2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got brand new 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited. It came with level 1 charger. I would like to know if it is also equipped with 220/240v charger or not? Does anyone know?

Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
The charger that comes with the car is a level 1 charger that will operate 0n 115V or 230V. There are many threads on the website about using it on 230V and how to make an adapter. Operating on 230v halves the charge time. A level 2 charger with 30A capability reduces the charge time by a factor of four or five.

The actual charger is within the car. The level 1 or 2 charger is actually an electronic unit that tells the car what current level to charge at, provide safety sensing and switching the power on/off. The car's charger cannot charge at more than 30A.

You will also see discussion about extension cords. It is important to get one with very good quality plug and socket since that is where all extension cord failures occur.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just bought a 2019 Pacifica Hybrid Touring L and came looking for the adapter that has been mentioned in other threads. Few of the links are not working.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You'll need to make something like this depending on the 240V outlet you have.
I doubt you can purchase a ready made adapter because of its obvious illegality.
Thanks. I ended up ordering from here. They were the people on etsy links and seems like now they have their own website.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Why is it illegal?
Probably "illegal" isn't the best term to describe these adapters, but they are not code complaint and raise all kinds of liability questions. The shape of the plug and outlet must correspond to their voltage and current rating. You can't plug a regular household 120V appliance in a 240V plug or a 40A 240V L2 EVSE in a 240V 30A dryer outlet because the plug and the receptacle won't match. These adapters will plug into a 240V receptacles and make possible to plug anything 120V into them. It is fine to plug the L1 Pacifica EVSE because it is actually capable of working on 240V. But if something else is plugged in by accident- a leaf blower or space heater- a fire or smoke are highly likely.
I'm surprised people risk selling them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Probably "illegal" isn't the best term to describe these adapters, but they are not code complaint and raise all kinds of liability questions. The shape of the plug and outlet must correspond to their voltage and current rating. You can't plug a regular household 120V appliance in a 240V plug or a 40A 240V L2 EVSE in a 240V 30A dryer outlet because the plug and the receptacle won't match. These adapters will plug into a 240V receptacles and make possible to plug anything 120V into them. It is fine to plug the L1 Pacifica EVSE because it is actually capable of working on 240V. But if something else is plugged in by accident- a leaf blower or space heater- a fire or smoke are highly likely.
I'm surprised people risk selling them.
Ah ok, thought it was actually banned or something. Yea I'm having the hardest time finding an adapter on Amazon, Home Depot, etc. Might need to order from the link that Hunkyn posted above if I ever install a 240V plug in my garage.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Ah ok, thought it was actually banned or something. Yea I'm having the hardest time finding an adapter on Amazon, Home Depot, etc. Might need to order from the link that Hunkyn posted above if I ever install a 240V plug in my garage.
I don't know which term is better here- illegal, banned or non compliant, but using these may put you in trouble if you don't know what you're doing. You're risking fire, liability, denial of insurance, etc... I don't mean to scare you, when done right the risks are negligible. I wanted to explain why the likes of Home Depot won't touch these adapters.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I don't know which term is better here- illegal, banned or non compliant, but using these may put you in trouble if you don't know what you're doing. You're risking fire, liability, denial of insurance, etc... I don't mean to scare you, when done right the risks are negligible. I wanted to explain why the likes of Home Depot won't touch these adapters.
It’s a shame Chrysler didn’t just have these made with some sort of interchangeable head on it so you could legitimately plug into 120 or 240. For some people the ability to plug into 240 at 12 amps would be a game changer. I know I would have thought twice about buying a Level 2 charger had I known about the 240v trick with the OEM charger. But as it is, I have a 30 amp L2 charger at home and now a 12 amp L2 charger at my shop so it works out well.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yeah, I doubt any of these adapters could be considered illegal any more than the homemade weeny roaster I made as a kid out of an appliance cord, a 1x4, and a couple of nails would have been considered illegal. The point is, if you don’t understand why it works or how to do it yourself then it’s probably not that great of an idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts