2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the 2021 Pacifica's come with the auto brake hold feature thats found on just about every new car nowadays? If so will it be trim specific?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I don't believe so

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
87 Posts
Is auto brake hold similar to the hill start assist?
Helps not to roll back on a hill. Then yes the Pacifica has Hill Start Assist.
I'm not sure if it is standard or an option. In my manual it does not say "If Equipped" so I'm thinking it is standard equipment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, those are 2 completely different technologies. Auto brake hold allows you to release the brake pedal and the car will apply pressure... until you hit the gas then you'll start moving again...for example at a stoplight, traffic, drive through, school drop off, etc., etc...its very useful.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
87 Posts
No, those are 2 completely different technologies. Auto brake hold allows you to release the brake pedal and the car will apply pressure... until you hit the gas then you'll start moving again...for example at a stoplight, traffic, drive through, school drop off, etc., etc...its very useful.
Sounds about the same to me but with a time limit. This is from my manual.

Hill Start Assist (HSA) The HSA system is designed to mitigate roll back from a complete stop while on an incline. If the driver releases the brake while stopped on an incline, HSA will continue to hold the brake pressure for a short period. If the driver does not apply the throttle before this time expires, the system will release brake pressure and the vehicle will roll down the hill as normal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trust me, they are completely different. There would be a hard button for this feature to enable/disable. Next time you're at a stop light let your foot off the brake after stopping fully and let me know what happens!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Wouldn't this "auto brake hold" be a natural result of the electronic start/stop feature that is on all gas models of the Pacifica since mid 2017? If the engine isn't running while waiting at a stoplight then there is no power available to move the car. I suppose it could roll if there was an incline, but since the transmission is not in neutral that should be minimal.

·
Registered
821 Posts
No, as Lightadjust said they are totally different features. I have brake hold on my Lexus and seriously miss it when I drive my Pacifica. Basically when its on it holds the brakes for you whenever the vehicle is stopped, and once you want to start moving you just put your foot on the gas and it releases the brakes.

If you have ESS on and you take your foot off the brake, the engine comes back on.

Reactions: Bond007

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is a very important thread and question for me as I have a foot injury on my right heel and rely on 'brake-hold' to hold the car in position at a traffic light or extended wait (like drive-thru line).

I was assuming all along that brake-hold was offered as part of the Advanced Safety Tec package? (which was optional pre 2020 and standard 2020+). Is this not the case?

If brake-hold is not offered, that would take the Pacifica off my shopping list immediately.

·
Registered
821 Posts
The 2017-2020 Pacifica absolutely does not offer a brake hold feature. My 2017 had every option but HK audio and trailer tow, and my 2020 has every available option. I cant say for sure about the 2021, but my guess is no.

The Honda Odyssey does have this feature as will the new Sienna.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Brake Hold button on the Odyssey:

Brake Hold button on the Sienna:

2021 Pacifica Console, I see no button

Brake Hold button on my Lexus, where its on the steering wheel:

Its possible to have it with no button, the Mercedes S Class has no button, you just step down on the brake pedal when stopped and it holds, kind of like a golf cart. I dont think the 2021 Pacifica has this though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's an odd omission for the Pacifica, as it has the electronic parking brake, and it has the full speed adaptive cruise control that can hold the vehicle at a stop in traffic, but they don't have the optionality to have the auto brake hold for normal driving. Seems like it should just a be a software element that could be programmed. More FCA quirks

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's an odd omission for the Pacifica, as it has the electronic parking brake, and it has the full speed adaptive cruise control that can hold the vehicle at a stop in traffic, but they don't have the optionality to have the auto brake hold for normal driving. Seems like it should just a be a software element that could be programmed. More FCA quirks
That was my assumption as well!

I have an Odyssey now with the Brake-hold feature but was considering the 2021 Pacifica Hybrid but now it's completely off my list. (unless brake hold is somewhere deep in the screen menu)

·
Registered
42 Posts
That was my assumption as well!

I have an Odyssey now with the Brake-hold feature but was considering the 2021 Pacifica Hybrid but now it's completely off my list. (unless brake hold is somewhere deep in the screen menu)
My dislike of the Odyssey hold is that I had to turn it on every time I got in the car.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Every car I have ever driven with brake hold requires it be turned on every time you get in the car. Mercedes requires it be set with the brake pedal push every stop.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I have it on one of my other cars, and its frustrating when trying to creep into the garage, so I just turn it off.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I always turn it off when I'm pulling into the garage too. But, most of my driving isnt creeping into the garage lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
Every car I have ever driven with brake hold requires it be turned on every time you get in the car. Mercedes requires it be set with the brake pedal push every stop.
I thought our 19 X5 kept it active. I like the Mercedes system best actually.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I thought our 19 X5 kept it active. I like the Mercedes system best actually.
No its the same way. I am shopping for a BMW 750 and actually just drove one tonight, and it has to be turned back on when you restart

Reactions: Bond007

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Dumb question but what purpose does it serve . Because if I’m sitting there with car on and engage brake hold I’m technically compressing the brakes to allow the car not to drive forward . So only way to disengage brake hold is to accelerate or ? . Because when you look at liability , brake hold or not if it disengages for whatever reason your screwed . If I’m sitting in traffic, etc put it in park . Sorry but I have to say this feature is kind of dumb and has zero selling feature .compressing the brake and failure of the system would leave you with zero movement and just another feature to go wrong and people to bitch at .

1 - 20 of 60 Posts