2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

8 PAX and car seats

10K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  squishles10 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone have experience with two car seats - one toddler one infant soon to be second toddler - LATCHed to the outboard second row seats AND momma in the middle?

Assuming car seats that do in fact fit and is momma gonna be relatively comfy?

Otherwise just 7 PAX seating.

The Limited has an "interesting" option that adds 20" wheels/tires and 8th center seat but eliminates the tri-panel "sun" roof.

In all the cars I have had with sunroof I rarely if ever use it. Of course the Touring-L Plus does not have that to start though the Limited has other features I kinda like.

Thanks,

Pete

#2 · (Edited)
Even though you didn't use the sunroof in your other cars did you at least open the shade to let more light in or to give a more airy feel?

That open/wide feel the sunroof provides with the shade open is the main reason we are going to the Limited. Otherwise I would look at the 8 passenger option. We are in the same boat with one toddler and one infant with their seats going on the outside. It has currently been ruled that the sunroof wins out over the 8th seat because you cannot stow it in the car when not needed or if you want a walk through to the back and she felt she can just be between the kids momentarily as needed from the 3rd row. Then the whole concern as well she had about food and debris getting into the floor connections points for the 3rd row when not in use. In the end we are sure we are going with the limited but not 100% on sunroof vs 8th seat. We (really I) are flipping back and forth because of the 8th seat/sunroof. The need to be between there with out littlest one for about another 2-3 months before he grows out of that. our toddler at 2 doesn't need that attention.

I will be curious what you guys decide.

#3 ·
Will do.

I should probably point out that we are the GPs and momma is really GM though we could have the whole fan damily in the vehicle - 6 - a very few times.

I don't particularly care one way or the other on 18" versus 20" wheels (which go with the 8 PAX and sunroof delete no cost option) - 18" tires are probably less expensive to replace.

The kids travel well now with GM in the front seat (station wagon) and, like you said, the infant will be a toddler soon enough. If attention is needed - rarely - we just pull over.

My hunch is in these cases a decision to go without the 8th seat is best.

Pete

#4 ·
I don't particularly care one way or the other on 18" versus 20" wheels ... - 18" tires are probably less expensive to replace.

As for the 18/20 inch rim decision, the Pacifica Limited trim already upgrades the standard 17 inch wheels to 18s and going to 20s is a $995 upgrade (half the cost of the Uconnect Theater or SafetyTec package). Both options are absolutely gorgeous though ... aesthetically a blonde vs brunette decision IMO. You might find the 18" rims slightly easier to hand wash if that matters as there are no hard to reach sharp angles or crannies for brake dust and grease to collect in so a standard cleaning mitt is fast and effective.

#6 ·
Anyone have experience with two car seats - one toddler one infant soon to be second toddler - LATCHed to the outboard second row seats AND momma in the middle?

Assuming car seats that do in fact fit and is momma gonna be relatively comfy?

Pete
I measured the setback at the thickest portion and it came up to 54.5 inches. You would need car seats that were 18 inches wide or less for three across. Two across and a momma? Maybe outboard, but the middle seat does not have latch.

In comparison, I have a Mazda CX-9 and it measured 48 inches at the same points. I have two 19 inch car seats and I cannot sit on an outboard position at all. I am not that big either. 5'9 185 pounds.

In other minivans, the middle seat slides forward. Not sure if the Pacifica does this. If so, then momma could stay up front and still reach baby.

Reactions: ahhchu
#9 ·
We went with the 8 seat, I'm no fan of potentially leaky moonroofs, so no loss there. My thought was we will use the 2nd row for three child seats for now and once we relegate one of the boys to the back I can pull the middle seat to give me captains chairs for later down the line. But you can't really add the option of you go with the limited with glass roof.
And as for the wheel sizes, no issue there as I will pick out a nice wide 20" wheel next spring and relagate the 18"s to winter duty.

Just my $.02, your milage may vary.

#11 ·
Keep in mind that with 8 passenger seating, the 2nd row captain's chairs don't have inboard armrests. The folded down middle seat becomes the armrests instead. With the middle seat pulled out, you don't have any kind inboard armrest. Not a big deal for some folks but others won't like it.

#13 · (Edited)
Rogus, other readers,

here is my 2 cents. I have a 2011 Routan with the middle row captain chairs (same as a town and country but a rebadge VW)

the 8 passenger option on the Pacifica would offer these benefits in my opinions:

-Larger pass-trough to the 3rd row: as Nails one mentioned you loose the armrest. but may I point that you also gain some width when people moving around from sliding door to the third row.
I have 3 kids ranging from age 1 to 6 and I can tell you the arm rest are in the up position 99% of the time. not having them would give you probably 5 to 6" of extra room to walk to 3rd row.

-People have been having some issues with the sunroof introducing rattles, while apparently one forum member got a solution from a dealership, and noise has stop, there is not enough data at this point to suggest it would be reliable and not create further rattles, just to keep in mind.

-Hot climate: I can appreciate that Chrysler understands that a simple curtain is not enough to keep the sun out and actually has a full retracting cover that looks opaque: I suspect that it won't be as good in term of insulation as if there was no sunroof, might not matter for where you live, but here in AZ, people often skip on sunroof for that reason, and also due to deterioration of the seals due to climate.

-those wheels! I have seen on many occasions this van with both the limited 18 and the 20 and it truly makes the car for me with the 20, but that is only my 2 cents.

#14 ·
I agree with the sunroofs possible issues. Also, iMHO, those 20" rims sure make the car look more SUVish and more to my liking.

If anyone is looking for carseats that can fit 3 across in midsize cars, Diono has 2 models that do that. We love ours. Probably going to get a new set of 2 for our new Pacifica.

#17 ·
If you just have one Diono in the middle 2nd row seat, is it narrow enough to allow both outboard seats to tilt forward for easy entry to the 3rd row?

Reactions: ahhchu
#18 · (Edited)
I guess adding my 2 cents too :)

We are going for the 8th seat because:
- We are upgrading for a minivan for space and transportation
- thus optimize transportation with 8 seats vs 7

We are a family of 4 and often grandparents visit and an uncle or a aunt together , etc etc, wolf pack over here :) So having one pop-in / out seat might be beneficial in the future.

We have a Ford Edge today, awesome sun roof and we sort of open it sometimes... not enough for not having the 8th seat.

#19 ·
Just to add to this post, our van is almost a year old. The sunroof doesnt rattle or leak. The van is not hotter than any other car and we're in Texas. We have the 7 passenger version and I open the sunroof all the way quite often. Having a walkway vs having to climb over a half flung forward seat is much more preferable, at least for us, as we'll never need all 8 seats. If we have that many people we'll take a second car, which we've never had to do. One child in particular is snooty about the armrests, so I'm glad they're there. I use mine in the front seat all the time. I wouldn't get the 8 seats bc youre afraid of the sunroof. Of all the things wrong with my van, the sunroof hasn't been one of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.