2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought the car while it was still in transit to the dealer. I picked it up Thursday sept 15, 2022. They were still taking the plastic protectors off when I got there.

Everything was fine until Saturday morning. Car would not start. Windows wouldn’t go up or down, a message popped up “service shifter”. When I went to the look at the battery level it was 10v. I went out to get my own meter to check… in the span of 10 minutes it dropped to 6v.

I hope it’s just got a bad battery(s) and not a short somewhere else.

I’ve only had this car for 2 days. —Wth?

P.s: what was really weird; the wipers came on even though the switch was OFF and there was nothing I could do to turn them off.

·
Premium Member
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
1,069 Posts
Re: the wipers, yes, weird shtuff happens on these vehicles when the battery gets low. It could be a bad battery as that has been known to happen before, but it might also simply be a discharged battery that needs charging. I really believe every Pacifica owner, and perhaps every "new car with fancy electronics" owner, should own a battery tender and use it occasionally for good battery health.

Reactions: CrySlurGuy

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles with a new vehicle. I am sure they will get it sorted. Everything electrical on the car is controlled by the Body Control Module - lights, wipers, door locks, window motors, sliding doors, etc. The various controls, including the wiper controls, are inputs to the BCM. There is no direct wiring from the wiper stalk to the wiper motor. So when the battery voltage gets wonky, strange stuff happens because the BCM starts losing its mind. BTW, this is not some strange Chrysler thing, all cars for the last couple of decades have been built and wired this way. It saves on wire, and weight, and enables all the fancy multi-functional e being able to unlock the car from a phone app.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update, main battery was ok. They replaced the AUX battery under warranty. When I left the dealership my battery level on the dash board was 14.3v. It dropped to a low of 12.2v when the ESS kicked in; but quickly went back up to 14.3v. Last night I went to the store... the highest it reached was 14.0v.

This morning on the way to work it only reached 13.6.

I just got back from lunch and the highest it reached was 13.1.

So far the car is running fine... but those numbers are concerning me. They're going DOWN... not up and down. Just DOWN.

Let's assume I didn't get TWO bad AUX batteries... then something in this car is killing the aux battery, which is killing my main battery.

Any ideas?

·
Administrator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,943 Posts
While driving, the voltage shown in the driver information centre is the charge created by the vehicle's charging system. Not the battery voltage. The reading when the ESS kicked in would be the combined Aux and main battery. It is possible that the Aux battery was not fully charged when they installed it. If you are only driving short trips, the Aux battery does not get a chance to get fully charged. At that point, it can start to bring down your main battery.

If you do only take short trips, you might want to put a battery tender on the batteries to keep them fully charged.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought the car while it was still in transit to the dealer. I picked it up Thursday sept 15, 2022. They were still taking the plastic protectors off when I got there.

Everything was fine until Saturday morning. Car would not start. Windows wouldn’t go up or down, a message popped up “service shifter”. When I went to the look at the battery level it was 10v. I went out to get my own meter to check… in the span of 10 minutes it dropped to 6v.

I hope it’s just got a bad battery(s) and not a short somewhere else.

I’ve only had this car for 2 days. —Wth?

P.s: what was really weird; the wipers came on even though the switch was OFF and there was nothing I could do to turn them off.
Welcome to Haunted Minivan Syndrome.* But fear not. It will get sorted out eventually. Our 2019 is on its second** auxiliary battery and third main battery. We began having battery-type problems at about the same relative time that you did. Fortunately, we had prior experience with a haunted 2007 Town & Country minivan and we knew that there is about a 10% defect rate with new batteries. It's a dirty little secret about the batteries now that most are made offshore.

The OEM battery was a MoPar, AGM type probably made by Johnson Controls in Mexico. The on-board electronic stuff drained it during shipping from the day it was assembled in Canada until landed on the dealer lot in the SW USA. That is bad for batteries that aren't deep-cycle. The dealer replaced it with a NAPA AGM battery that was defective. It lasted six months. The car now has a new MoPar AGM main battery that seems OK. The dealer was really good, and did all of this at no cost to us, and quickly. Using a battery tender is a good idea if you don't drive much.

(My wife, who drives the car, asks me to add this: If you get messages that tell you to service the lane assist, take a soft microfiber cloth and some water and wipe down all the sensors. That has always cured it for her.)

*Haunted Minivan Syndrome is a term coined at a sister discussion site that deals with Dodge and Chrysler minivans from 1984 thru 2022 models. The issue began circa 2005, and really developed with the 2006 and 2007 models. Those tended to go berserk when the battery voltage got low. Speedometers would swing 0 to 100 mph or km/h, passenger window would go up and down by itself, radio and/or the wipers would turn on when the ignition was turned off, and more. Our 2007 haunting tended to manifest as weird gauge cluster displays. Replacing the battery cured 99.8% of the problems. Bewildered new members would join and describe the symptoms. For the longtime members, it was kind of a race to see who would reply with "you have Haunted Minivan Syndrome" first. (2004 and later PT Cruisers also got it but less vividly.)

**I lost track of how many auxiliary batteries got replaced, but I think two is correct.

Having said all this, my wife really likes her Pachy. But it drives and handles entirely differently from her 2007 T and C. The way the T and C drove reminded her of the road manners of the 1964 Mercedes 220Sb that her late parents used to own, and I agree. The 2007 reflected the Daimler ownership, and the Pachy reflects the Fiat ownership.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can’t stress enough. Get a battery tender and pretend you have a plug in hybrid every night. My 2021 Pinnacle batteries lasted 6 months. My 2017 limited batteries lasted 1 year. Doesn’t matter if you drive everyday or not. Just do it and chalk it up to cost of ownership. Good luck FCA migrating to all electric vehicles. You are going to need to step up electrical quality if you plan to be relevant in the future.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NEW UPDATE:

It's been... another week... and all is well. The voltage on the dash does bounce around a lot. It took me a while to figure out that as peterweb mentioned yes the instrumentation on the dash is the result of the alternator putting current on the bus. The thing that surprised me is that this alternator behaves differently than any other, the volts go UP when the engine rpm's go DOWN. (And you can't tell me the spark-plugs are bringing it down that much)... so it puts 14.4v on the bus when it needs to... but... if the battery is completely topped off it drops off the bus and things hang out around 12.5. Which is fine.

I also had a long saga with trying to get rid of the SiriusXM "Welcome! Your free trial is now active!" pop-up. Cut to the chase... buy the service. Pop-up gone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Took delivery on 14th Sep of new Touring AWD. Dead in driveway on 16th. Towed, investigated, recharged batteries and told to come back Monday for new radio. Dead in driveway Monday, towed a second time. Told part would be a week. Given Jeep GC as rental. Called today, a week later, now estimate radio (maybe, hopefully, can't say for sure) on 10th October.

Telling dealer, just put me in a different car please....pending next response....total mileage is 120 km.

Also, out of interest, the pile of pages of trouble codes that was printed was a small novel (30+ pages)...when the service guy pulled out the file he thumbed through it all with a somewhat bemused look on his face.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel your pain brother.
The microchip shortage problem is such a shitshow. My company is one caught on the supply side but we manage it well enough that we isolate the OEM's from it pretty well. Seems lots of others are not doing so well, from what some of the stories here reveal.

Also, the service advisor admitted they have been having quality issues with batteries lately.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts