2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Haven't had a chance to do much digging yet, but our '22 is not behaving as expected. We had a '21 PacHy that ran great for 10K miles, half of it in the winter.

Coolant/battery heater is seemingly working. It will precondition while parked, and draw climate power while driving in EV and ICE mode. Temp is synced and set to auto, 72 degrees. The engine will run for a couple minutes, then shut off for a couple minutes, rinse and repeat. Ambient tempt was 20-40 degrees yesterday and today as this happened. Engine stays on even while decelerating or at a stop until it's satisfied and shuts back off again.

My wife has been driving it and I'll drive it later today to look closer as well as pull any hidden codes. I think the engine is likely cycling based on coolant temp (e.g. on at 150 deg, off at 195 deg, as described by someone else with a heater failure). I will try to confirm that later today when I swap vehicles with the wife and I drive it home. Just really odd to be having this issue despite a functional heater, and a brand spanking new vehicle...

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Advanced Safetytec, No Sunroof, white exterior, Alloy Seats
81 Posts
Also watch for any instrument cluster message that it is in Fuel/Oil Refresh Mode. The ICE works very strangely when the van is in FORM.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also watch for any instrument cluster message that it is in Fuel/Oil Refresh Mode. The ICE works very strangely when the van is in FORM.
To my knowledge FORM will continuously run the engine until it's satisfied. I don't think that'd be the case since the van is new and the engine is cycling, plus no dash messages or CEL. Never had any behavior like this when we picked up our '21 a year ago, also brand new and just days off the production line.

·
Registered
2021 PacHy Pinnacle Maximum Steel
155 Posts
Do you see any energy going to climate on the PHEV page of Uconnect? I'll usually see 4 to 5 kW being drawn even when ICE hits in unless I'm low on battery.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Didn't end up driving it yesterday because the battery was dead by the time she got to work. She drove home and said it performed as expected - engine shut off when coasting and decelerating.

We carpooled this morning and it also behaved normal. The engine never kicked on until I pressed the pedal too far - even then, it only ran for 2 miles before turning back off the rest of the drive.

What was more concerning though is the amount of battery usage. I preconditioned manually (the schedule didn't work for some reason) for about 10 minutes before we left. That was long enough to build enough heat to keep the engine off despite it being 40 deg in the garage and 20 deg outside. After driving the initial 3.5 miles to daycare, we had used 22% battery... by the time we got to work 18 miles later, the battery was at 1% in the parking lot. Don't forget it also ran on gas for about 2 miles. I even shut off the rear heat, and had the front set to manual 72 with fan speed 3 - climate was drawing a steady 5 kW the entire drive (about 40 minutes).

I never remember our '21 burning through range that quickly. The climate use equates to about 9 miles of range burned up (call it 5.5 kW of climate * 40 minutes = 3.63 kWh/400 wh-mi = 9 miles). That should still have left about 23 miles of electric range, but instead it was more like 19 miles. At one point I looked down and watched the battery % drop every few seconds. It went from 20% to 1% in 3.5 miles yet again, similar to when we first set off this morning.

I'll check how many kWh the battery takes when we charge it today. Should be about 12.5-13. Aside from that, I'm not sure what would be draining the range so fast. I was always happy with the '21 in winter. Hopefully this new car just needs some miles to calibrate everything, but again, our '21 was great right off the lot.

·
Registered
2021 PacHy Pinnacle Maximum Steel
155 Posts
It's been mild here so far, so not a lot of testing. But when it gets cold I go to drop to daycare and use 7kW all the time for holding 70f while preconditioning for 10 minutes to avoid turning on ICE. Record has been using 50% of battery for around 7 miles and parked for like 5 minutes with car left in run position. This is on a 2021, so yeah battery does drain incredibly fast when using heating.

Such a shame Chrysler didn't put a Heat Pump like the Rav4 Prime etc. It's so more efficient, specially when you can supplement with regular heating element or even ICE.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everything worked as expected this morning. Scheduled charge to start at 4:00 AM, completed at 6:30. Precondition schedule was set to depart at 6:50, and it started to precondition at 6:34. Engine never turned on. Did the whole 22 mile/40 minute trip with 6% battery remaining.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
881 Posts
It's been mild here so far, so not a lot of testing. But when it gets cold I go to drop to daycare and use 7kW all the time for holding 70f while preconditioning for 10 minutes to avoid turning on ICE. Record has been using 50% of battery for around 7 miles and parked for like 5 minutes with car left in run position. This is on a 2021, so yeah battery does drain incredibly fast when using heating.

Such a shame Chrysler didn't put a Heat Pump like the Rav4 Prime etc. It's so more efficient, specially when you can supplement with regular heating element or even ICE.
They did install a heat pump……it just only works for cooling! 😂

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
600 miles on the odometer and coolant heater has now seemingly failed. No CEL yet. Climate draws 0 kW, and engine is erratically on and off. Great!

Edit: maybe not. See post in poll thread linked below.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
600 miles on the odometer and coolant heater has now seemingly failed. No CEL yet. Climate draws 0 kW, and engine is erratically on and off. Great!

·
Registered
8 Posts
This mode will display on dash and only if fuel hasn’t been refreshed In quite a while. You can also stop or prevent fuel refresh from appearing in dash is you and over 4 gallons of fuel. So most these are not related to fuel refresh but hybrid battery coolant heater it seems or software related to that heater.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Haven't had a chance to do much digging yet, but our '22 is not behaving as expected. We had a '21 PacHy that ran great for 10K miles, half of it in the winter.

Coolant/battery heater is seemingly working. It will precondition while parked, and draw climate power while driving in EV and ICE mode. Temp is synced and set to auto, 72 degrees. The engine will run for a couple minutes, then shut off for a couple minutes, rinse and repeat. Ambient tempt was 20-40 degrees yesterday and today as this happened. Engine stays on even while decelerating or at a stop until it's satisfied and shuts back off again.

My wife has been driving it and I'll drive it later today to look closer as well as pull any hidden codes. I think the engine is likely cycling based on coolant temp (e.g. on at 150 deg, off at 195 deg, as described by someone else with a heater failure). I will try to confirm that later today when I swap vehicles with the wife and I drive it home. Just really odd to be having this issue despite a functional heater, and a brand spanking new vehicle...
Well I have this issue with my 21 hybrid pinnacle and keeps throwing and removing code POE15 Has checked heater was fine now heading to dealer again Monday for Devon time since it’s happened three times In 2500 miles and every time it was around 26 degrees when it occurred seems to be a commen issue

·
Registered
3 Posts

I noticed that when outside temperature is cold and your coolant temperature is not too high (<160 deg F), then engine will run when you turn on climate to heat. I believe the vehicle is now calibrated such that it does not use the PTC heater to warm up the coolant and heat up cabin in cold temperatures. I noticed that the PTC heater does not seem to last very long and they are quite expensive (over $600 at Mopar), as I experienced the failure along with other people. In the winter, I tried to turn off my climate and only use the heated seats and heated steering wheel. But the PTC heater is used to heat up the battery - so it was getting a lot of use for 2 years (mine is a 2020 model). PTC finally failed and it had to replaced. Now, I am thinking of using the engine heat by turning on the climate, so the PTC heater does not need to work as hard.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
881 Posts
I noticed that when outside temperature is cold and your coolant temperature is not too high (<160 deg F), then engine will run when you turn on climate to heat. I believe the vehicle is now calibrated such that it does not use the PTC heater to warm up the coolant and heat up cabin in cold temperatures. I noticed that the PTC heater does not seem to last very long and they are quite expensive (over $600 at Mopar), as I experienced the failure along with other people. In the winter, I tried to turn off my climate and only use the heated seats and heated steering wheel. But the PTC heater is used to heat up the battery - so it was getting a lot of use for 2 years (mine is a 2020 model). PTC finally failed and it had to replaced. Now, I am thinking of using the engine heat by turning on the climate, so the PTC heater does not need to work as hard.
1. It’s not a PTC heater. It’s a Webasto HVH50 Plus. CAN or LIN controlled.
2. The ECH definitely keeps the cabin warm in the cold. I had my van below -35C this winter. The engine will be used to help heating any time the ECH hits 7kW of output. The 2021s and newer have a Scheduled Cabin Conditioning mode that can be used to pre-heat the cabin and battery before you go somewhere. This can be approximated on the 2020s and earlier by pressing the start button twice without pressing on the brake, and manually turning up the fan. If the van sits outside and it’s below 0, it’s likely that the engine will run whenever the vehicle is started even if you precondition. Part of the reason for this is to prepare the ICE for use after being cold soaked below 0.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts