2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So does anyone else think their electric A/C compressor is particularly loud sometimes? Mine seems to buzz, especially when I first start the van, and it's pretty darn loud. Enough that people have asked what that strange noise is coming from my car.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I never noticed it. Will have to listen/feel for it next time. I know it always starts up since it's been so warm and humid lately.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It seems to be variable speed, so if it is really hot, you are sitting still, have AC on max, and just started - the noise will be extreamly loud.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know of a pump that is totally quiet when it is pumping.
Yeah I guess that's my question. Is it normal loud or too loud. I can hear it in the cockpit buzzing as I'm going down the road. I can hear it above the fan that also switches on when the A/C switches on (both the condenser fan and the inside air fan). It could be that it's just the normal loud but it certainly seems pretty loud. Plus the "buzzing" sound is a bit non-normal sounding for someone coming from an ICE car and a belt driven A/C compressor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had mine for almost a year now and have had exactly the same problem from day one. It's an annoying humming or buzzing noise that seems louder at idle. I was assured last year by the dealer that it was normal and that there is nothing wrong. As I write this, the van is in the shop because the AC refuses to blow anything but hot air. I had the same problem in April and they said it appeared the AC was low on refrigerant from the factory, so they refilled it. This time they replaced the condenser and that didn't fix it, so now they're working on replacing the expansion valve. Let's see if that does the trick.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I don't know of a pump that is totally quiet when it is pumping.
Yeah I guess that's my question. Is it normal loud or too loud. I can hear it in the cockpit buzzing as I'm going down the road. I can hear it above the fan that also switches on when the A/C switches on (both the condenser fan and the inside air fan). It could be that it's just the normal loud but it certainly seems pretty loud. Plus the "buzzing" sound is a bit non-normal sounding for someone coming from an ICE car and a belt driven A/C compressor.
You could always go test drive another one and see for yourself.

The techs use this a a rule. Either they're all bad or its normal.. haha

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I've had mine for almost a year now and have had exactly the same problem from day one. It's an annoying humming or buzzing noise that seems louder at idle. I was assured last year by the dealer that it was normal and that there is nothing wrong. As I write this, the van is in the shop because the AC refuses to blow anything but hot air. I had the same problem in April and they said it appeared the AC was low on refrigerant from the factory, so they refilled it. This time they replaced the condenser and that didn't fix it, so now they're working on replacing the expansion valve. Let's see if that does the trick.
Mine had a hairline crack on the low side valve pipe. They replaced the pipes and all good since.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Got my hybrid back yesterday. Evidently the AC expansion valve was the problem. All traces of the noise are gone and I've got cold air. We'll see if the fix holds up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So to be clear here hefret, you no longer have the annoying buzzing sound coming from the engine compartment?

·
Registered
26 Posts
So to be clear here hefret, you no longer have the annoying buzzing sound coming from the engine compartment?
That's right, the buzzing is gone and things are as quiet as you'd expect a hybrid to be with the A/C running. Of course your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
That's right, the buzzing is gone and things are as quiet as you'd expect a hybrid to be with the A/C running. Of course your mileage may vary.
Its a shame we dont have a video for others to compare with since "noise" is so subjective.

I'm glad yours was fixed. ?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Got my hybrid back yesterday. Evidently the AC expansion valve was the problem. All traces of the noise are gone and I've got cold air. We'll see if the fix holds up.
I started a thread a while back about the exact same noise you are experiencing - https://www.pacificaforums.com/foru...general-discussion/31386-droning-sound-c.html

The noise continues to be very loud; in fact it may be getting louder. I am 100% convinced that the noise cannot possibly be normal. People that have rode in my van have commented on how annoying the noise is. But I brought the van to the dealer and they told me it's completely normal that the a/c compressor makes that much noise. Sadly, I don't have another Pachy to compare it to. In fact, I think there are still only a handful of them here in Honolulu, Hawaii. I guess I will have to wait until the a/c goes out completely so they will take the problem seriously. Very poor experience with the brand and Chrysler service thus far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got one of the first 2017 eHybrids and within the past 3 months just began hearing the buzzing sound. At least today it was very periodic on electric power while I had the climate control in auto mode with an outside temperature of 60F. The buzzing frequency would ramp up and stay high for about 25 seconds, then would drop to a lower frequency for about 10 seconds and would continue repeating. I tested in both park and drive with the same periodicity. If I turned the climate control system off the buzz immediately stopped. I recorded the sound, though the forums won't directly accept .m4a files, so you'll have to rename the file with that extension to open in any audio player. You can clearly hear the frequency ramp down near the end of the 27-second clip. I'll ask the dealer about the A/C expansion valve. Thanks for the tips.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited. Luxury White Pearl - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound - Sun Roof
79 Posts
I got one of the first 2017 eHybrids and within the past 3 months just began hearing the buzzing sound. At least today it was very periodic on electric power while I had the climate control in auto mode with an outside temperature of 60F. The buzzing frequency would ramp up and stay high for about 25 seconds, then would drop to a lower frequency for about 10 seconds and would continue repeating. I tested in both park and drive with the same periodicity. If I turned the climate control system off the buzz immediately stopped. I recorded the sound, though the forums won't directly accept .m4a files, so you'll have to rename the file with that extension to open in any audio player. You can clearly hear the frequency ramp down near the end of the 27-second clip. I'll ask the dealer about the A/C expansion valve. Thanks for the tips.
That attachments seems like an apple audio file save with a 'txt' extension. You'll need to fix that for people to listen to it.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,245 Posts
That attachments seems like an apple audio file save with a 'txt' extension. You'll need to fix that for people to listen to it.
I recorded the sound, though the forums won't directly accept .m4a files, so you'll have to rename the file with that extension to open in any audio player.

Reactions: soylentwhite

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2021 pacifica hybrid also makes this high pitch sound with the A/C on high. Im starting to think this is normal?

·
Registered
42 Posts
used my AC for the first time recently and it sounded very similar to my other 2018, and along the lines of the descriptions above. I believe most of the buzzing/whine is normal for electric drive AC pump (sigh) - I was hopeful it would be much quieter on new one...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Chiming in with the same issue with buzzing on our 2021, or 2020 did not make this noise?

·
Super Moderator
2,238 Posts
My 2021 also seems noisier than 2019, although I'm not exactly sure about it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts