2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received back my 2018 Pacifica Hybrid after the 4th tow in the last year. The issue that consistently happens is the following: I push the start button, and the dashboard and shifter go crazy with lights and error messages, and I'm unable to do anything (even turn off the vehicle). The wheels lock up (and can't be released), and my only recourse is to get the car towed with a tow truck that has dollies (and not a flat bed truck, which I learned the hard way can't be used to tow a van with locked up wheels). Upon inspection, they discover that the 12V battery is drained. The first time, they told me that they identified a current draw, which they fixed and should resolve the problem (it didn't). The 2nd time, they just charged the 12V battery and gave it back to me. The 3rd time, I argued for a replacement 12V battery, which they gave me. Unfortunately, this didn't solve the problem, as it just happened again, 1 month later.

After this most recent experience (the 4th time in 1 year), I took the car to a different dealer and elevated my complaints to Chrysler, hoping that the problem would be diagnosed, and definitively solved.

Unfortunately, the dealership, despite working with "technical service experts at Chrysler", still don't know what the problem is. They were unable to reproduce it, and made no hardware repairs. They did perform 2 software updates (TSBs 08-047-20, and 08-042-20), but these appear to be their equivalent of a "shot in the dark".

A Chrysler care representative basically spent 30 minutes arguing with me, telling me that the vehicle is fine. He had no response to my counter argument that 4 tows in the last year indicates that my vehicle is not fine. My only request to them is to tell me what is wrong with the vehicle, and why it was towed, which they cannot do.

I would welcome any thoughts or comments on my issues.

I also hope that this message serves as a warning to future potential buyers of the Pacifica Hybrid - in addition to the above, I've also had to replace a faulty bearing, and had to deal with the "fire recall" (all within one year of ownership). I really wanted to love the vehicle, but sadly cannot in good faith recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Curious what’s mileage on this vehicle , and did you find out what the power draw was on the initial visit ? As far as a bearing or battery post inspection that’s just normal . If you think that a vehicles aren’t susceptible to recalls your very wrong , any manufacture from general to exotic has them . So what was time frames for the dead 12v batteries ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have never owned a vehicle that has given me the headaches that this one has, and my experience cannot be described as normal. In addition to what I mentioned previously, I also had the actuator "clicking" problem that is commonly described on the forum.

The 12V batteries died with 1 to 4 months space in between the episodes. The most recent experience was only one month separated from the previous experience. The vehicle has around 25K kilometers on the vehicle, with about 22K placed over the last year.

Is there anyone that can comment on the likelihood of the TSBs that were applied as being likely to solve the problem? Googling them, it's not clear that they directly address my issue.

Any other insights into reasons for my experiences, or strategies to address would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
when you shut off the vehicle and exit it is there any lights in the instrument panel still operating , there’s anything that you leave plugged in when exiting vehicle , are your trips super short ?

·
Registered
2020 Pac Hybrid Limited, Tech Pkg
202 Posts
are your trips super short ?
The vehicle has around 25K kilometers on the vehicle, with about 22K placed over the last year.
It seems short trips or sitting for long periods (common reasons for poor 12v health) aren't the issues here.

If I was the OP, I'd set the drivers screen to 12v and monitored it for any possible clues. I'd also look for vampire drains. On a previous car that I experienced a "random" dead battery, the cause was a device plugged into an always on rear passenger 12v power port that didn't time out like I thought it should. I'd suspect one of the pachy sub-systems is sometimes not shutting down properly and hanging.

As a DIY and mulit-phev owner, I've learned these vehicles are rolling computers so I try a hard reboot by disconnecting the 12v (Removing certain fuse=soft reboot) and see if the issue returns. If so, dealer time.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for the replies.

@fotomoto : I have looked long and hard if there is anything that is plugged in and draining the system, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Also, the behavior has happened after a long drive (when presumably the 12V battery should have been recharged). Additionally, after the last instance, I pulled a bunch of fuses, and not only was I not able to reboot the system (and restart the car), but I was "scolded" by the technicians who told me they weren't able to properly diagnose the system since a ton of error codes appeared that were associated with me pulling the fuses.

@CANADAHYBRIDGUY : Nothing has been left plugged in the vehicle, and my trips have not been super short. But even if they were short, presumably the 12V battery should have been charging while my HV battery was recharging.

Another request to the masses: can anyone comment if TSBs 08-047-20, and 08-042-20 address these problems? Any other insights that could help would be enormously appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As an update:

Unbelievably, today my PacHy died again, with the same apparent 12V battery related symptoms as before. This is the 5th time I've had to have it towed in under 11 months. Yes, 5 times in 11 months.

My experience with the vehicle has been awful, incredibly frustrating, and totally unacceptable.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Probably some sub-system keeps pulling charge from the 12v battery, when it shouldn't
Different posts in the forums, with apparently different issues, all point to the same final common pathway, which is 12 v battery drain.
Really Chrysler, you need to properly diagnose this issue. It is affecting a lot of your customers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I agree. In my opinion, Chrysler has not met their warranty obligations by giving me back a dysfunctional vehicle 4 times already, under the fiction that it's been repaired. I keep hoping that "this time they've fixed it", but they inevitably again prove they are not capable of doing so. During the last warranty "repair", the service technicians were at least honest in stating that they do not know what is wrong.

This has even changed how I drive the vehicle - I now leave it on for short duration stops, worried that it will not start again (and will require yet another tow).

What a joke.

·
Registered
17 PacHy Plat
356 Posts
Dealing with a similar issue. If you pop the hood, it should cause the engine to start. That may help to charge the battery enough or provide enough current for you to get it into gear. Sometimes it works for me immediately or after a wait a while. Could be 10 min. Could be 30 min. I know crazy.

I'm guessing you've tried a jumper pack too?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Honestly at this point I would 'lawyer up'

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agreed. As I look at my legal options, I'm curious to see how many other people have been affected by 12V battery issues, and will likely start a separate thread to investigate (for class action consideration).

@gory - to hear that you have to pop the hood to start the vehicle (to charge the battery) is absolutely bonkers. Sadly, this has not worked for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wanted to share an update on my 12V battery adventures. As a reminder: I am now 10.5 months in, and have now had 5 tows, all related to the 12V battery subsystem.

For the last 2 tows, I directly emailed the most senior leaders of FCA group (the global CEO, as well as the country GM), and my case is now receiving slightly more attention, but they still have no clue as to what's wrong. Remarkably, when the 12V battery dies, it reset the code history so they have no codes to refer to.

Even more unbelievably, I was asked several questions by their tech department, which included: "is there anything in the vicinity of the vehicle that could be emitting any type of RF signals. IE, microwave, TV, etc.?" I was flabbergasted by the question, and replied: "yes, my car is parked in the driveway of my house (which has a microwave and TV), and I'm in a big city that likely has RF signals everywhere. "

My takeaway is that they have absolutely no idea what's wrong, and this is after they have been working with their corporate tech support team.

Simply unbelievable.

·
Registered
2020 Pac Hybrid Limited, Tech Pkg
202 Posts
I’ve re-read this and don’t see if the 12v was ever replaced.

Often this issue is the operator leaving the vehicle in ACC mode which will drain the 12v very quickly. This is very easy to do in an electric vehicle. BTDT many times but only once did we miss it completely leading to a full discharge in our then new C-Max. My son did it in his new-to-him used Prius while he was still in the car (”listening to the radio” with a girlfriend) and thinking he was in ready mode. <insert joke here>

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring L
56 Posts
Going the legal route is going to be aggrevating, time-consuming, and costly. I really like my Pachy but after a month I've learned just how much tech is involved and how your typical mechanic is not a computer tech. At least not yet. I know this is hard to swallow but I would explore a trade on another pachy using the $7500 rebate and appealing to the dealer for an exceptional deal to avoid the legal. I dont think you exactly have a lemon but it might has well be with the inability to properly diagnose it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts