2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first time this has happen, to my knowledge, since we purchased the Pacifica Hybrid. Plugged in and had a full charge before departure. Drove the van about 65 miles with the outside temp between 75-85 and did not run the AC. Upon arriving home and plugging in, the traction battery still had approx 25% remaining charge. On all other similar driving occasions the charge remaining was 1% (ie.. it used ALL the traction battery charge BEFORE using the gas). I know it can use gas before traction battery charge when it is fairly cold but I did not think it was normal when the temps were above 75 degrees and certainly when the AC was not used. What do I not understand about what might be going on? Another confusion, the usage app shows approx 40 miles battery (which should of depleted the traction battery) and 25 miles gas. Is this normal? Is something maybe wrong with the Van?

Thanks for any enlightenment in advance!!
Regards, Ron

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, this is a 2018 and my wife filled the tank about a week ago for the 3rd or 4th time since we purchased the vehicle July 28th last year. If I remember correctly, it will force use of gas if you do not use a tank every 6 months.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
You’ve owned the van for a year almost, so I’m sure your aware that your ICE can be activated in the summer regardless of charge level. for passing, rapid accelerator rates ie: emergencies, by exceeding approx 55% load on the load meter and also exceeding 80mph.

So I assume your know that once its come on, it maintains a minimum engine temperature for the whole trip until the key is cycled. And you should know that hybrid mode driving will report added electric range from engine and regeneration, so you may see more than 33mi electric miles reported at the trip summery..

So the part I don’t understand is how you where driving the van I guess because your surprised by having 25% battery remaining..

What you experienced is possible if you hit a hilly Highway and cruised at 80mph for the 65mi..

Generally a good rule to follow look for repeating patterns: If something odd happens once(in a blue moon); dont worry about it. If it happens regularly theres something up..

We have to reboot even the best computers occasionally, but they’re not considered faulty or broken or in need of repairs.

Its just how it is these days.

·
Registered
651 Posts
You’ve owned the van for a year almost, so I’m sure your aware that your ICE can be activated in the summer regardless of charge level. for passing, rapid accelerator rates ie: emergencies, by exceeding approx 55% load on the load meter and also exceeding 80mph.

So I assume your know that once its come on, it maintains a minimum engine temperature for the whole trip until the key is cycled. And you should know that hybrid mode driving will report added electric range from engine and regeneration, so you may see more than 33mi electric miles reported at the trip summery..

So the part I don’t understand is how you where driving the van I guess because your surprised by having 25% battery remaining..

What you experienced is possible if you hit a hilly Highway and cruised at 80mph for the 65mi..

Generally a good rule to follow look for repeating patterns: If something odd happens once; dont worry about it. If it happens regularly theres something up..

We have to reboot even the best computers occasionally, but they’re not considered faulty or broken or in need of repairs.

Its just how it is these days.
In regards to awareness, remember Chrysler's design mantra seemed to be "automatic and seamless" so they wanted owners to be blissfully (or frustratingly) unaware of in the inner machinations of the system. Being unaware is by design.

Anyway, I heard that 80mph rule repeated often, but is that hardcoded? I'm guessing that's just around the point where electric can't generate enough oomph to overcome drag so ICE kicks in. A strong tailwind might make that magic point 100mph, or a strong headwind might make it 60mph, correct?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
In regards to awareness, remember Chrysler's design mantra seemed to be "automatic and seamless" so they wanted owners to be blissfully (or frustratingly) unaware of in the inner machinations of the system. Being unaware is by design.

Anyway, I heard that 80mph rule repeated often, but is that hardcoded? I'm guessing that's just around the point where electric can't generate enough oomph to overcome drag so ICE kicks in. A strong tailwind might make that magic point 100mph, or a strong headwind might make it 60mph, correct?
Don't know I’m afraid.. its well above any legal limit on my roads.

·
Registered
91 Posts
In my experience with my 18 PacHy, if I'm maintaining 80+, the ICE comes on and if I'm going downhill at 80+ with my foot off the gas the ICE will stop until I hit the gas pedal again (hill has to be large to maintain 80 going downhill due to wind drag). I believe the programming thinks 80+ on electric only isn't enough for the electric motors (they are reaching their top speed limit. Just like a Tesla p100d will out run a Charger/Challenger hellcat in the 1/4 mile, the Hellcat has way more top speed than the Tesla will ever have.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts