two year old and five week old.
Honestly just stop reading the forums then! For a little perspective, the factory produces over 800 vans per day, and the vast vast vast majority will never have a problem. Any car could break down at any moment. That’s why roadside assistance exists. I have 3 kids under 5 so I understand. Never travel without snacks, a change of clothes, and a water bottle for them if they are old enough. Then any breakdown is just another adventure!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts