2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Just got a call from Sparks... They are asking for $9,000 to do the repair, and they need half up front to do the work. Yikes...

As an aside, We have been escalating up on the Chrysler Cares side, and might get a response tomorrow,

If not then... Who wants to buy a used Pachy?
This place? Looks like a tire shop: http://sparkstireandauto.com/

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Try going to Prius forums and ask recommendations for transmission shops. PaChy transmission is almost identical in its design.
I heard that a Prius taxi can easily run for 500k miles on the original tranny. Chrysler found a way to screw up the proven design.
I

·
Registered
587 Posts
Try going to Prius forums and ask recommendations for transmission shops. PaChy transmission is almost identical in its design.
I heard that a Prius taxi can easily run for 500k miles on the original tranny. Chrysler found a way to screw up the proven design.
I
Great idea about the prius forums, but concerning the design, what if the noise is only occurring while the gas engine's running? Or only when the A/C is on? Or only when the sunroof is open. We know practically nothing other than it's running fine other than some non-measurable feeling about noise. We need more info but it's been so far left unanswered.

Almost sounds like the tire store was told chrysler said $11k to fix so they quoted $9k and hope they bite. ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
587 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just got a call from Sparks... They are asking for $9,000 to do the repair, and they need half up front to do the work. Yikes...

As an aside, We have been escalating up on the Chrysler Cares side, and might get a response tomorrow,

If not then... Who wants to buy a used Pachy?
I just looked in a used parts site. The search engine knows enough to differentiate between hybrid and gas versions but may be wrong part because it says 9 speed in addition to hybrid. Nuts!

You can get a local junkyard to check for you as they know the twists and turns better and can call to confirm it. Y120P is the stock number.

2017 PACIFICA
Transmission
3.6L 1-K (automatic transmission), (9 speed), hybrid1000AY120P$909.00East Coast Auto Source
866-432-5550 Ext 373639
East Coast Auto Source, Bedford, VA 24523Call for ShippingCall to Order

Hollander® Interchange® is the property of Hollander, a Solera company. © 2019 Audatex North America, Inc. The vehicle part search questions and vehicle part description text appearing on this service are copyrig

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just looked in a used parts site. The search engine knows enough to differentiate between hybrid and gas versions but may be wrong part because it says 9 speed in addition to hybrid. Nuts!

You can get a local junkyard to check for you as they know the twists and turns better and can call to confirm it. Y120P is the stock number.

2017 PACIFICA
Transmission
3.6L 1-K (automatic transmission), (9 speed), hybrid1000AY120P$909.00East Coast Auto Source
866-432-5550 Ext 373639
East Coast Auto Source, Bedford, VA 24523Call for ShippingCall to Order

Hollander® Interchange® is the property of Hollander, a Solera company. © 2019 Audatex North America, Inc. The vehicle part search questions and vehicle part description text appearing on this service are copyrig
There also appear to be many available at http://car-part.com/, which I often use when searching for something like this. While the search choices denote it as a 9 speed, some of the descriptions from sellers have it correct.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
And what do you mean by loud? To me, loud and horrible racket are way different. If you have Blue then can you post somewhere a video of it making the noise? If possible at acceleration, cruise, deceleration and "idle", in both electric and hybrid modes. Or at least tell us when and where it it grinds and if there seems to be a pattern. Does it happen when the gas engine is on? When it's off? Hot? Cold? Fast? Slow? Etc

It could be something as simple as one of the internal oil pumps gone bad which seems relatively serviceable.
Can you post a video of the noise?
As Requested: A video of a fully charged Blue, on the way to work. Showing the Power/Charge Meter. I will investigate what the codes are that are triggering the Check Engine light. That was not there before.

·
Registered
587 Posts
As Requested: A video of a fully charged Blue, on the way to work. Showing the Power/Charge Meter. I will investigate what the codes are that are triggering the Check Engine light. That was not there before.

Thanks! Havent watched it all, but t's definitely tied to speed, and it seems to make noise while maintaining speed, not just during acceleration/deceleration, just not as much. The cel codes will be very interesting, get those asap.

What caused chrysler and sparks to conclude it's the transaxle? Any chance it could be something else like wheel bearings? An accident could have put stress on the bearings and now they've finally failed. Sounds a bit fast for that and wouldn't trigger a cel code. Is it tracking normally? Pulling to one side?

What does it do in hybrid mode?

What does it sound like from the outside?

Anyway, get the cel codes. 👍

·
Registered
201 Posts

First place I would look is inner axle joint though I wouldn't put high odds on my being right. It seems too rattly, particularly at low speed, to be a bearing or gear in the transaxle. The dealer should have been able to figure this out.

Did the other shop test drive the van?

I've been through busted gearsets (had to rebuild differential & wait 6 months for parts to be shipped from Germany before BMW of North America existed) and bad wheel bearings with some of my BMW's. Yours doesn't sound like similar.

Tripod type joints are used on the inner axle joint with this van and these are part of the axle & not the transmission so much more readily available and very easy to replace. Note: The aftermarket rebuilt and new stuff often has rubber boots which are not as good as the polyurethane boots on OEM axles.

·
Registered
247 Posts

Does this make this sound when the engine is running not moving? If not this sounds like the support bearing/bearings for motor B has failed causing slack and the electric drive motor is grinding into the stator. If it does this when the engine is running not moving it would be motor A grinding into the stator. It is also possible that sound is a wheel bearing. Get on a straight of way and get up to about 35 to 45mph move the steering wheel left and right to slightly roll your vehicle weight. If it gets louder or quieter then it is a wheel bearing.

Did you ever have your transaxle serviced? My dealer has told me the transaxle fluid in mine should be dumped and refilled every 30,000 and to not push it to 50,000.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
My dealer has told me the transaxle fluid in mine should be dumped and refilled every 30,000 and to not push it to 50,000.
This is one of the reasons why dealers are held in a low regard here.

From the manual:
Fluid Changes
Under normal operating conditions, the fluid installed at
the factory will provide satisfactory lubrication for the life
of the vehicle.
Routine fluid changes are not required. However, change
the fluid if it becomes contaminated (with water, etc.), or if
the transmission is disassembled for any reason.
@EVNoob, try to read the trouble codes, preferably with a FCA specific tool like alfaOBD. You can do it with the free demo version.

·
Registered
247 Posts
From the manual:

Under normal operating conditions,

@EVNoob, try to read the trouble codes, preferably with a FCA specific tool like alfaOBD. You can do it with the free demo version.
The manual is wrong I had already read that and laughed. "Under normal operating conditions," is the legal jargon that keeps them from lawsuits when the product fails. How much is your investment worth to you? Mine is worth the 200.00 to have the fluid changed every few years.

If you want 95,000-mile life then, by all means, follow the manual. The life of any transmission is in the fluid. All fluids break down with heat. The hybrid transaxle produces a lot of heat in hybrid power sustaining mode. Stator A gets very hot generating 30Kwh+. Now after seeing this from the OP I will be investing in the BG Hybrid transaxle treatment and make BG responsible for the repairs should this happen to me.

Before I became an IT Professional, I was an ASE Certified VW mechanic I did everything. I know all too well how important fluids are. The statement in the manual is a joke and there to increase revenue after out of warranty.

The old 6 speeds in Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram, VW, would die if you followed the 120,000-mile change intervals. This guy learned after his first one failed at 92,000 miles and kept his second one alive to 500,000 miles by properly keeping the fluids changed.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
In my previous minivan I replaced the transmission fluid at 100k miles just because I wanted to do something. I don't know about the hybrid transmission temperature- still going through the sensors- but it doesn't rely on friction, which means no fluid contamination, and the electric motors are very efficient.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You can't realistically replace it for $9k, so I'd recommend taking Sparks up on their offer. The transmission is kind of a black box, with very few serviceable (through Chrysler) parts.

The $4800 unit was someone's internet price, and good luck getting it delivered for that much. It lists for $5,666 and needs other parts, maybe winding up at about $8500 for the job. A reputable local shop that specializes in hybrids offering you $9k out the door is something to jump at.

The factory expects people to get rid of their cars after a few years. "Lifetime Fill" reflects that. Service departments would rather sell service. Can you blame them? The 8 and 9 speed fluid runs $29 a quart and it'll take over 6 quarts, and most shops that do flushes will run 12 quarts. But changing fluids is really cheap insurance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What part of the world are you in? I would love to take a look inside the old gearbox once you get it replaced. Ask about keeping the old/core transmission when you get a chance.

·
Registered
587 Posts
It may be the transaxle, but I'm not convinced. I think the key to remember is that it's still running fine, other than the noise. If the transaxle was toast, as chrysler claims, then that wouldn't be the case.

And I'm still curious how sparks came up with $9k... maybe someone should contact them about this thread. ;)

21 - 40 of 56 Posts