2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have a 2021 Pacifica sport with 245/50R20 tires on them. I'm in Ontario, Canada.

I am looking to get a wheel + tire package just for the winter, and I'd really like to make sure that TPMS works on it as well.

Questions:
Do you recommend going down from 20" to 18" wheels for winter? Or stay with 20"?
How would I make sure that an aftermarket TPMS will work with the Pacifica?

I was planning on just getting everything from Canadian Tire and getting them to do the balancing and installation.

Unfortunately in the past, I haven't been successful at getting the dealer or the garage to do exactly what I want (I order alloy rims, they give me the ugly steel ones; I ordered in custom alloys for my winter tires, they change the tires on the existing alloys instead of the ones I ordered in). I've had so much bad luck with winter tires, I'd appreciate the advice.

Thanks!

Leo

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I’d stick with 18inch 235 60 18 and a dedicated winter tire as a Michelin , blizzack or pirelli . You could check Costco and independent tire stores for price comparison . The tpm sensors you could order oem through the dealership . It all comes down to budget for the rims as far as steel vs alloy . I’d also use the oem lugs for winter and get yourself a good set of Mcgard lugs with locks . It pays to shop around but also remember that supply constraints will have limitations . Happy motoring . Just do yourself a favour and check the date codes on the tires your purchasing for winter , all of them .

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Limited AWD, Black/ Red "S" Appearance Package, PSS, 20" Foreshadow Wheels
306 Posts
Hi!

I have a 2021 Pacifica sport with 245/50R20 tires on them. I'm in Ontario, Canada.

I am looking to get a wheel + tire package just for the winter, and I'd really like to make sure that TPMS works on it as well.

Questions:
Do you recommend going down from 20" to 18" wheels for winter? Or stay with 20"?
How would I make sure that an aftermarket TPMS will work with the Pacifica?

I was planning on just getting everything from Canadian Tire and getting them to do the balancing and installation.

Unfortunately in the past, I haven't been successful at getting the dealer or the garage to do exactly what I want (I order alloy rims, they give me the ugly steel ones; I ordered in custom alloys for my winter tires, they change the tires on the existing alloys instead of the ones I ordered in). I've had so much bad luck with winter tires, I'd appreciate the advice.

Thanks!

Leo
I've never heard of the Pacifica "Sport". What differentiates the "Sport" from other Pacificas?

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Limited AWD, Black/ Red "S" Appearance Package, PSS, 20" Foreshadow Wheels
306 Posts
Technically I believe it's an "S Appearance Package" on a Pacifica Limited.
Thanks, I was thinking that, but also considered that dealers can sometimes add packages of their own.

·
Registered
82 Posts
@jadedninja is correct. When we were looking for our Pacifica one of the salespersons at a local dealership called the “blacked-out” model a Sport. It had the S Appearance package.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have 17 inch winter rims and tires. The work amazing in the snow up here in TOronto. I did go C- Tire and got the best winter tires. Blizzak. The more tire the better the grip. I couldn't tell the difference with 18 or 17 inch rims.
17 inch tires are obviously cheaper.

There is a new franchise in Toronto called LIMTLESS TIRES. I hear their prices are better that most stores.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I have 17 inch winter rims and tires. The work amazing in the snow up here in TOronto. I did go C- Tire and got the best winter tires. Blizzak. The more tire the better the grip. I couldn't tell the difference with 18 or 17 inch rims.
17 inch tires are obviously cheaper.

There is a new franchise in Toronto called LIMTLESS TIRES. I hear their prices are better that most stores.
Let’s be honest you can’t beat the price , service that costco has . The buying power of volume and the costco warranty you can’t beat anywhere . It’s like buying a vehicle , consumer satisfaction on the membership is def second to none .

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have Nokian WRG4 All Weather tires. These are speed rated and mileage rated and carry the snowflake emblem that qualifies as a full-fledged snow tire. I got good traction last year and I live atop the steepest hill in town. Not cheap, but I don't have the changeover cost ($30.00 per tire to mount and balance = $120.00; twice a year = $240.00). Very little hydroplaning in the rain (much better than the OEM tires in that regard). Reasonably quiet and a decent ride. I would buy them again.

Lots of good reviews: nokian wrg4 reviews - Google Search

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I have Nokian WRG4 All Weather tires. These are speed rated and mileage rated and carry the snowflake emblem that qualifies as a full-fledged snow tire. I got good traction last year and I live atop the steepest hill in town. Not cheap, but I don't have the changeover cost ($30.00 per tire to mount and balance = $120.00; twice a year = $240.00). Very little hydroplaning in the rain (much better than the OEM tires in that regard). Reasonably quiet and a decent ride. I would buy them again.

Lots of good reviews: nokian wrg4 reviews - Google Search
All weather tires are not winter tires . They have their limitations and the poster is seeking a true dedicated snow tire . Any dedicated snow tire shouldn’t be driven in summer due to the composition of the rubber . The trade of of these tires is when the temp hits into the minuses as well as the depth of snow due to tread design .

·
Registered
12 Posts
All season tires have a "M & S" emblem.

All Weather tires and Winter (snow) tires also have the same symbol--a Snowflake in a mountain range. They meet the legal requirement for snow tires. I had Nokian Haks on before and these seem to do just as well.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Limited Hybrid
99 Posts
Correct. The Nokian WR series are excellent winter tires in spite of their ‘all weather’ designation. We had a set of G3’s on a previous vehicle. The only major complaint was that they wore considerably faster than our dedicated all-season / winter sets. Even though they had an excellent tread warranty, and Nokian replaced the first two to wear out for free, I bought a set of dedicated winters for the Pacifica. Mounted on separate wheels which is a significant extra cost, but fully recovered over time by not having to have tires mounted and balanced twice per year.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Pinnacle
10 Posts
Don't want to hijack @jadedninja 's thread but, looking for same kinda thing. It's been really frustrating trying to figure out the winter wheel situation for my 2021 PacHy Pinnacle. Local dealership said their system says "Do NOT use Steel rims" but, OEM rims start at $500/wheel which I'm not remotely interested in for winters. They also had tire prices that were for some reason near double what Costco and other tire places have. One of the few sets of wheels I've found that seem to be a fit and under $200 per is the Touren T60's but, at this point I don't know if they're good enough or if I should just use the current wheels and just swap tires. :confused:

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Limited Hybrid
99 Posts
Don’t they have places that sell aftermarket alloy wheels and name brand tires as a package up there in Canada? No need to pay dealer prices.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
146 Posts
constraints
Don't want to hijack @jadedninja 's thread but, looking for same kinda thing. It's been really frustrating trying to figure out the winter wheel situation for my 2021 PacHy Pinnacle. Local dealership said their system says "Do NOT use Steel rims" but, OEM rims start at $500/wheel which I'm not remotely interested in for winters. They also had tire prices that were for some reason near double what Costco and other tire places have. One of the few sets of wheels I've found that seem to be a fit and under $200 per is the Touren T60's but, at this point I don't know if they're good enough or if I should just use the current wheels and just swap tires. :confused:
The reason the dealers are saying no to steel rims are because the MOPAR steel rims have a clearance issue on the Pacifica AWD and Hybrid with the front brake calipers. It has nothing to do with weight, so don’t believe that. The dealers computer system says exactly why they won’t work. It’s clearance not weight. And it’s not just the Pacifica, something else also doesn’t work with the MOPAR rims for the same reason. A local dealer gave me the details on that. But they easily found some third party steel rims that would work fine. If you’re in Canada, you can get steel rims through Costco for $70 each. That’s the best price I have found.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Pinnacle
10 Posts
The reason the dealers are saying no to steel rims are because the MOPAR steel rims have a clearance issue on the Pacifica AWD and Hybrid with the front brake calipers. It has nothing to do with weight, so don’t believe that. The dealers computer system says exactly why they won’t work. It’s clearance not weight. And it’s not just the Pacifica, something else also doesn’t work with the MOPAR rims for the same reason. A local dealer gave me the details on that. But they easily found some third party steel rims that would work fine. If you’re in Canada, you can get steel rims through Costco for $70 each. That’s the best price I have found.
I can't get the Costco Wheel site to give me 18" wheels. Only 19" and 17" come up no matter what model/trim I choose (no Pinnacle option). But, if the issue is just with the Mopar Steels having a clearance issue I feel better about the aftermarket Alloys. The Touren T60s look good to me but, for some reason the Matte Black is showing as Hub-Centric for the PacHy Pinnacle but the Gunmetal option of the T60 is not. Canada Wheels is supposed to be contacting me about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know what your options are in Canada, but if your online dealers are anything like Tire Rack, this should be no big deal. Select wheels and tires you want, and they should be able to get the right TPMS. Since I wanted winter wheels that look at least as good as the summer wheels (and I might remount all the tires to make our current winter wheels the summer wheels and vice-versa), I went with Enkei Performance SVX Machined with Black Accent in 18×8. I think they look pretty darn nice. You already got a lot of good advice on proper winter tires. I went with Continental VikingContact 7 XL in 235/60R-18 after having used various Blizzaks on XIces over the years on various vehicles, just to see how different they might be and because we drive the Pac on dry roads way more than snow and ice in the winter. I've been happy with all of those. Proper winter tires are such a vast improvement over all-seasons; you'll likely be happy with any of the high-rated ones.

FWIW, I find that the majority of aftermarket wheels that fit the Pacifica (e.g., those offered via Tire Rack's selection tool) are a horrible stylistic fit. They just look ridiculous. Very few look good. It's important to view them on the vehicle (i.e., use the "show on vehicle" visualizer at the tire/wheel website) and then really think about aesthetics. Wheels that might look good on a chunky SUV might look really bad on a Pacifica. Colors/accents/shapes should nicely coordinate with the vehicle.

This whole package (wheels / tires / TPMS / lug nuts / mount-and-balance) came in at about $1,820, including sales tax. I do the seasonal summer/winter wheel swap myself (on at least three vehicles; my aging back doesn't really like that job).

You could do this (see photo below from Tire Rack's "show on vehicle"). Will they fit? Yes. With the right tires, will they perform? Yes. Are they good quality? Yes.

Should you get them? Absolutely not, if you care about aesthetics. :) (Hope I didn't just offend somebody!)

Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Molten Silver
6 Posts
I just bought 4 235/60R18 Continental VikingContact 7's from TireRack along with 18x8 alloy wheels (on sale) preparing for two months in Quebec.. Also 4 new sensors. Mounted and balanced. $1600 US including tax and delivery. It will cost me $50 more to swap out my 20 inchers. $1650 for a good looking great set of terrific wheels with the absolute best (IMHO) snow and ice tires - I have had great experience with Continentals - I have Continental Crosscontacts on for the dry season and they are way better that the OEMs. I believe Tire Rack is your best choice...

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Do yourself a fav and see the vehicle weight unloaded and then go to Chinese steel rims with 18 winter tires and see what their load is . The pac ehybrid has 5000 plus pounds ( weights as much as a 1500 5.7 crew cab 4x4 . You’ll soon see why steel rims are not a good idea , 4 steel rims with a winter tire with at least a load 104 rating . So don’t confuse police steel wheels with regular cheap steel wheels as they are polar opposites in design and function .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts