2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Courtney,. I don't understand part of what you said. You said "Every time your Android device is connected to media USB, and there is another device plugged in, you will need to manually change USB configuration in your settings for your Android to send data.". I have the basic touring 2021 Pacifica and can not get Android Auto to show up on the screen using the usb(several different wires) or bluetooth. In fact, while I can receive phone calls, I can not make them. I have a Motorola One 5G UW. It uses Android 10 and 5G. It is only 4 months old. It should work. It is very frustrating to have a brand new Pacifica that can't do what my 2012 Town and Country could or what is promised on the sticker

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Touring S, Ceramic Gray, Black-out accents, sharp!
11 Posts
Ohhh Courtney;
I so appreciate you finally chiming in, but I have to say... I hope to everything Holy you are wrong.. I am NOT sure at all who I hope is correct... but I do hope someone from Chrysler besides you is reading this thread, and getting ready with checkbook open, as this is not going to end well for myself, you and a host of other mislead and defrauded Chrysler Pacifica purchasers. The manual direct from the factory with my Pac clearly does NOT support your statement that an Android phone must be S8 (at operating software level 9) or newer. Forgive me, but S8? What even is that, only one manufacture/model of phone? The manuals and dealer talk is Android 5 or higher. I hope the (more) confusion is whether the Pacifica HAS built in NAV or not. Someone, you or the one controlling the buy-back or litigation/arbitration plan might want to begin some serious research and damage control on selling vehicles without functioning, advertised features. I am a kind, rational guy to a point, but this is beyond ludicrous.

First the whole non-functioning AA issue; now talk of a software issue a full YEAR after model year; and now the inability to create more than 1 'profile'...

Someone has some real 'splanin' to do. Please do not drop out of site now. If you want to contact us individually to begin this process, please do let me/us know.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It's pretty clear that the S8 referred to is most likely the "Samsung S8". Android has never referred to versions as S-anything.

Google sets the requirements for Android Auto. Requirements differ for wired and wireless per the below:

I find it doubtful that Navigation has anything to do with Android Auto being supported over a wired connection.

It does indeed look like the wireless connection operates on the 5GHz wireless connection - most modern phones should support this.

EDIT: Let's not jump on the Chrysler Cares folks as unfortunately, the Android landscape is vastly more complicated than Apple - especially as cheaper devices sometimes won't get the latest Android version (and even more expensive devices sold through carriers may have to wait for an update).

John

·
Registered
11 Posts
You would think something that appears to be this complicated would have decent instructions. My dealer could not make my phone work and even contacted Chrysler. They just told me(after purchase of course) that my phone wasn't compatible and sent me to a website to see what was. It is severely outdated with many of the phones only available remanufactured. By the way buckbuckgoose, the Moto G Power with Verizon is specifically listed as a phone that works and supports ALL functions. The website is mopar.com/en-us/technology/bluetooth-pairing.html. All this confusion makes me VERY concerned about buying a new expensive phone that may or may not work.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Android Devices
- Compatible Phones: S8 (at operating software level 9) or newer
Now, just to add on here - this statement from Chrysler Cares likely means that the information that they have is that Samsung devices were specifically tested. It's impossible to test every Android device out there (and cables can make a difference too) so don't expect any claims of compatibility above and beyond the generic Google requirements and any phones specifically tested.

Just seeing the above, Bluetooth paring is totally different to Android Auto.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am beyond deflated, disappointed and saddened by this whole experience. I am not trying to pick on the one Chrysler Cares rep that chimed in, I am SOOOO happy she did. I just hope it is not the end of whatever assistance can be had. This is simply an unacceptable end if all those who added to this site, and the hundreds if not thousands more that are not represented here, truly cannot use the features of this technology. How it is that an iphone as old as a7 can seamlessly work, but so, so many android running phones cannot, is, well, unacceptable. A family member's 2019 Honda, and a budget Android running phone can work on their in-auto screen... but yet this 2021 technology update has stepped us back? I walk away shaking my head in disbelief and disappointment.

·
Registered
170 Posts
How it is that an iphone as old as a7 can seamlessly work, but so, so many android running phones cannot, is, well, unacceptable.
You sort of addressed your own point. The reason iOS works is because the actual hardware and software permutations are much, much lower and ultimately the software base is the same. iOS is also helped by the fact that users adopt the software much faster than on Android where there is a distinct lag as the updates roll out from the carriers.

I would say that you have a much better chance of having a working combination if you choose Samsung or Google - those two are the major players in the Android space. Outside of that, choose a vendor that sticks as close to vanilla Android as you can.

It is clear that the 2021 Uconnect does support Android Auto. I've got a OnePlus 7T and 8T and have had Samsung S20FE, and S21s working seamlessly. Unfortunately, it's very likely it's the device not presenting something to the head unit to allow Android Auto vs the UConnect being at fault.

John

·
Registered
11 Posts
John, I am so glad YOUR phones work. Mine doesn't. Don't tell me that Motorola is not vanilla Android. You miss the point. IF it is the phone then Uconnect AND Chrysler needed to be upfront about this so we can make good purchase decisions based on ALL the information. Give us a real list of phones that work rather than the sticker saying Google Android Auto, Apple Car Play, and Bluetooth Hands-free Phone and Audio implying and promising that all recent phones would work. I now have a 2021 Chrysler minivan that doesn't work as well as my 2012 Chrysler minivan. Now I am not as safe as I was before BECAUSE I CAN NOT CALL 911 without pulling to the side of the road and potentially into a dangerous situation. Great situation for an older woman. I can't get a straight answer on what works. I am told there is a Uconnect software update "soon". It has been a month. What is soon?? I don't even address the promised and touted ability to use my phone navigation and music that I am not able to access. I am much more concerned with the safety issue!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
John/Matthewsjl;
You are obviously much more technologically advanced than I, I fully admit that. I am not here to argue with you or anyone. Am I upset by the whole situation, absolutely. I can respect that there are so, so many more permutations of branded phones running different android versions. I don't mean to make it sound too simplistic, but the way this 'technology', this feature, was marketed and represented seems almost deceptive. At this point, I'd be happy with the wired tether of my Android phone running AA on the Uconnect screen. I mean, I looked above a few posts at the requirements you posted:

I've got all 3 of those requirements. What I don't have is 'it' working. This should not be so difficult.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica hybrid touring
12 Posts
John (and anybody else who has a device working) - are your devices all working wirelessly? wired? or both? And do you have U-Connect with or without Navigation? (Sorry if you've already shared these details).
I stand by what I witnessed this morning: wired doesn't work on U-Connect without Navi (Sorry, Sport Pac Guy). And you need an Android device that meets Google's requirements to connect wirelessly (plus there's obviously SOME other devices that work. Margaret, thanks for info about G8 Power on Verizon, but I'm on AT&T, and I'm not surprised at all that my budget phone does not work given the requirements). I'd love for someone to prove me wrong re: wired AA without Navi, preferably with a youtube demonstration.
I'm super bummed Chrysler doesn't seem to understand their own product, and I'm bummed I'll need a new phone, but I'm glad my van is not defective (thanks again technicians). I'll probably buy a Google Pixel 4a, which should work according to Google, and then my last 3 phones will still have cost less than an iPhone. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My background is with Nokia and later Samsung..... I've also always been an Android person vs an iOS person and have a good idea about the device eco-system.

I fully understand that this issue is frustrating.

I've got all 3 of those requirements. What I don't have is 'it' working. This should not be so difficult.
It shouldn't be difficult but unfortunately, Android is fragmented - no two devices are alike.

John, I am so glad YOUR phones work. Mine doesn't. Don't tell me that Motorola is not vanilla Android. You miss the point. IF it is the phone then Uconnect AND Chrysler needed to be upfront about this so we can make good purchase decisions based on ALL the information. Give us a real list of phones that work rather than the sticker saying Google Android Auto, Apple Car Play, and Bluetooth Hands-free Phone and Audio implying and promising that all recent phones would work.
Sorry you feel I'm missing the point but I'm also sorry to tell you that Motorola isn't vanilla android. Probably the only true vanilla Android is on devices that are produced directly by Google.

The second point about a list of phones that work also isn't simple as you have various software levels and also more often than not, differences between direct market phones and those phones that are sold via the carriers (and sometimes the hardware can differ too). It is impossible to test each and every phone hardware and software version - so we're back to "Google Android Auto". Remember that in the early days of bluetooth it wasn't guaranteed that every phone would work with every bluetooth implementation. If we asked for a list then we would likely get just a few phones that have actually been officially tested - and I suspect they are not doing this precisely due to the software changes that come over a device lifecycle - much simpler just to default back to "Android Auto".

Hey, it could be worse, Alfa (another FCA brand) advertised Android Auto support on all 2018s - and it was only on later 2018 builds. Then we had real reasons to complain!

John

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am sorry. I DO have a reason to complain. I didn't get what I was promised. Hands free phone use. I can deal with the rest. But I don't have hands free calling. Simple Bluetooth.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It doesn't. I can receive calls but not make calls. Chrysler told the mechanic my phone was not compatible. I can deal with the rest. I just want hands free Bluetooth. Like I said, A saftey issue for an older woman. It is a Motorola One 5G UW with Verizon. No one can make it work or tell me what would. My husband's phone is older and doesn't work either. Verizon is not going to let me try phones I haven't bought. I am to the point I am going to friends with Verizon and seeing if their newer phones work before I go spend money. No luck yet. I am going to try a Google Pixel a friend's daughter has that I hope will work. This is why I am so upset.

·
Registered
170 Posts
So, being clear here..... simple hands-free bluetooth is really nothing to do with Android Auto. As I said, most handsets today will support BT audio and music (so the tech is probably not right saying your device is incompatible). Here's what I would try:
1. In your UConnect, go to the Device manager and delete any devices.
2. Delete any Bluetooth pairings named UConnect on the phone.
3. Turn off wifi, leave Bluetooth turned on with the phone.

Follow the instructions on this video:

At a minimum, that should allow hands free calls and music.

(re-enable wifi after doing all the above)

John

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica hybrid touring
12 Posts
I'm with you, Margaret. I can't make OR receive bluetooth calls (though I could with a Moto x4 that I tested). Oddly, I can listen to Amazon Music via bluetooth. Please let us know if you get the Pixel working, and if so, which Pixel it is. Hopefully you (and I) can find redeeming qualities in our new vans. I took mine for a drive today and thoroughly enjoyed it, knowing that I wasn't alone with the bluetooth issues, and feeling hopeful that we'll figure this out. If it makes you feel any better, I have 2 friends with new hondas that are having much more serious issues with their infotainment system.
John - I'll try your most recent suggestion, too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
John, Unfortunately, I have tried that already. Three times. Twice with my phone and once with my husband's older phone just in case. I am real good at deleting all the uconnect and phone pairings and redoing them. ( With bluetooth only) I even managed to delete my hearing aid bluetooth connections. I will give it one more try tomorrow but I may do what my daughter suggested and have some wine first! Of course she also recommended I run around the van and sing happy birthday as a last resort. I raised a 30+ year old smart ass.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'm sorry about the confusion surrounding your Uconnect system and the devices that are compatible with your vehicles. There are several models and devices that should have the ability to pair with your vehicle. Essentially any device that has Bluetooth capabilities will have the ability to connect to your system. However, since every cellular device is unique, it may require a different set of sets in order to get it properly connected via Bluetooth.

If you are currently experiencing concerns, working with a dealer, or have any questions, please send us a private message at your earliest convenience.

We would be happy to answer any questions that you have.

Courtney
Chrysler Cares

41 - 60 of 70 Posts