2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

95,000 Miles and the Hybrid Transmission is shot. HELP!

15K views 55 replies 16 participants last post by  stop-eject 
#1 ·
I have been driving Blue since 2017 and She has been a very good girl. even protected my family in a pretty severe collision in January. However, Over the Memorial Day Weekend, we noticed Blue was making some loud grinding noises while accelerating and decelerating. No Codes or check engine lights. Actual driving performance was not affected at all, just a horrible racket!. I take it to the dealership, and I'm informed that the Hybrid Transaxle is toast and needs to be replaced. $11,000 to do it, because they cannot install any rebuilt or replace internal parts to the transaxle, it has to be replaced as an entire unit. So that's insane.... I have been looking in vain on how to procede. Does anyone work on Hybrid Transmissions? How do i get this fixed? The 2017 battery has 10 year/100,000 mi warranty, Powertrain has 5 year/60,000 Mile warranty. This car has 95,000 miles on the ODO.

#2 ·
Well, I have to say that is unfortunate. It is a new design for Chrysler and what you are experiencing sounds exactly like what others on here have noticed when a replacement under warranty was needed. I have not physically seen one apart other than on you tube and needing a replacement Hybrid transmissions are not that common.You may want to bite the bullet on a new one or research how much for one from a junkyard is. Most reputable yards like LKQ will offer some warranty. If I was you, I would make a decision to keep it or not. If you like it and plan to keep it, go for the new one (warranty from Mopar I think is 3 year unlimited miles (you may want to check)). If you plan to dump it in a year, go used.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#4 · (Edited)
11,000.00??? I think you are getting ripped off.

Google the part number, multiple prices from several resellers. Those are some crazy labor rates they are charging you to hit 11,000.00.

Not much more expensive than a NEW traditional automatic transmission.

Hybrid Transaxle Assembly - Mopar Part Number: RL359946AC Price: $4,801.37

HYBRID TRANSAXLE

Here is the HV battery if you are curious.

Svce Kit-Hybrid - Mopar Part Number: 68307396AD Price: $8,377.75

#6 ·
Having been burned in the past by Chrysler's transmissions, it's stories like this that have me considering an extended warranty or maybe only keeping the Pacifica for a few years to avoid stuff like this.

#8 ·
I've had Chrysler products for many years and have found one thing to be true...I never buy extended warranty's because when I've run into a situation like yours I've called the help line. I try to do a little research ahead of time to discover how many others have had a similar problem because I know I'm not the only victim. I explain to them my disappointment in what I thought was a quality product before I purchased it but I NEVER get mad our threatened to never buy one again...once they hear just disappointment on your part they'll listen. I also let them know I'm not expecting something for nothing...just fair treatment. Usually they'll take the issue under submission and go up the food chain for a decision...at the lower level they can't help you. In every case except one they've done the out of warranty repair for a 100.00 deductible...once I had to ask for upper management help and they also did the repair for the same deductible...don't get mad just be insistence. That's helped me in at least 10 repairs. I currently own a 2018 Pacifica Hybrid-2013 300-2008 Caravan and a 2004 Ram 1500...Let us know if that helps--Hybrid owners seem to be like a family.

#9 ·
I've watched a video on the tear down of this transmission. The only thing that looks like it could fail is the sprag clutch. Surely you can get a good shop to rebuild the unit for way less money. I've personally rebuilt a GM TH350 transmission (and I'm not a mechanic). The CVT in our hybrid Pacificas is a piece of cake by comparison. It doesn't even have any clutch packs.

#10 · (Edited)
The CVT in our hybrid Pacificas

It doesn't even have any clutch packs.
(Si-EVT) It's not a CVT. Those are complete junk due to high failure rates of the steel belt breaking.

It has six torque limiter clutch packs in the Si- (SIngle Input) of the Pacifica hybrid.

#11 ·
I presume you meant Labor Day last weekend and not 3 months ago, yikes! o_O

Anyway, where's Blue now? At the dealer? Are you using it?

And what do you mean by loud? To me, loud and horrible racket are way different. If you have Blue then can you post somewhere a video of it making the noise? If possible at acceleration, cruise, deceleration and "idle", in both electric and hybrid modes. Or at least tell us when and where it it grinds and if there seems to be a pattern. Does it happen when the gas engine is on? When it's off? Hot? Cold? Fast? Slow? Etc

It could be something as simple as one of the internal oil pumps gone bad which seems relatively serviceable.

#30 · (Edited)
And what do you mean by loud? To me, loud and horrible racket are way different. If you have Blue then can you post somewhere a video of it making the noise? If possible at acceleration, cruise, deceleration and "idle", in both electric and hybrid modes. Or at least tell us when and where it it grinds and if there seems to be a pattern. Does it happen when the gas engine is on? When it's off? Hot? Cold? Fast? Slow? Etc

It could be something as simple as one of the internal oil pumps gone bad which seems relatively serviceable.
Can you post a video of the noise?
As Requested: A video of a fully charged Blue, on the way to work. Showing the Power/Charge Meter. I will investigate what the codes are that are triggering the Check Engine light. That was not there before.

#16 ·
When I watched that transmission tear down video, my thoughts were that it looked simple and even Chrysler could build it reliably. Was I too optimistic? I'm trying to think what could go wrong. The Motor B is spinning at more than 10000 RPM when driven fast, could one of its bearings go bad? That should be a repairable with independently sourced bearings, although most shops would be afraid to touch this transmission

#17 ·
I doubt the dealer has a clear understanding of what's gone wrong if it really is inside the transmission. Also, the CV joints in the axles can cause grinding noise under load so asking specifically if they have checked the axle joints(and wheel bearings) is a good idea. These have been more of a problem with the gas versions.

Some other thoughts for what it's worth:

A second opinion from an outside shop may be helpful.

Finding and installing a used transaxle is something the dealer should be willing to do (no guarantees though) if the axles are not the problem. The dealer quote should have identified labor and parts separately. I would expect labor in the range of a couple of thousand.

Finding an independent shop willing to take on the work is the next step if the dealer won't work with used parts. WeberAuto on youtube is associated with Weber State University and they train mechanics which would presumably be for independent shops. Maybe they know someone they've trained or can point you to a trade association which lists independent shops. Shops which work on the Prius are set up to deal with high voltage safely. They should be willing to work on a Chrysler. These transmissions are similar and, compared to typical automatic, much simpler mechanically. Maybe this can help. https://www.thehybridshop.com/

This link shows details about the Pacifica Hybrid transmission courtesy of WeberAuto.

Good luck & please keep us up to date on what you found out.

#18 ·
Finding an independent shop willing to take on the work is the next step if the dealer won't work with used parts. WeberAuto on youtube is associated with Weber State University and they train mechanics which would presumably be for independent shops. Maybe they know someone they've trained or can point you to a trade association which lists independent shops. Shops which work on the Prius are set up to deal with high voltage safely. They should be willing to work on a Chrysler. These transmissions are similar and, compared to typical automatic, much simpler mechanically. Maybe this can help. https://www.thehybridshop.com/
I just dropped off blue at our local Hybrid Shop in St. Charles appropriately named "Sparks Tire and Auto". They didn't even flinch when I mentioned it was a hybrid. Hopefully I'll get good news!

#22 ·
Try going to Prius forums and ask recommendations for transmission shops. PaChy transmission is almost identical in its design.
I heard that a Prius taxi can easily run for 500k miles on the original tranny. Chrysler found a way to screw up the proven design.
I

#23 ·
Try going to Prius forums and ask recommendations for transmission shops. PaChy transmission is almost identical in its design.
I heard that a Prius taxi can easily run for 500k miles on the original tranny. Chrysler found a way to screw up the proven design.
I
Great idea about the prius forums, but concerning the design, what if the noise is only occurring while the gas engine's running? Or only when the A/C is on? Or only when the sunroof is open. We know practically nothing other than it's running fine other than some non-measurable feeling about noise. We need more info but it's been so far left unanswered.

Almost sounds like the tire store was told chrysler said $11k to fix so they quoted $9k and hope they bite. ¯\(ツ)

#36 ·
In my previous minivan I replaced the transmission fluid at 100k miles just because I wanted to do something. I don't know about the hybrid transmission temperature- still going through the sensors- but it doesn't rely on friction, which means no fluid contamination, and the electric motors are very efficient.

#42 ·
I don't know about the hybrid transmission temperature- still going through the sensors
I found the sensors, and tracked them while driving to work. The transmission oil temperature was within35-53 C, the hottest part was the Motor B, and it never exceeded 63 C.

#37 ·
You can't realistically replace it for $9k, so I'd recommend taking Sparks up on their offer. The transmission is kind of a black box, with very few serviceable (through Chrysler) parts.

The $4800 unit was someone's internet price, and good luck getting it delivered for that much. It lists for $5,666 and needs other parts, maybe winding up at about $8500 for the job. A reputable local shop that specializes in hybrids offering you $9k out the door is something to jump at.

The factory expects people to get rid of their cars after a few years. "Lifetime Fill" reflects that. Service departments would rather sell service. Can you blame them? The 8 and 9 speed fluid runs $29 a quart and it'll take over 6 quarts, and most shops that do flushes will run 12 quarts. But changing fluids is really cheap insurance.

#40 ·
It may be the transaxle, but I'm not convinced. I think the key to remember is that it's still running fine, other than the noise. If the transaxle was toast, as chrysler claims, then that wouldn't be the case.

And I'm still curious how sparks came up with $9k... maybe someone should contact them about this thread. ;)

#41 ·
It may be the transaxle, but I'm not convinced. I think the key to remember is that it's still running fine, other than the noise. If the transaxle was toast, as chrysler claims, then that wouldn't be the case.

And I'm still curious how sparks came up with $9k... maybe someone should contact them about this thread. ;)
Any half decent mechanic should be able to identify the source for the noise. We can't troubleshoot any better over the Internet. Something like a bad bearing may still work for a while.
As for the price quote, I would certainly asked for the parts and labor breakdown and what the labor hours are based on. Not only out of a curiousity, but for practical reasons- in my state the total price work is taxed on the whole amount, while only the parts are taxed on an itemized invoice. This alone could save $300.

#52 ·
UPDATE: I have been in touch With Chrysler Cares and after changing dealerships, to a team that has Hybrid certification, They have determined that the Drive Motor is faulty and is covered under the Hybrid powertrain warranty. This is excellent news! I will update once I get any movement and when they're finished. Thanks for all the advice!

#53 ·
Excellent news! I don't totally trust their diagnosis but they'll eventually fix it, and under warranty is way better than $9K or $11K, yikes!

#55 ·
FWIW the drive motor is built into the transmission / transaxle. So that being the diagnosis by others wasn't wrong. The drive motor is just more specific. If they were trying to charge you for it when it was under warranty, well that's incredibly wrong.

I am a little surprised though that they're covering it under the hybrid battery warranty. I thought the transmission assembly would've fallen under the basic powertrain. Unless they're doing it as "goodwill".

Either way it's good to hear you're on your way and if they're changing it out for you take it and run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.