2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Dumb question but what purpose does it serve . Because if I’m sitting there with car on and engage brake hold I’m technically compressing the brakes to allow the car not to drive forward . So only way to disengage brake hold is to accelerate or ? . Because when you look at liability , brake hold or not if it disengages for whatever reason your screwed . If I’m sitting in traffic, etc put it in park . Sorry but I have to say this feature is kind of dumb and has zero selling feature .compressing the brake and failure of the system would leave you with zero movement and just another feature to go wrong and people to bitch at .
You can say that for any technology. Is dynamic cruise dumb because you could just drive it yourself and what if it fails and you're screwed?

You just don't realize how nice it is not to have to keep your foot holding the brake down at red lights and such until you have a car with this feature.

You can also disengage it by firmly putting your foot back on the brake and turning it off.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Dynamic cruise would have ability to render my vehicle undeliverable . Any feature that adds value to the driving experience is always welcome but brake compression at a light or length of time isn’t even in the realm of a driver aid . Then if something happened to the feature you’d hear people bitching about it all the time . Google search auto brake recall and I rest my case , just saying .

·
Registered
817 Posts
Dynamic cruise would have ability to render my vehicle undeliverable . Any feature that adds value to the driving experience is always welcome but brake compression at a light or length of time isn’t even in the realm of a driver aid . Then if something happened to the feature you’d hear people bitching about it all the time . Google search auto brake recall and I rest my case , just saying .
That makes no sense at all lol. How is relieving you from having to hold your foot on the brake not a "driver aid"? I'm not sure you actually understand what this feature does...do you put your car in park whenever you're at a red light or something?

The Pacifica is not a better vehicle because it doesn't have this feature. If any feature broke people would be complaining about it all the time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dumb question but what purpose does it serve . Because if I’m sitting there with car on and engage brake hold I’m technically compressing the brakes to allow the car not to drive forward . So only way to disengage brake hold is to accelerate or ? . Because when you look at liability , brake hold or not if it disengages for whatever reason your screwed . If I’m sitting in traffic, etc put it in park . Sorry but I have to say this feature is kind of dumb and has zero selling feature .compressing the brake and failure of the system would leave you with zero movement and just another feature to go wrong and people to bitch at .
Just because the the Pacifica doesn't have a specific feature means you need to go completely out of your way to rag/dump on it. Many members here have voiced interest in having this feature and have found value in the feature in other vehicles they've owned.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
What I’m saying is that you put features like this you also escalate the chances of either part failure by no fault of its own or you believe in a false of security that the vehicle is in a hold position and then chose to do something else and allow for a potential incident . Remember anything designed to hold your vehicle in a static position mechanically only perpetuates wear and has potential for failure . Cruise control vs adaptive cruise control , great feature but comes with cost of extra break wear and potential to cause a accident/incident . If I can’t sit with foot on brake then it put the drivetrain into park .

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Anyway, Chrysler could easily implement it a as all the hardware for it is already in the Pacifica.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Either my foot is on the brake or it is in park with the parking brake engaged. There is no way I would trust a "brake hold button" and leave the vehicle in drive or reverse. Even if the Pacifica had this, I would not use it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No its the same way. I am shopping for a BMW 750 and actually just drove one tonight, and it has to be turned back on when you restart
Went through the BMW manual, mostly to make sure I wasn't crazy. Says "After every new vehicle start, the last selected setting is active"

Should be the same in the 7 Series.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What I’m saying is that you put features like this you also escalate the chances of either part failure by no fault of its own or you believe in a false of security that the vehicle is in a hold position and then chose to do something else and allow for a potential incident . Remember anything designed to hold your vehicle in a static position mechanically only perpetuates wear and has potential for failure . Cruise control vs adaptive cruise control , great feature but comes with cost of extra break wear and potential to cause a accident/incident . If I can’t sit with foot on brake then it put the drivetrain into park .
By this logic we'd remove nearly any sort of convenience or luxury technology in a vehicle. We should remove power seats, power doors, why make a hybrid? Why make anti lock brakes?

Let's just all go back to horses.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Either my foot is on the brake or it is in park with the parking brake engaged. There is no way I would trust a "brake hold button" and leave the vehicle in drive or reverse. Even if the Pacifica had this, I would not use it.
If there were rampant problems with auto brake hold systems malfunctioning I'm sure we'd hear of it and it would be pulled. If you don't want it, that's fine, but there are people that do want it and are specifically looking for it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
If there were rampant problems with auto brake hold systems malfunctioning I'm sure we'd hear of it and it would be pulled. If you don't want it, that's fine, but there are people that do want it and are specifically looking for it.
Then they are buying the wrong vehicle currently.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Come on, you're being ridiculous. This is your "anything that isnt the Pacifica is the most amazing vehicle is BS" fanboyism rearing its ugly head again. If the Pacifica had this feature, you'd say it was amazing.

If you don't like the feature or are afraid of wear, don't use it. I remember my grandfather bitching about everything power in a car was just gonna break and he wanted crank windows. You can't drive the most complex hybrid minivan in the world, call people who are concerned about those vehicles catching fire unexpectedly "haters" and say with a straight face you're worried about the complexity of brake hold LOL

Went through the BMW manual, mostly to make sure I wasn't crazy. Says "After every new vehicle start, the last selected setting is active"

Should be the same in the 7 Series.
Interesting! I will check that out.

ThisSuckersElectrical said:
You own a hybrid minivan that basically drives itself. You don't see the absurdity in this statement?

You'll trust it to stop you from 60 MPH when theres a stopped truck in the road but not to hold the brake down for you at a stop light? Makes zero sense lol

"I'm so glad the manufacturer of my vehicle omitted this feature" said nobody ever.

Reactions: GoWFO

·
Registered
547 Posts
You own a hybrid minivan that basically drives itself. You don't see the absurdity in this statement?
The vehicle is NOT self-driving or marketed as such. Where did you get this info, and how does that apply to my previous statement?

The rest of your statements are incorrect assumptions.

While it does have advanced safety tech, it has almost caused two wrecks since owning.

1: Had a vehicle turning right about 5 car lengths in front of me in a 45. Warning systems went off, car in front was out of my way but the Pacifica slammed the brakes almost causing me to be hit from behind by a 4X4 truck. The driver pulled up beside me and gave me the finger. There was NO NEED for emergency braking and I had no control over this.

2: Came upon a massive pothole in the road at night, went left to avoid it. Pacifica jerked right thinking I was leaving the lane and made me hit the pothole causing control issues.

I have since disabled these features.

I do not put any faith in the advanced safety tech features, nor do I use adaptive cruise control hoping the system slows down/brakes for the vehicle in front of me.

"I'm so glad the manufacturer of my vehicle omitted this feature" said nobody ever.
I do.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Because there is a function to set the acc to a certain range or length . The acc only sees a object and does not detect a turn by then as such . The object turning or not is still in your path and is treated as such . The pothole claim I’ve never heard or seen that one before . And with anything that causes sudden braking you also have to be aware of cars in your 360 degree sphere ...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Couldn’t you just use the eparking brake? I thought I remembered if you set it while in drive, all you need to do is press the gas for it to release.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I don't know what's your issue with a simple convenience feature. Most people like to do things the easy way if there is a way to do it. Just like the TV remote, no-one wants to walk to the TV to change a channel. Okay that's an exaggeration. This feature is very useful especially when you are tired and in a stop and go traffic situation. Yes, you have to be alert and keep your foot on the pedal but not actively pushing it (as needed in Pacifica).
You are not relying on this feature to save you if there is a potential danger. Just like cruise control, you use it only when you think it is safe to do so. I'm not sure the clutch remains engaged when the brake hold is on. May be someone who has knowledge about the mechanism can chime in.
As mentioned by several others, Mercedes did it best and most seamlessly as the action is simply an extension of the very act of stopping the car. I loved it in my E class. It gives you the flexibility to keep the car in creep mode at a different stop light without any other action by the driver.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Couldn’t you just use the eparking brake? I thought I remembered if you set it while in drive, all you need to do is press the gas for it to release.
I tried several times to use the e-parking brake for this feature. It's so awkward and cumbersome that you won't try it after a few attempts. The issue is not stopping, you stop like you normally would and then press the button, the park is engaged, right....? The problem comes when it's time to go. You press the accelerator and the car doesn't move since E-park doesn't release with accelerator (it's different from when you first start the car while E-park was engaged, there the E- brake will release if you follow the correct sequence of seatbelt / start button, press brake, change gear, accelerate). The only way to release while in the middle of driving it is to fully press the brake again (no creep), and then press the button (you can suffer the dirty looks some drivers give for unnecessarily slowing traffic).
Having said that I still use this feature once in a while, when there's isn't any traffic and I'm particularly lazy to keep pressing the brake for long time, but don't mind remembering to do the sequence for release...Okay, enough about the storm in the teacup. LOL

·
Registered
817 Posts
That would be way too cumbersome.

I don't know what's your issue with a simple convenience feature.
Its because the feature doesn't exist on the Pacifica, so its evil lol

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It’s not evil it’s just plain dumb and serves zero function . Uphill assist , line lock , stability control , 4 wheel abs all are assist features . Brake hold is nothing more than a gimmick . I could foresee some idiot utilizing this and then getting out of his vehicle to do something and then blame the manufactures.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts