2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a road trip--Nashville to Lubbock and back via Oklahoma City. I thought I'd post my mpg. I started with a full charge, and I was only able to charge once. One motel we stayed at had a handy 110V outlet, and they agreed to let me charge overnight.

Total miles: 2393.4
Total gasoline consumed: 81.5 gallons
Overall mpg: 29.4

The trip odometer reported 28.6 mpg. Also, the trip odometer reported 248.7 electric miles. It's obviously reporting electric miles traveled in charge-sustaining mode since the total mileage in charge-depleting mode would be around 70.

None of this is new news, but I thought I'd post in case anyone might be interested in how the vehicle performs in charge-sustaining mode.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for visiting our city. Did you have time to check out any of the Buddy Holly things since you came from such a musically inclined city? Back to the original subject, did you drive 75 and 80 on the trip? 29.4 is very good for such a large comfortable vehicle!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just got back from a road trip--Nashville to Lubbock and back via Oklahoma City. I thought I'd post my mpg. I started with a full charge, and I was only able to charge once. One motel we stayed at had a handy 110V outlet, and they agreed to let me charge overnight.

The trip odometer reported 28.6 mpg. Also, the trip odometer reported 248.7 electric miles. It's obviously reporting electric miles traveled in charge-sustaining mode since the total mileage in charge-depleting mode would be around 70.

None of this is new news, but I thought I'd post in case anyone might be interested in how the vehicle performs in charge-sustaining mode.
My calculation says 29.367 MPG. LOL!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Our Pacifica Hybrids do not have a charge-sustaining mode or else it would have an EV/HV button. That's one of the things I miss most from owning another PHEV.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for visiting our city. Did you have time to check out any of the Buddy Holly things since you came from such a musically inclined city? Back to the original subject, did you drive 75 and 80 on the trip? 29.4 is very good for such a large comfortable vehicle!
I enjoyed Lubbock, but between a conference and relatives in the area I didn't make it to the Buddy Holly sites. I did enjoy the 75 mph speed limits on two-lane roads!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Our Pacifica Hybrids do not have a charge-sustaining mode or else it would have an EV/HV button. That's one of the things I miss most from owning another PHEV.
I would beg to differ. PHEVs are always operating in either a charge-depleting mode or a charge-sustaining mode. Whenever you're operating a hybrid and not depleting the battery, it's in charge-sustaining mode. So a Prius always operates in charge-sustaining mode. On vehicles like the Chevy Volt (which I used to own), one can force the car into charge-sustaining mode before the battery is fully depleted. With the Pacifica, you operate in charge-depleting mode until the battery is discharged to the level Chrysler has deemed appropriate, and then the vehicle switches to charge-sustaining mode. It would be nice if one could choose to switch to charge-sustaining mode before the battery has depleted, but Chrysler chose not to let us make that decision.

·
Registered
69 Posts

I got very similar results, as I recall, from our December trip down to Florida. I think I got over 30 for one leg, but then under 28 for another. I also remember the car's overall mpg showed a little bit lower mpg than my calculated... so similar to what you are seeing.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would beg to differ. PHEVs are always operating in either a charge-depleting mode or a charge-sustaining mode. Whenever you're operating a hybrid and not depleting the battery, it's in charge-sustaining mode. So a Prius always operates in charge-sustaining mode. On vehicles like the Chevy Volt (which I used to own), one can force the car into charge-sustaining mode before the battery is fully depleted. With the Pacifica, you operate in charge-depleting mode until the battery is discharged to the level Chrysler has deemed appropriate, and then the vehicle switches to charge-sustaining mode. It would be nice if one could choose to switch to charge-sustaining mode before the battery has depleted, but Chrysler chose not to let us make that decision.
Driving my Volt from Lubbock to Fort Worth using hold mode I get 42 to 44 mpg at 75 mph in a car that's rated at 38 mpg. Without hold mode at 75 mph I get 30 to 35. From my house to the highway I run in normal mode accelerating up to 59 mph on electric. All my stops and starts are in normal mode. I run the last 40 miles in normal.

I really want to see the PacHy add hold mode. I think I could get 33 mpg consistently and it would encourage me to buy one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts