2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up our 21 Limited S a few days ago. I noticed that the gasket on the 3rd row sunroof doesn't seem to be seated well from the factory. The gasket seems to buldge out from the channel over about a 4 inch area. It is not leaking as we held a hose over the area for a few minutes. I dont hear a rattle over the area either. But it is obviously not seated continuously like the rest of the window gasket.

I took it into the dealership to get their thoughts. I was told by the dealer it is probably best to leave it, that attempting to remove glass panel and reseat l/seal it may make it worse.

What are your thoughts? Will this affect the function of any drain tubes for this glass panel? Is likely to eventually cause issues/leak? The channel appears normal from the exterior and looks isolated to the bottom part of the gasket.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
That sunroof ( fixed ) is nothing more than a piece of glass that fixed and sealed and has no drain tube . The front tripane roof has a tube as it’s not a fixed unit . You could potentially take a hair dryer and heat up the sealer/ gasket and lightly push it back in flush .

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I wouldn't accept that. Tell the service manager that you would like to talk to Chrysler's factory service rep to get a qualified glass installer to fix it. I don't blame the dealer for not wanting to touch it.

PS. Don't try it yourself. If it breaks, it's on you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree that you should never attempt to fix something that was not created by you. The responsibility lies with Chrysler. The dealership does not want to do anything because of the liability but unfortunately it is their responsibility to start the ball rolling. If they do not step up to the plate call Chrysler Customer Care or fill out a complaint online, or both.
Also, either send a text message or email to your dealership documenting your issue. Do this with every concern you have with the vehicle. This way you have backup for each issue which was or was not fixed.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
The problem isn’t fixing the seal it’s what happens when you start taking apart something that was never meant to be taken apart . Vehicles today are meant to be assembled and taking things apart only creates more issues . This issue isn’t right I agree , but when you start taking apart inside headlines , garnishes , clips , fasteners you only create more issues . Every clip/ fastener when removed is garbage especially if they have to remove headliner/plastic inner garnishes .

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Limited AWD Bright White
16 Posts
Just a bit of an FYI here but that “seal” is the factory window urethane adhesive that is used to bond the rear panel to the roof. This is caused by excessive amounts of urethane adhesive in the bead application, it poses absolutely no risk of leakage. Our 21’ is a little sloppy in the same area but knowing how tough that urethane adhesive is I have absolutely no concerns about it’s durability. This is just a quality of workmanship issue in the factory but trying to mess with it will result in a broken glass panel and if it’s removed and re-installed again by a glass shop it may look worse or even leak. It’s extremely tough to get a perfect bead and appearance after bonding a fixed glass panel, if you pull the a-pillar trim in any car you will see the same extruding effect on the windshields adhesive strip as well. Truly nothing to get concerned about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback @Western Rider . At risk of sounding dumb, the fixed panel is simply set in with adhesive ala a windshield with no rubber channel/drain tube that moving sunroofs would have? If this is an issue of excess adhesive being pushed out, I can deal with it. I would assume then there is adequate adhesive within the channel and excess got squeezed out when installation of the glass occured. It is an eye sore but one I don't think anyone will ever even see.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Limited AWD Bright White
16 Posts
Thanks for the feedback @Western Rider . At risk of sounding dumb, the fixed panel is simply set in with adhesive ala a windshield with no rubber channel/drain tube that moving sunroofs would have? If this is an issue of excess adhesive being pushed out, I can deal with it. I would assume then there is adequate adhesive within the channel and excess got squeezed out when installation of the glass occured. It is an eye sore but one I don't think anyone will ever even see.

Thanks!
Yes it’s just excess, nothing to worry about at all. No drains there, just adhesive metal and a glass panel. 👍🏻

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The problem isn’t fixing the seal it’s what happens when you start taking apart something that was never meant to be taken apart . Vehicles today are meant to be assembled and taking things apart only creates more issues . This issue isn’t right I agree , but when you start taking apart inside headlines , garnishes , clips , fasteners you only create more issues . Every clip/ fastener when removed is garbage especially if they have to remove headliner/plastic inner garnishes .
I agree. Clearly it shouldn't be that way, but if its not leaking and theres no wind noise or anything through that area, I would leave it especially since it will be rare anybody sees that. The dealer can easily create all kinds of issues trying to fix that...

Reactions: CANADAHYBRIDGUY

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 2018 Limited has the same bulging. I'm glad I found this thread, I think leaving it is probably for the best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts