2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post here if you've ever achieved gear number nine.

I recently saw top gear for the first time. It was on a long downhill - 10+ miles - on a 70mph highway. I was driving the PAC the old fashioned, manual way, looked down to check speed (73), and noticed the tach was showing about 1300RPM. Once in 9th, it stayed there for a long time, even some pretty decent applications of the throttle when the road rolled uphill didn't cause it to downshift. Only when we reached town and speed limit dropped to 50mph did it finally downshift.

Spent many miles on the 75mph sections of I-10 and saw only 7th and 8th gears. Like others have noted, it mostly chooses 8th when driven manually but largely drops back to 7th when ACC is used.

·
Registered
921 Posts

I recently saw top gear for the first time. It was on a long downhill - 10+ miles - on a 70mph highway. I was driving the PAC the old fashioned, manual way, looked down to check speed (73), and noticed the tach was showing about 1300RPM. Once in 9th, it stayed there for a long time, even some pretty decent applications of the throttle when the road rolled uphill didn't cause it to downshift. Only when we reached town and speed limit dropped to 50mph did it finally downshift.

Spent many miles on the 75mph sections of I-10 and saw only 7th and 8th gears. Like others have noted, it mostly chooses 8th when driven manually but largely drops back to 7th when ACC is used.
Cool! What do we get? Tee shirts? I'm not putting a bumper sticker on my Pacifica :mad:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The paddle shifting ability on the new Odyssey is probably one of the most significant things I wish the Pac had. Oh well, can't have my cake and eat it too! [I think I have hit 9th gear a few times as well.]

·
Registered
921 Posts
The paddle shifting ability on the new Odyssey is probably one of the most significant things I wish the Pac had. Oh well, can't have my cake and eat it too! [I think I have hit 9th gear a few times as well.]
....hmmm....you sound a little doubtful. I vote no membership yet

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been reading the Odyclub forum as well, monitoring both was one part of making my purchase decision. There was recently a thread on "I can't get into 10th gear." The car ignored the upshift command from the paddles. My Subaru is about equally useful. Command a "downshift" (it's a cvt) and 10 seconds later it goes back into automatic and upshifts. Real useful on long downgrades... I don't see the point of paddles in a non-sporting street vehicle.

·
Registered
117 Posts

I thought I knew my Pacifica quite well because I DID read the guide and owner's manual. However, how do you determine what gear you are in? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've seen 9th gear several times, it always takes longer downhill grade and either driving manually or with the cruise control on. When it does get into 9th gear at 70mph the rpms drop to about 1300rpm as you mentioned. Once the road gets leveled the transmission always shifts back down to 8th gear about 1600rpm. I've never seen 9th gear on level road even at 85mph

·
Registered
921 Posts
I've seen 9th gear several times, it always takes longer downhill grade and either driving manually or with the cruise control on. When it does get into 9th gear at 70mph the rpms drop to about 1300rpm as you mentioned. Once the road gets leveled the transmission always shifts back down to 8th gear about 1600rpm. I've never seen 9th gear on level road even at 85mph
@85 MPH the Pacifica is pushing a lot of air and that is probably why the extra rpms are needed. I will try and notice what the RPM is on a level 45 - 50 MPH cruise when the Current MPG is reading around 35 - 40 MPG.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought I knew my Pacifica quite well because I DID read the guide and owner's manual. However, how do you determine what gear you are in? Thanks for any help!
The car does not show what gear it is in, unlike some other brands. You have to observe the relationship between MPH and engine RPM. In round numbers, at 70MPH 7th gear is 2,000RPM, 8th is 1,700RPM, and 9th is 1,300RPM.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The car does not show what gear it is in, unlike some other brands. You have to observe the relationship between MPH and engine RPM. In round numbers, at 70MPH 7th gear is 2,000RPM, 8th is 1,700RPM, and 9th is 1,300RPM.
Thanks for clarifying! I've missed being able to see an indication of which gear. Makes me feel better than I didn't miss something. I'm sure I've seen 1300 RPMs on the freeway, but didn't make the correlation.

·
Registered
83 Posts

I’ll have to recheck the math on it. ACC set to the 75mph speed limit, it’ll sit happily at 2000rpm through the flat Midwest. I’d thought that was 7th gear, but maybe it’s 8th.

I hit 9th for the first, and only, time on a recent trip coming down from the Rockies. ACC off, 70mph, after a few miles of descent.

The transmission control is my only real complaint with the Pacifica. Climbing passes above 8000ft, the car wants to upshift all the time. Only way to downshift is to basically floor it. Having paddles would make driving at altitude on steep grades so much easier.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I live in Germany, so speed limit is not an issue. But even at 80 mph, flat or even slightly downhill, no cruise control engaged, our Pacifica would not go into 9th gear. So it appears other conditions need to be fulfilled...

·
Registered
115 Posts
You don't need a 9th gear club, you need a 9th gear platoon.

Drafting like Nascar is dangerous on the roads, but simply being behind someone at normal distances gives a significant aero benefit. Simply having someone behind you at normal distances gives a big benefit too. Adaptive cruise and even one other driver who doesn't think the highway is a drag race make for smooth sailing.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've never seen anything under 2k rpm at 70mph on ours, but then again it seems like no matter which direction we are traveling, we are always going into a strong head wind!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have been in 9th 3x that I know of. Going downhill on the I15 for long stretches. Never on flat ground. I do wish the Pac had a way to select gears - doesn't even need paddles. Just a rocker switch on the steering wheel which would allow for gear limiting so I could use that for downhill grades where I want to use engine braking.

·
Registered
273 Posts
That is one of many things I like about my new F150. Dash numbers 1-10. I have had the truck in 10 many times. My Limited has not made it out of 7th, as best as I can tell.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts