2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2021 Hybrid Touring with UConnect 5 (no Nav or Theater) won't connect to Android Auto on my Moto G7 or Moto G5.

Both are running Android 10, which has Android Auto built in (so no need to download a separate Android Auto app).

Both do connect successfully through Bluetooth using the Device Manager, and can play music over Bluetooth. But neither phone will activate Android Auto. The Android Auto icon in the Device Manager never shows up.

My son's iPhone connects fine with CarPlay. The CarPlay logo shows up in the Device Manager as expected and all features work.

I've tried several cables with the Moto phones, with no luck.

Anyone gotten a Moto G7 or G5 to connect to your 2021 UConnect 5?

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
245 Posts
I'm not too familiar with Android but I do know there are permissions you need to set to allow.
Also the 2021 should also support wireless Android Auto and CarPlay no cables needed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeremy. I think everything's configured right on the phone side. Looks like the wireless option requires you first set it up with cables, but frankly neither is working. The manual seems a little sketchy on this topic. Oh well.

I'm going to pull the UConnect fuse and see if that hard reset helps.

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
731 Posts
This is a long shot, but on the older UConnect versions (2018 to 2020) there is a "Smartphone Projection Manager" setting that must be turned on for Android Auto to work. This is on the Phone settings screen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@AZBean there is a "Enable Screen Projection" open in the UConnect device manager, but it's grayed out, so I can't enable it. It's been this way for 3 different Android phones I've tried. Weird!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A hard reset of the UConnect 5 (by pulling and replacing fuse 76) fixed another problem, but didn't fix this.

Might need to ask the dealer for advice, even though 95% of the time I seem to understand these systems better than they do.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,394 Posts
@AZBean there is a "Enable Screen Projection" open in the UConnect device manager, but it's grayed out, so I can't enable it. It's been this way for 3 different Android phones I've tried. Weird!
Is it still grayed out if the engine is running?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it still grayed out if the engine is running?
Yep.

Seems like UConnect recognizes my phone and can connect up to the Phone and Music features, but doesn't recognize that the phone also supports Android Audo. In the Device Manager I see 2 icons next to my phone (one for Phone, one for Music), but not the 3rd icon (for Android Auto).

With an iPhone, I see all 3 icons (Phone, Music, and CarPlay).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Things I've tried, though not in this order:

• Clicking "Delete this device" on UConnect, and re-pairing the phone
  • Deleting the Android Auto cache and storage on the phone
  • Installing, deleting, and re-installing the "Android Auto for Screens" app on the phone. This is separate from the normal Android Auto app, which apparently is built into Android 10, which my phone is running.
  • Triggering "Factory Reset" in UConnect
  • Pulling and resetting the F76 fuse to UConnect
  • Using 2 different USB cables: the one that came with the phone, and a cable that came with my MacBook (so presumably is high quality).
  • Connecting to both UConnect USB ports, including both USB-A and USB-C
  • Granting all permissions to the Android Auto app on my phone
  • Restarting the phone
  • Restarting the car

Same result in all cases: the phone and UConnect pair fine with Bluetooth, but UConnect says "this device supports phone and audio" when it pairs, suggesting that UConnect doesn't detect that the phone supports Android Auto. And Android Auto doesn't auto-launch on my phone like it's supposed to after pairing. And the Android Auto icon never shows up in Device Manager or anywhere on UConnect.

Again, everything works peachy with CarPlay and an iPhone.

Any more ideas?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Things I've tried, though not in this order:

• Clicking "Delete this device" on UConnect, and re-pairing the phone
  • Deleting the Android Auto cache and storage on the phone
  • Installing, deleting, and re-installing the "Android Auto for Screens" app on the phone. This is separate from the normal Android Auto app, which apparently is built into Android 10, which my phone is running.
  • Triggering "Factory Reset" in UConnect
  • Pulling and resetting the F76 fuse to UConnect
  • Using 2 different USB cables: the one that came with the phone, and a cable that came with my MacBook (so presumably is high quality).
  • Connecting to both UConnect USB ports, including both USB-A and USB-C
  • Granting all permissions to the Android Auto app on my phone
  • Restarting the phone
  • Restarting the car

Same result in all cases: the phone and UConnect pair fine with Bluetooth, but UConnect says "this device supports phone and audio" when it pairs, suggesting that UConnect doesn't detect that the phone supports Android Auto. And Android Auto doesn't auto-launch on my phone like it's supposed to after pairing. And the Android Auto icon never shows up in Device Manager or anywhere on UConnect.

Again, everything works peachy with CarPlay and an iPhone.

Any more ideas?
I had to turn off "battery saver" on my phone to get it to work with Android Auto in my Subaru.

Did you download the supplement for UConnect which can be found on the Mopar website? Maybe there is something there that would help. Scroll down to Supplements and More, then Documents, Uconnect manual.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had to turn off "battery saver" on my phone to get it to work with Android Auto in my Subaru.

Did you download the supplement for UConnect which can be found on the Mopar website? Maybe there is something there that would help. Scroll down to Supplements and More, then Documents, Uconnect manual.
Thanks @SciTchr , those are good ideas.

I checked, and my Battery Saver is off.

I downloaded the UConnect manual from the site you suggested. The only important info I picked up: the manual has a screenshot showing an "Enable Android Auto" option you can toggle on/off when you pair an Android Phone with UConnect. But when I pair any of my 3 Android phones, I don't see that option. In its place is an "Enable Screen Projection" option that is always grayed out, and can't be turned on.

There are some promised features in UConnect that haven't been delivered yet (like multiple driver profiles), and I'm starting to wonder if Android Auto is one of those not-yet-available features, even though it was supported by the previous version of UConnect. Has anyone gotten Android Auto to work in a 2021 Pacifica?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Thanks @SciTchr , those are good ideas.

I checked, and my Battery Saver is off.

I downloaded the UConnect manual from the site you suggested. The only important info I picked up: the manual has a screenshot showing an "Enable Android Auto" option you can toggle on/off when you pair an Android Phone with UConnect. But when I pair any of my 3 Android phones, I don't see that option. In its place is an "Enable Screen Projection" option that is always grayed out, and can't be turned on.

There are some promised features in UConnect that haven't been delivered yet (like multiple driver profiles), and I'm starting to wonder if Android Auto is one of those not-yet-available features, even though it was supported by the previous version of UConnect. Has anyone gotten Android Auto to work in a 2021 Pacifica?
You probably read pages 93 and 94 of the UConnect manual, but in case you (or others) haven't, there is info about turning off the device manager. Maybe you can turn the device manager on there. It appears that the USB cord might need to be used for set up. Sometimes the manuals aren't accurate. Hopefully the dealer will be able to assist you.

p. 93 "ANDROID AUTO™ AND APPLE CARPLAY® TIPS AND TRICKS
Device Manager And Turning Off Android Auto™ And Apple CarPlay® Automatic launching of Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay® can be deactivated through the Device Manager. To access this setting: 1. Press the Phone button in the Bottom Menu Bar. 2. Then, press “Device Manager” to show a list of paired devices. 3. Press the Gear icon next to the desired device to open the paired device settings. 4. Deselect the Enable Projection check box. With this option not active, Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay® will not launch when the smartphone is wirelessly connected to the system."

p. 94 "Android Auto™ Automatic Bluetooth® Pairing After connecting to Android Auto™ for the first time and undergoing the setup procedure, the smartphone pairs to the Uconnect system via Bluetooth® without any setup required every time it is within range, if Bluetooth® is turned on. NOTE: Android Auto™ features cannot be used with Bluetooth®. A USB connection is required for its use. Android Auto™ uses both Bluetooth® and USB connections to function, and the connected device is unavailable to other devices when connected using Android Auto™ or Apple CarPlay®."

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
More good ideas, but still no dice. It's like the van doesn't recognize that my phone supports Android Auto. I'll hit up Chrysler for ideas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got o a Moto G7 and it worked for me. It only worked while plugged in. I haven't messed with it enough to get the wireless working. I had to try a couple of different cords if that helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've got o a Moto G7 and it worked for me. It only worked while plugged in. I haven't messed with it enough to get the wireless working. I had to try a couple of different cords if that helps.
Are you on Republic Wireless by any chance? I am and am wondering if that's part of the problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Are you on Republic Wireless by any chance? I am and am wondering if that's part of the problem.
T-mobile. I thought it wasn't going to work for a while. I think it is more cord sensitive than it should be. Even after I got it working, it still isn't consistent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chris, it sounds like I'm in the same boat as you. I just bought a 2021 Pacifica Hybrid and have been trying to get my Moto G7 (Republic Wireless) to connect to Android Auto with no luck. I've also tried several USB cables and some of the other tricks mentioned here with no luck. Car Play worked with no issues on an iPhone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine doesn't seem to connect unless the phone is unlocked. However, I have a short USB-C to USB-C cable and it is working consistently. However, my apps on the back screens lock up the screens so I guess there is a lot of issues with the new Uconnect 5.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 2021 Hybrid Touring. I wasn't able to connect my Oneplus 7 Pro with Android Auto, tried different cables, wireless mode. The phone shows Android Auto is connected successfully to Uconnect device. The enable projection is disabled and the 3rd icon in Device manager is disabled too.
My Wife's iphone connects to Carplay flawlessly. Seems like a bug with Uconnect5.
My phone connects to android auto in honda civic without issues.

Dealership has no clue, the sales person said to try another phone, thats it.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Touring S, Ceramic Gray, Black-out accents, sharp!
11 Posts
Chris, the OP... I'm following... just picked up my 2021 Touring S last week, CANNOT get Android Auto to be recognized in the van. 506 different cords/cables, 2-3 android phones, delete app, reinstall app, you name it, I have tried almost anything. My dealer is about 2.5 hrs away, so 'popping' in is not an option. But I will give the salesman kudos, he's trying, from service mgr & staff to a guy in the dealership with an Android phone, they are looking into it. but it is frustrating as well get out. I wish either Chrysler or Uconnect reps would get in front of this IF it is a software bug, admit it, fix it and move on. I did find in one Uconnect menu the ability to search for (Uconnect?) software updates via Wi-Fi, I logged in from my driveway, and looked for an update, but it found none. PLEASE if you have found a way to have maps display from your phone thru the Uconnect screen, have texts 'read' to you and easily respond, like a family member's HONDA does, please tell us your fix.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts