2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
It may be the transaxle, but I'm not convinced. I think the key to remember is that it's still running fine, other than the noise. If the transaxle was toast, as chrysler claims, then that wouldn't be the case.

And I'm still curious how sparks came up with $9k... maybe someone should contact them about this thread. ;)
Any half decent mechanic should be able to identify the source for the noise. We can't troubleshoot any better over the Internet. Something like a bad bearing may still work for a while.
As for the price quote, I would certainly asked for the parts and labor breakdown and what the labor hours are based on. Not only out of a curiousity, but for practical reasons- in my state the total price work is taxed on the whole amount, while only the parts are taxed on an itemized invoice. This alone could save $300.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Any half decent mechanic should be able to identify the source for the noise. We can't troubleshoot any better over the Internet. Something like a bad bearing may still work for a while.
bad bearing ≠ toasted transaxle

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
bad bearing ≠ toasted transaxle
Not according to Chrysler. I can see why a shop wouldn't want to start a repair project without knowing if they can even source the parts. This is a tough situation. Transmission is not a radio, which can be pulled by an owner and shipped for a repair.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks! Havent watched it all, but t's definitely tied to speed, and it seems to make noise while maintaining speed, not just during acceleration/deceleration, just not as much. The cel codes will be very interesting, get those asap.

What caused chrysler and sparks to conclude it's the transaxle? Any chance it could be something else like wheel bearings? An accident could have put stress on the bearings and now they've finally failed. Sounds a bit fast for that and wouldn't trigger a cel code. Is it tracking normally? Pulling to one side?

What does it do in hybrid mode?

What does it sound like from the outside?

Anyway, get the cel codes. 👍
Here is the code for the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid: U1852

It seems to drive the same as before, I don't believe it is alignment or anything like that.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Here is the code for the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid: U1852

It seems to drive the same as before, I don't believe it is alignment or anything like that.
Hmm... Where was it hit in the accident? What mechanically was repaired? About what was the mileage? Any issues when you first got it back?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Nope.

The code is the code, they are not re-defined with every Vehicle.

Your check engine light came on and i noted this fault is also grouped in with the PIM diagnosis linked to the same documents.

·
Registered
430 Posts

View attachment 42373

View attachment 42372

Suggests perform a body verification test:

And Test the CAN Bus. I’ll attach later.
Wow. I know very little about diagnosing this but just making deductions from the error code might lead a person to believe that this has nothing to do with the transmission. I would imagine you could have all sorts of strange problems if the ABS system wasn’t communicating properly with the power train.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
UPDATE: I have been in touch With Chrysler Cares and after changing dealerships, to a team that has Hybrid certification, They have determined that the Drive Motor is faulty and is covered under the Hybrid powertrain warranty. This is excellent news! I will update once I get any movement and when they're finished. Thanks for all the advice!

·
Registered
573 Posts
UPDATE: I have been in touch With Chrysler Cares and after changing dealerships, to a team that has Hybrid certification, They have determined that the Drive Motor is faulty and is covered under the Hybrid powertrain warranty. This is excellent news! I will update once I get any movement and when they're finished. Thanks for all the advice!
Excellent news! I don't totally trust their diagnosis but they'll eventually fix it, and under warranty is way better than $9K or $11K, yikes!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Awesome! Keep us posted, I am curious if my guess on sound was right as I stated before:

"sounds like the support bearing/bearings for motor B has failed causing slack and the electric drive motor is grinding into the stator. If it does this when the engine is running not moving it would be motor A grinding into the stator."

·
Registered
267 Posts
FWIW the drive motor is built into the transmission / transaxle. So that being the diagnosis by others wasn't wrong. The drive motor is just more specific. If they were trying to charge you for it when it was under warranty, well that's incredibly wrong.

I am a little surprised though that they're covering it under the hybrid battery warranty. I thought the transmission assembly would've fallen under the basic powertrain. Unless they're doing it as "goodwill".

Either way it's good to hear you're on your way and if they're changing it out for you take it and run.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts