· Registered
7 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
Hybrid
Trim:
Pinnacle
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have been an avid reader of the community and bought the Pacifica Pinnacle 2022 couple of months ago. Based on the discussions and what folks have accomplished, I recently made ( and subsequently purchased too ) an adapter to plug in my 240V 6-20R NEMA plug.
Every time I plug in the charger I get the error code.. These are the troubleshootings I have done till now

1. Reversed the hot a second hot wire ( should not matter, but thought phase reversal could have something with it )
2. Used a custom and Amazon based adaptor
3. Replaced with a 5-15 plug and wired two hots ( instead of the hot / nuetral )..

I still get the same error.. I can enclose the video if required.. As per the manual it asks me to check the inlet, but there is nothing i can see over there

https://vehicleinfo.mopar.com/asset...Hybrid/P133785_22_RUP_H_SU_EN_USC_DIGITAL.pdf
Page 14 / 15 are the error codes
Font Material property Screenshot Document Number

Picture for the charger

Audio equipment Gadget Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Electronic component

Any suggestions would be welcome...

· Premium Member
2,581 Posts
That is a new L1 EVSE, different from previous years.

It must not be compatible. I would stop using it with 240V immediately.
It is probably ruined.

· Registered
1,205 Posts
Hello all, I have been an avid reader of the community and bought the Pacifica Pinnacle 2022 couple of months ago. Based on the discussions and what folks have accomplished, I recently made ( and subsequently purchased too ) an adapter to plug in my 240V 6-20R NEMA plug.
Every time I plug in the charger I get the error code.. These are the troubleshootings I have done till now

1. Reversed the hot a second hot wire ( should not matter, but thought phase reversal could have something with it )
2. Used a custom and Amazon based adaptor
3. Replaced with a 5-15 plug and wired two hots ( instead of the hot / nuetral )..

I still get the same error.. I can enclose the video if required.. As per the manual it asks me to check the inlet, but there is nothing i can see over there

https://vehicleinfo.mopar.com/asset...Hybrid/P133785_22_RUP_H_SU_EN_USC_DIGITAL.pdf
Page 14 / 15 are the error codes View attachment 52139

Picture for the charger

View attachment 52140

Any suggestions would be welcome...
You haven’t given any details on the error. The fact that you are getting the error seems to indicate that the EVSE is working on 240V. Do the LEDs on the front illuminate brighter when plugged into 240V than 120V? If so, then maybe you have a problem. Internally there is a low voltage generated for the control circuitry. As long as the power supply that generates that voltage works on 240V then it should be ok.

· Registered
7 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
Hybrid
Trim:
Pinnacle
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The charger is working fine with 120V. The lights do not illuminate brighter, its just the regular lights. I will take a video and share here.. I am thinking of building a 14-50 --> 5-15R adaptor and trying from my Gas dryer plug to eliminate the possibility of having an issue with the current circuit ( they both are on different circuits )

· Registered
7 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
Hybrid
Trim:
Pinnacle
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought I had added in the original message ( 2-2-2-2 ), maybe I should have circled it too in the image.. My apologies ..

· Registered
7 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
Hybrid
Trim:
Pinnacle
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@MEB - There are numerous posts on using L1 charger on 24) to reduce charging time to 1/2. It is restricted to 240V / 12 A and several people do this. Even @evdoctor has published which chargers work. So there is no issue on that part. This is a new charger for 2022 for pacifica, so we are just testing it to see if it is compatible.

· Registered
1,205 Posts

· Premium Member
2,581 Posts
As far as I know the vans only come with a level 1 charger which are limited to 120v. Adding a adapter to use 240v will not make it charge faster and may break something. You should never add adapters to change the plug type.
That is not true for the level 1 OEM charger. It is 120/240 compatible and can be plugged into a 240 adapter.

· Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
1,223 Posts
@MEB - There are numerous posts on using L1 charger on 24) to reduce charging time to 1/2. It is restricted to 240V / 12 A and several people do this. Even @evdoctor has published which chargers work. So there is no issue on that part. This is a new charger for 2022 for pacifica, so we are just testing it to see if it is compatible.
It's a totally new part number compared to the known 240V compatible Pacifica EVSE. The only way to know for sure is for this new EVSE to be opened by someone like EVDoctor and evaluated.

· Registered
7 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
Hybrid
Trim:
Pinnacle
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a totally new part number compared to the known 240V compatible Pacifica EVSE. The only way to know for sure is for this new EVSE to be opened by someone like EVDoctor and evaluated.
I did have a conversation with Dave. It looks like the part number matches with the GM charger used on other cars which are compatible. I will be trying a different 240V circuit in the home to eliminate any wiring issues with the current one and see if that solves it. If not, will have to figure it out some other way or just accept its incompatible.

· Registered
1,205 Posts
Remember that it’s highly unlikely that you could hurt the car by experimenting with it. The car is designed to take up to 240V (perhaps more) and the contactor in the EVSE won’t even engage unless it thinks everything is good.

· Registered
1,205 Posts
The only real difference between 120V and 240V other than the increased voltage (which it is tolerating) is that a 120V circuit has the ground potential at the same potential of one of the mains whereas a 240V circuit has the ground potential centered between the two mains.

· Registered
7 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
Hybrid
Trim:
Pinnacle
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have done the tests with different 240v supplies and adaptors and can confirm that the new charger is not compatible OOTB.

Here is a short video for the behavior

· Registered
Pacifica Touring L
1 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
Hybrid
I have done the tests with different 240v supplies and adaptors and can confirm that the new charger is not compatible OOTB.

Here is a short video for the behavior
I just wrapped up a similar investigation/conclusion when I found your post. Major bummer with the time spent. I also have 2022 Pacifica Hybrid (Touring L), and the same charger and behavior shown in your video.

What's your plan from here?? Sounds like our only options are to stick with L1 / 120V charging, or...purchase L2 charger, or.... purchase an older L1...?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts