2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanting to get some feedback here. I have been in the auto business for 19 Years and I remember the Town & Country AWD.
It was short lived. There is a debate among me and my coworkers, Is the Pacifica good enough in the snow the way it is?
Is there much interest in the AWD and why?

What are some of your thoughts? Thanks for all positive feedback.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only Cover Your Chrysler Pacifica With A Factory Backed Chrysler Extended Warranty.
Buy Direct And Save Chrysler Factory Warranty - Your #1 Source for Extended Coverage for Chrysler Vehicles

·
Registered
704 Posts
Its not particularly good in the snow, the FWD one. Its a big heavy van, and it lights up the front tires in the rain from a stop very easily, in fact I would choose to drive my RWD Lexus in the snow vs the FWD Pacifica.

If I were buying a 2021 Pacifica, I would get the AWD for sure. Just going to improve the drivability of the van in all kinds of situations including the snow.

Another example, we rented a house in WV one time that had a steep gravel driveway. No way to get the FWD Pacifica up the driveway, we had to park it in the grass across the street and load all of our **** into my brother's SUV to get it up the driveway. AWD Pacifica it would have been no problem.

AWD all the way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not particularly good in the snow, the FWD one. Its a big heavy van, and it lights up the front tires in the rain from a stop very easily, in fact I would choose to drive my RWD Lexus in the snow vs the FWD Pacifica.

If I were buying a 2021 Pacifica, I would get the AWD for sure. Just going to improve the drivability of the van in all kinds of situations including the snow.

Another example, we rented a house in WV one time that had a steep gravel driveway. No way to get the FWD Pacifica up the driveway, we had to park it in the grass across the street and load all of our **** into my brother's SUV to get it up the driveway. AWD Pacifica it would have been no problem.

AWD all the way.
Good info. (y) (y) I have driven the Pacifica some but mostly in perfect driving conditions.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L (built 9/2017)
305 Posts
Just wanting to get some feedback here. I have been in the auto business for 19 Years and I remember the Town & Country AWD.
It was short lived. There is a debate among me and my coworkers, Is the Pacifica good enough in the snow the way it is?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only Cover Your Chrysler Pacifica With A Factory Backed Chrysler Extended Warranty.
Buy Direct And Save Chrysler Factory Warranty - Your #1 Source for Extended Coverage for Chrysler Vehicles
Yes, I think the Pacifica is great on snowy roads. BUT the tires ultimately determine how well the van gets around on them.

The OEM Nexens on our van (18" wheels) were garbage. They were terrible on dry pavement let alone snow covered roads. We were constantly spinning the tires with from a stop without even trying. We gritted our teeth, and cursed most of the way through our first winter with the Pacifica. I had a set of all-season Continental tires installed last fall before our second winter though. It completely changed the driving experience in all conditions. I'm sure snow tires would be even better, but I can't justify the cost of them for our situation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, I think the Pacifica is great on snowy roads. BUT the tires ultimately determine how well the van gets around on them.

The OEM Nexens on our van (18" wheels) were garbage. They were terrible on dry pavement let alone snow covered roads. We were constantly spinning the tires with from a stop without even trying. We gritted our teeth, and cursed most of the way through our first winter with the Pacifica. I had a set of all-season Continental tires installed last fall before our second winter though. It completely changed the driving experience in all conditions. I'm sure snow tires would be even better, but I can't justify the cost of them for our situation.
This is worrisome. I'd assume it will be even worse for the hybrid then, since its even heavier than the gas pacifica. Does it have better tires?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I wondered about this, I remember the Town and Country FWD doing so well in the snow and always had great reviews on the capability of it.
Sounds like they have built a spot for the AWD even if it is just bad tires.
I wonder if it will pull more buyers from the Suv market?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
FWD with good tires is okay in moderate snow. Nothing outside of studs (illegal in many areas) is good on iced or glazed surfaces. Good tires are the secret sauce.

AWD is not 4WD. 4WD allows all four wheels to try to power through deep snow or other poor or off-road conditions. It is of minimal use on a highway.

AWD is computer controlled to allow any wheel(s) with traction to propel the vehicle. That computer control is also used to mitigate skidding on any surface. It is certainly a safety asset on a wet or snowy highway. It might give you a leg up in deep snow, but don't depend on that. The Pacifica AWD is NOT and off-road vehicle.

Reactions: panoguy

·
Registered
2018 Limited | Velvet Red Pearl, Black/ Diesel| Build date 06/2018
61 Posts
I thought a lot of the push for AWD came from the Canadian market for obvious reasons. There aren't a ton of places in the US that have that much snow for that long of a time that would require an AWD Pacifica. But on the opposite side of the temperature spectrum, an AWD Pacifica would be great for the really rainy parts of the US like Florida, or really any place on the Gulf Coast. There is another thread talking about a Pacifica Lift kit, that to me makes the most sense if you're going to have AWD capabilities.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Yupp I drive mine here in 4 seasons and some blizzack a on factory 18 and keep the 20s for summer . The hybrid has lower center of gravity but have never had a issue with snow or rain . You just have to learn how to drive it and use eight tires for eight seasons . The oem tires would be ridiculous in snow and super cold winter . The awd is as you’d be surprised a great take because it drives as a regular Pacifica unless certain parameters are suspect . Todays awd for this pacifica isn’t like the awd vehicles of the 80-90 ( its awd on demand and fwd rest of the time ) . If you drive one you’ll know .

·
Registered
704 Posts
The issue is most people equate getting moving from a stop with being good in the snow. Thats why most people think FWD cars are better than RWD cars in the snow, and thats actually not the case. FWD cars have some very serious dynamic issues in low traction environments stemming from the fact that the drive wheels and steering wheels are the same. So, when you have a lack of drive traction, you loose directional control, and vice versa. A RWD car is harder to get started in the snow, but once underway doesnt have these dynamic limitations. If you take advanced driving training you'll experience these differences and once you do, you can't un-experience them and you won't trust FWD cars in the snow anymore.

As others have said, tires are key. Any car will be made much safer to drive in the snow on winter tires, FWD, RWD or AWD. However, for people who live in places like I live, winter tires don't make sense. By and large we have mild winters, and more days are over 45 than are below, and we have sporadic snow but we can have big snows. Climates like this are where AWD vehicles are really a huge benefit because they give you much better traction without winter tires.

A big heavy vehicle like the Pacifica in FWD, you come down a hill and try and turn, you're going to be in trouble. With AWD you can apply some throttle and regain control, with FWD you can't.

So, like I said, I would always choose the AWD version ofd any FWD vehicle if its available, and for the Pacifica no question. I had two AWD Lexus sedans and the one I have now is RWD, and while the AWD was much more sure footed, the RWD is very drivable with the skid and traction control.

Reactions: samcombs77

·
Registered
201 Posts
AWD extra cost is pretty much recouped at trade in time so I think its a good deal.

·
Registered
930 Posts
You can take all the electronics you want but without tires to move you abs and traction mean nothing . Turn of the electronics and with proper tires you’ll drive away from anything with vehicle assist and mediocre tires . Anybody who says factory tires are fine for winter is misinformed , tires from factory serve to help the vehicle feel dynamically and for fuel economy . Awd without proper tires is no different than 4x4 with proper tires . Unfortunate thing is people think that they have awd they are invincible . Learn to drive without the aids first , awd helps but in hands of a poor driver still makes them a poor driver .

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I'm not going to get the AWD version but I can see its merits. My daily is AWD and it fantastic for other reasons. But I will say that AWD only works when you have power to the wheels, if you're braking or coasting, its not any different from FWD. As Steve said, you need to drive them differently. I used to drive the first gen Subaru WRX and on their forum, lots of guys would crash because they thought AWD was some miracle system.

·
Registered
704 Posts
You can take all the electronics you want but without tires to move you abs and traction mean nothing . Turn of the electronics and with proper tires you’ll drive away from anything with vehicle assist and mediocre tires . Anybody who says factory tires are fine for winter is misinformed , tires from factory serve to help the vehicle feel dynamically and for fuel economy . Awd without proper tires is no different than 4x4 with proper tires . Unfortunate thing is people think that they have awd they are invincible . Learn to drive without the aids first , awd helps but in hands of a poor driver still makes them a poor driver .
You're looking at this from a Canadian point of view. You have a serious winter season where it gets cold and stays cold and you have consistent snow. Where you are, winter tires make total sense. Where I am, they don't make any sense. If its a bad winter we have winter weather 2 or 3 days an entire winter. The bulk of the winter can be dry, wet, and commonly over 45 degrees. The climate here just doesn't support the use of winter tires, you would be sacrificing traction on more days than they would be benefiting you. Thats why an AWD vehicle just makes a ton of sense here. You have very little drawbacks on normal days, and on wintery days you're better off than you would be with a 2WD vehicle.

People thinking AWD makes you invincible doesnt mean the system itself doesnt have merit. People do all kinds of crazy stuff.

·
Registered
55 Posts
“ People thinking AWD makes you invincible doesnt mean the system itself doesnt have merit. People do all kinds of crazy stuff.”

I grew up in Alaska where Dad was an Alaska State Trooper. I remember him telling us kids 4WD (back then we didn’t have AWD) doesn't mean 4 wheel stop. I go up to visit Mom, Dad and family every winter and always ensure I rent an AWD Charger as they are like a SnowCat on snow and ice...love the idea of renting an AWD Pacifica!

·
Registered
234 Posts

The FWD is plenty good in the snow, but you will want dedicated winter tires. As for the other three seasons, we went to a 9” wide wheel and tire set and that took care of the wet pavement tire slippage from a dead stop. But even without all that, no need for the AWD. Just keep the right tires for the conditions. This is in the metro Detroit area as well, so we have our far share of snow around here and no issues with the winter tires mounted. But AS tires may struggle a bit in the heaviest snow. Not worth the extra weight and complexity for 95% of people out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
704 Posts
“ People thinking AWD makes you invincible doesnt mean the system itself doesnt have merit. People do all kinds of crazy stuff.”

I grew up in Alaska where Dad was an Alaska State Trooper. It never him telling us kids 4WD (back then we didn’t have AWD) doesn't mean 4 wheel stop. I go up to visit Mom, Dad and family every winter and always ensure I rent an AWD Charger as they are like a SnowCat on snow and ice...love the idea of renting an AWD Pacifica!
Yup, you still have to stop, and turn. You'll see rental AWD Pacificas all over the place.

The FWD is plenty good in the snow, but you will want dedicated winter tires. As for the other three seasons, we went to a 9” wide wheel and tire set and that took care of the wet pavement tire slippage from a dead stop. But even without all that, no need for the AWD. Just keep the right tires for the conditions. This is in the metro Detroit area as well, so we have our far share of snow around here and no issues with the winter tires mounted. But AS tires may struggle a bit in the heaviest snow. Not worth the extra weight and complexity for 95% of people out there.
To me the true complexity is trying to manage having multiple sets of wheels and tires, when I can have a car that has a powertrain that largely negates the need for that. Larger wheels wouldn't get me up that gravel driveway. And if you had a FWD Pacifica on winter tires and an AWD Pacifica on winter tires, the AWD one would still be superior.

AWD in a family go everywhere vehicle like the Pacifica just makes a ton of sense. I don't see any drawbacks, save for potential repair issues with an AWD system which with Chrysler is a real concern. You don't NEED it, but theres no benefit to FWD vs AWD, it just makes the vehicle a better vehicle.

When comparing RWD to AWD there are benefits to RWD in terms of handling feel, but not when it comes to FWD where basically they're all negatives.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I object to having to get AWD with the Limited. I have never needed AWD in any of my vans. They always do just fine in the Midwest snow.
I really see it as another move towards making a van more SUV-like in the hopes of snagging more buyers. It works for SUVs I guess, I just never wanted it on a van.
John

·
Registered
930 Posts
I meant that some people feel that they can drive thru anything with either awd or 4wd. Awd doesn’t make one a better driver , heck sometimes it makes people dumber . And as far as Canada ....lol.....do you guys actually know anything about Canada winters . I think last year we had like 2 good snowfalls and that was it . Sure it’s cold and then it gets mild again , too funny .

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Plus
8 Posts
I have had no issue with snow and found the handling to be really good. I do use winter tires.
AWD may be nice for maybe the odd occasion but I wouldn’t pay extra to have it in the Pacifica.

Canadian Winters is a pretty general term for such a big country. Canadahybridguy is in Toronto and got 2 good snowfalls. I am in Ottawa, 5 hours away, and used the snowblower 19 times in December.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts