2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Own a car with the feature, you won't think its dumb. I thought it was dumb too until I had it and seriously its my favorite feature in my Lexus, and I absolutely wouldn't buy another car without it.

If you open the door or unbuckle your seatbelt while using brake hold, it yells at you and sets the parking brake. In the Pacifica with the e-Shifter it can just put it in park. There are fail safes built in as with all this tech.

Oh, and TONS of people thought ABS brakes, stability control etc were dumb features. I ahve heard many people say the same thing about blind spot monitoring and cross traffic alerts etc.

Reactions: Bond007

·
Registered
339 Posts
It’s not evil it’s just plain dumb and serves zero function . Uphill assist , line lock , stability control , 4 wheel abs all are assist features . Brake hold is nothing more than a gimmick . I could foresee some idiot utilizing this and then getting out of his vehicle to do something and then blame the manufactures.
They did thought of that and put in an idiot feature in case someone opens the door. Watch the video below and see:

I agree, it's a convenience feature, not a necessity. It's good to have for those that want it and it's not on by default (except MB) for those that don't.

My Leaf has one pedal driving, called E-Pedal. I can drive without touching the brake pedal if I want.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yeah it’s pretty awesome , even Honda has this disclaimer about the feature . Sounds like a great feature to me ....lol.....next people will complain that holding the steering wheel hurts their arms ....lol...
4C2EE541-FF9A-4B45-8AF7-D3E10C2821BE.png

·
Registered
814 Posts
Why do you think people want self driving cars?

·
Registered
38 Posts
it’s just plain dumb and serves zero function
Well the is why opinions are like assholes and everyone has one. Why are you even participating in this thread when you've already made very clear you don't understand why people want this?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Auto brake hold is an amazing comfort feature. I agree with many here, once you experience it you almost cant live without it. I'd say its almost a deal breaker. Chrysler has to enable this feature somehow...even if its through the uconnect interface, thats how big of a deal it is. Like many technologies, its been around in luxury brands like lexus and merc's for almost a decade now! It's not new to the industry, just to the mainstream brands. it works, its safe, its been tested.

·
Registered
546 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Apples to oranges here. Here’s why.
Auto start stop is a “feature” the manufacturer needs to meet their fuel efficiency standards and goals for the government. They are “selling” this “feature” to consumers as if it was designed to save us all fuel costs and be beneficial. Nobody ever said it would be seamless. Rather the marketing folks needed a way to “sell” the consumer on the fact that this is good for us. Sure as a byproduct it is, but it comes with a comfort penalty of being intrusive.

brake hold is a “feature” purely for the consumer, NOT the manufacturer. It’s purely comfort and convenience. It does absolutely nothing for the manufacturer in helping to meet regulations.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Then explain the people disconnecting cables and batteries to disable auto stop-start.
Because it cannot otherwise be easily defeated without having to shut it off every time. If you like the auto start stop, you can use it, but if you don't you can't easily shut it off.

The brake hold, if you don't want to use it, just don't use it. You have to activate it to use it, as oppose to it always being active and having to defeat it all the time if you don't want to use it like the auto stop start.

Like, I know people who don't like automatic headlights, and prefer to turn them on and off. They don't say "wow I'm so glad this car doesnt have this feature" they simply don't use it.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Limited Hybrid
11 Posts
The 2020 Pacifica has auto brake hold, you have to enable it though. It will automatically apply the brakes when the car has been stationary or the shifter is put into park, it will disengage the brakes as soon as you put your foot on the gas.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The 2020 Pacifica has auto brake hold, you have to enable it though. It will automatically apply the brakes when the car has been stationary or the shifter is put into park, it will disengage the brakes as soon as you put your foot on the gas.
We are NOT talking about hill hold assist.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh really? (Skeptical). So what button in the hardware or software do you use to enable it?
It's on p225 of the manual, I don't have the electronic copy available. It's done through the uconnect menu.

Auto Park Brake
The Electric Park Brake can be programmed to
be applied automatically whenever the vehicle
is at a standstill and the automatic transmission
is placed in PARK. Auto Park Brake is enabled
and disabled by customer selection through the
“Customer Programmable Features” section of
the “Uconnect Settings

SafeHold
SafeHold is a safety feature of the Electric Park
Brake System that will engage the park brake
automatically if the vehicle is left unsecured. If
the automatic transmission is not in PARK, the
seat belt is unbuckled, the driver door is open,
the vehicle is at a standstill, and there is no
attempt to depress the brake pedal or acceler
-
ator pedal, the park brake will automatically
engage to prevent the vehicle from rolling.
SafeHold can be temporarily bypassed by
pushing the Electric Park Brake Switch while the
driver door is open and brake pedal is pressed.
Once manually bypassed, SafeHold will be
enabled again once the vehicle reaches
12 mph (20 km/h) or the ignition is cycled to
the OFF position and back to ON again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Safe hold is not what this thread is referring to. Safe hold was implemented on a bunch of vehicles after a celeb was killed a few years back after the brake did not engage when he exited. A software update fixes it for lots of FCA vehicles, some dating back as far as 2014 or sooner even.

auto brake hold is different. Looks like our Pacifica’s don’t have it and probably won’t in 2021. Hopefully in a software update they can do it or at the least on the 2022 models.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Leaf has one pedal driving, called E-Pedal. I can drive without touching the brake pedal if I want.

The PacHy almost has one foot driving, according to the manual you can drive in L instead of D. It's not quite the same but gets about as close as you can get on a non EV car. I have driven a bolt with this feature.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The PacHy almost has one foot driving, according to the manual you can drive in L instead of D. It's not quite the same but gets about as close as you can get on a non EV car. I have driven a bolt with this feature.
The car either has one foot driving or it doesn't. The PacHy will move forward in L so you can't experience one foot driving.
You're thinking of the Auto Park Brake, but it only works if the shifter is in Park. It doesn't apply the brakes if you're stationary in Drive and you take your foot off the brake.

·
Registered
814 Posts
As others have said, thats the auto parking brake not brake hold.

I traded my Lexus in on a Mercedes S560 last night, and driving around I like that implementation of the brake hold, have to push in on the brake to activate it.

Reactions: Bond007

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
As others have said, thats the auto parking brake not brake hold.

I traded my Lexus in on a Mercedes S560 last night, and driving around I like that implementation of the brake hold, have to push in on the brake to activate it.
Exactly as I've been saying, that is the most seamless implementation of a feature in any cars I've seen so far.
Why did you trade the Lexus? any specific issues, or simply bored..??

·
Registered
814 Posts
Exactly as I've been saying, that is the most seamless implementation of a feature in any cars I've seen so far.
Why did you trade the Lexus? any specific issues, or simply bored..??
Yeah I like it a lot. Lease was coming to an end, and I had to decide whether to buy it out and keep it or replace it. I've had 7 Lexuses, and two LS460s so it was time for something different. Nothing bad to say about Lexus.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts