2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Red S Edition
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't be happier with how this turned out.
Bought some 22s from a member on this forum - thanks Rick!
Status Mastadon 22x9.5 +35et
Michelin LTX Premier 265/40R22

The van definitely sits a little higher now, which I'm perfectly ok with (I live in Michigan, ground clearance is always welcome)

Turning full lock, forward, backward, left, right. No rubbing.

Ride is very similar to stock. A little more jounce on the bumps, sure. Can actually go around a corner without feeling like I'm driving on balloons, also true.

I'm not speeding around in my van by any means, but even getting onto the highway I'd feel that lean as the tire gave way under the weight of the van and I didn't care for that at all. Now that's completely gone.

Noise on the highway seems the same...Michelin tires never let me down.

And, I'm happy to report I haven't seen any decrease in my efficiency. 30 miles of electric before, 30 miles of electric after. I'm going to put on like 400 miles next week as we take the van on a vacation. I'll let everyone know how she does on this mini road trip.

One things for sure. I'm the only red leather'd plug in hybrid van on 22s I've seen in SE Michigan... And that is exactly how I like it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
982 Posts
Is that a hybrid? If so any issues w/ changing the wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a hybrid. He said he's getting same mileage before and after which is surprising to be honest.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I don’t believe that because I have oem 20 black “s” with Bridgestone ecopias hl summer tires and noticed around a 1-2 % loss . And his tires and rims are way heavier and uses a non low rolling resistance tire . There a reason this vehicle comes from factory with 18 inch aero rims and tires it does , just saying .

·
Registered
20 Posts
There was an option on the 2021 red S edition for 20” rims. Couldn’t find any available though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Billet Silver Pacifica S
32 Posts
I wanted them but I bought a new camera lens a few days before he put them online. Looks great :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
It's a hybrid. He said he's getting same mileage before and after which is surprising to be honest.
And basically impossible. Tesla has to give EPA range ratings for different wheel sizes - every size increase ALWAYS results in a range decrease. You think they wouldn't have figured out a secret sauce by now to keep range while making better looking/larger wheels? Just isn't possible (short of going cast to forged). OP, sorry, but who cares what the dash says your EV range is. Unless you're manually tracking before/after with miles and kWh used, I just don't believe it. There's a reason Chrysler only sells the PHEV with 17" wheels... to maximize range.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
And basically impossible. Tesla has to give EPA range ratings for different wheel sizes - every size increase ALWAYS results in a range decrease. You think they wouldn't have figured out a secret sauce by now to keep range while making better looking/larger wheels? Just isn't possible (short of going cast to forged). OP, sorry, but who cares what the dash says your EV range is. Unless you're manually tracking before/after with miles and kWh used, I just don't believe it. There's a reason Chrysler only sells the PHEV with 17" wheels... to maximize range.
Actually it’s sold with 18 inch wheels for the same range .

·
Super Moderator
982 Posts
Actually it’s sold with 18 inch wheels for the same range .
It's weird. I remember when I was shopping that at some point they went from 18" and standard sunroof to 17" and no sunroof. Not sure what happened when the sunroof became optional on the limited models. I've never seen such an array of varying options in one model year lol. My 21 limited had a build date of 3/21 with 18" and standard sunroof. I remember the newer ones in transit had no sunroof and 17" wheels at the time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don’t believe that because I have oem 20 black “s” with Bridgestone ecopias hl summer tires and noticed around a 1-2 % loss . And his tires and rims are way heavier and uses a non low rolling resistance tire . There a reason this vehicle comes from factory with 18 inch aero rims and tires it does , just saying .
You would be correct! Lol.
So my electric ONLY range seems to be within what I'd call 'normal' - which to me in MI means 24-30 miles depending on the 8000 variables that can affect range. So that's good news

I'm only working from 1 tank in 90 degree heat, loaded with 4 people and luggage... But I saw 23mpg... My worst recorded mileage in the van so far.

I need to get back on my daily commute and see how I do. I'm willing to accept a certain degree of loss of range. But now I get to figure out exactly how much I cost myself.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok. Got an update.

Electric range. Best guess. 10% loss. Use to get 30, now I seem to be getting 27
Motor. Best guess. 10% loss. A stretch of hwy at 70mph with everything off (a/c too) I use to get 32..now I get 30mpg instant.

I'm fortunate enough that I have a 35 mile drive to/from work and free level 2 chargers at home/work... So FOR ME, the 10%, while not ideal by any stretch of my imagination, can be absorbed without too much pain.

A 2nd plus that came out of this, I think I'm keeping the 18s and will put snow tires on them and use them as my winter wheels. And in a pinch, I'll have a spare tire now too.

So FOR ME and my mostly electric range driving self, I'm keeping my 22s. Love em.

I know y'all hate the use of miles/tank but I was around 1150 miles on a few tanks (80mpg). So to drop to 72mpg.... Still beyond incredible for a 5200#, 7 person carrying vehicle.

If anyone has a recommendation for a low friction, or green or whatever they're called 22" tire, please, share!

I'm usually of the opinion Michelins are always the best.. but if I can get some efficiency back by making a switch I'd at least do my homework and check it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts