2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
We have lived in northern Wisconsin for many years .we never needed awd .real snow tires do the trick 😁
I agree. Good snow tires are much better than AWD and more importantly, they stop & corner better too. I think there is sometimes more safety in 2WD in that you can sense the deteriorating conditions sooner since you lose traction with 2 wheels, but then have twice the traction for stopping.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I agree. Good snow tires are much better than AWD and more importantly, they stop & corner better too. I think there is sometimes more safety in 2WD in that you can sense the deteriorating conditions sooner since you lose traction with 2 wheels, but then have twice the traction for stopping.
Yep good point, sometimes AWD causes folks to get too far into the danger zone. Back in the day it used to be quite common to have vehicles that could sense deteriorating conditions, and could even automatically turn around and head back home, all without driver input... then we replaced the horses. :LOL:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Yep good point, sometimes AWD causes folks to get too far into the danger zone. Back in the day it used to be quite common to have vehicles that could sense deteriorating conditions, and could even automatically turn around and head back home, all without driver input... then we replaced the horses. :LOL:
Best punch line of the week!! :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
We were planning to keep our 2017 Limited until it wears out. But now we are planning to trade it in for a 2021 AWD model. The AWD is something we wanted very much but wasn’t available.

When we go up to ski, often we have to put on tire socks or chains. Wouldn’t have to do so if we had AWD.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I would definitely choose the AWD as well. Makes traveling in the winter a lot more secure, and the FWD van lights the front tires up way to easily anyways.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've owned two all wheel drive cars (Subaru). They were the best handling cars I've owned (over 30) in my lifetime, but not really needed in normal driving conditions. All wheel drive vehicles cost more to purchase, they get worse gas mileage, and cost more for maintenance and repair. I believe insurance is more too. Keep this in mind before you buy an all wheel drive vehicle. They are great in bad weather and some off roading.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Already saving my pennies for the 2021 AWD version... not for the car itself, but for all the extras that I plan on doing to protect the investment: Full-coverage EXPEL clear wrap... undercarriage undercoating... ceramic window tint (and there's a LOT of glass on these)... plus I plan on immediately swapping-out for better tires (Nokians). So tht's a hefty chunk o' change to lay-out for the first few weeks of ownership. :D

Being in New England, the current implementation of my 2017 Pacifica's FWD is just not as good as AWD, even with dedicated winter tires (good ones, too). Because the 9-spd trans seems to provide so much more torque in each gear, my front tires spin EASILY on dry ground, and ridiculously easy on snow, ice and wet pavement. The traction control is too-slow to kick in and I find my wheels spinning FAR more than I would like - and I am no speed demon or hevy-foot accelerator by any means.

VERY eager for this upgrade. :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
The whole point of buying this vehicle in AWD will be for use in bad weather. Its not the sort of AWD system thats designed to enhance handling.

Many people (including myself) live in areas where winter tires are not practical. Its 50 degrees here in the winter as much or more than its 30 degrees, and its rarely any colder than that. But, we do get snow, and if you travel out of the DC area west or north you quickly get into areas where they do get considerable snow. So, AWD here is a really great feature to have in a vehicle.

I have really missed having an AWD vehicle. My previous Lexus sedans were AWD (my current one is RWD), which was nice but when traveling as a family we want and need the van. Before our kids were born my wife drove SUVs so we always had AWD/4WD available for travel and bad weather.

Having owned AWD and FWD and RWD vehicles, there really isnt a considerable tradeoff in fuel economy or maintenance costs. Remember too the AWD system in the 2021 Pacifica will decouple and the van will be FWD 100% unless slippage is detected, so in normal driving you wont pay a fuel economy penalty.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We want to have the AWD system even though we live in San Diego now. The big advantages for us:

1) do not have to - or significantly less - chain up when we go skiing in the mountains

2) The Pacifica is pretty easy to spin the front tires when it rains (even in dry really) and this will stop that issue

3) we do pull a small trailer every now and then with dirt bikes and other toys and go to the sand. The Pacifica with FWD is super easy to get stuck in even the slightest of sand. Nothing deep at all.

I feel the small cost and possible fuel economy penalty is well worth the benefits.

·
Registered
364 Posts
As a gigging musician on-the-side that transports most of the gear (drums, PA gear, cabling, lights, etc)... and occasionally having to trek up non-paved mountain roads for ski resort gigs, the front wheel drive—while not horrible—has not performed as well as my previous AWD vehicles. Owning a 2nd vehicle is not an option for me. This new AWD Pacifica may very-well be a long-term'er for me... a "drive it to the ground" vehicle since I will finally have the perfect blend of utility, function, performance, style, luxury & economy all in one vehicle.

Up until this announcement of the AWD Pacifica, every vehicle I've looked at over the past 2 decades have been a compromise; including my current 2017 Pacifica. My AWD Ford Flex was pretty good but did not have sufficient cargo area to fit all my gear (among some other shortcomings)... but the AWD was GREAT getting me where I needed. Similar, my 2007 Mazda CX-7 was a powerhouse AWD solution and FUN to drive... but not enough room (this was pre-CX-9 announcement).

For a select few of us, this AWD Pacifica is the perfect "solution" to very specific needs. I truly cannot wait.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Chrysler has announced that you can now order a 2020 Pacifica with AWD
Yeah, my first thought when reading that bit in the article was "Guinea Pig."

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yea, why do that? Just intro the 2021 early, like they did in 2016.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts