2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read through the Uconnect 8.4 NAV manual and cannot find any information on my issue below. Perhaps someone (or two) has experienced this and come up with a solution (or not).

I have used the NAV a few times for trips I am familiar with. In all cases the route seems to default to the "shortest distance" which results in the directions taking me off the interstate and onto secondary roads for a portion of the trip. Staying on the interstate means a slightly longer route but much faster.

If there is an option for "shortest distance" or "fastest", such as found on stand-alone GPS units, I have not found it. Note, when I use google maps for directions, it gives me the route I would expect which is different than the 8.4NAV route.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yes there is. Select your destination, and you'll get an audio message, your route is being calculated. Prior to pressing yes to "GO", you'll see 'Options' in the lower left of NAV screen. Press that and you'll see a series of boxes, that include "fastest, shortest, etc". Check Fastest. From what you describe, I have a feeling that your NAV has shortest checked.(?). Hope this helps.

<

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CentralFla. I'll give that a try. Up to now, each time I have used NAV, I have used voice recognition to enter the destination. I recall the big YES button that appears. I'll look for the options button.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an FYI. I found out that "fastest, shortest, etc" options are not available if voice recognition is used to find a destination. The option is available when using the touch screen to enter a destination.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I experienced this as well during a two hour trip. There was traffic on the highway so the GPS took me off the highway through a long stretch of lights, then through curvy off road and residential streets. 'Fastest' is always selected by default for my van. This isn't the first time it's done something like this.

I've also had the accident or traffic avoidance popup and ask if I want to redirect my route every few seconds after clicking 'no' to close it. With it repeating a near full screen popup every few seconds I couldn't actually see the navigation screen. This is the first vehicle GPS that I don't actually want to use.

I think the problem is the map perceives going off the highway as a faster route but it doesn't take into account traffic, lights, and other factors. If it did it wouldn't suggest the route.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I experienced this as well during a two hour trip. There was traffic on the highway so the GPS took me off the highway through a long stretch of lights, then through curvy off road and residential streets. 'Fastest' is always selected by default for my van. This isn't the first time it's done something like this.

I've also had the accident or traffic avoidance popup and ask if I want to redirect my route every few seconds after clicking 'no' to close it. With it repeating a near full screen popup every few seconds I couldn't actually see the navigation screen. This is the first vehicle GPS that I don't actually want to use.

I think the problem is the map perceives going off the highway as a faster route but it doesn't take into account traffic, lights, and other factors. If it did it wouldn't suggest the route.
You can turn off all the rerouting for traffic and accidents etc in the menus.

·
Registered
470 Posts
What is driving me nuts is that with UConnect 8.4 NAV I was driving down a Highway and thought I would try to see how the system would find the Cincinnati Airport (actually in KY). The system of course won't allow manual entry while driving so I had to use VR. Every time I said "Cincinnati Airport" the screen went to Oregon. Also in looking through the Nav screens later I could find no Transportation Category and as such, unlike every other NAV system I never could figure out what to enter to find the Cincinnati Airport (unless I knew the actual address). The best I could do using VR was choose one of the many numbered responses that was the Hertz Rental location near the Airport. Please tell me there is a way to just have it list the Airports in order of Distance from current location. So far rather than doing what you might expect it lists everything that might have the word Airport associated with your search except the actual Airport.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The best I could do using VR was choose one of the many numbered responses that was the Hertz Rental location near the Airport. Please tell me there is a way to just have it list the Airports in order of Distance from current location
You are correct, you can't bring up POIs with the VR. The vehicle must be stopped and do the search manually. Going first to POI>Airports>search. As I've said before I don't believe this system is as good as my Garmin NUVI, other than the screen size.
:frown2:

<

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes there is. Select your destination, and you'll get an audio message, your route is being calculated. Prior to pressing yes to "GO", you'll see 'Options' in the lower left of NAV screen. Press that and you'll see a series of boxes, that include "fastest, shortest, etc". Check Fastest. From what you describe, I have a feeling that your NAV has shortest checked.(?). Hope this helps.

<
Thanks, we have been going crazy! I believe that in our software, currently 2020, you have to choose “Alternate Routes” to choose fastest vs. shortest. I was such a relief to find the fastest setting. Our problem is fixed.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks, we have been going crazy! I believe that in our software, currently 2020, you have to choose “Alternate Routes” to choose fastest vs. shortest. I was such a relief to find the fastest setting. Our problem is fixed.
Glad I was able to assist with your concern. In December we too got a new 2020 Pacifica. This time around I opted to not get the NAV instead we use our Smart phones (Android Auto) and it uses Google Maps right on the 8.4 screen, I find it more user friendly and responsive, not to mention maps are right up to date. Enjoy your Pacifica, so far we've loved both of ours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts